Wtf! (Why the face) VVCFB left out of mail carrier drive AGAIN?!

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by Emily Litella, May 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Emily Litella

Emily Litella Well-Known Member

Received a plastic bag in our mail slot for the mail carriers food drive.

"The National Association of Letter Carriers Food Drive Will Benefit:

St. Mary's Food Bank Alliance
    St. Vincent de Paul Food Bank
    United Food Bank."

So as we approach the most critical time of the year when food bank donations are down, this food drive is leaving out the Valley View Food Bank AGAIN?

Can someone explain this? How is this possible?

Kudos to SCHOA for their ongoing food collection.

2. aggie

aggie Active Member

St. Mary's Food Bank Alliance can handle the volume of food that will be collected from the mail carriers. IT'S HUGE! This is what will happen to the food that is donated tomorrow and throughout the year: St. Mary’s distributes food to nearly 500 nonprofits partners in 13 Arizona counties. These agencies include food pantries, dining halls, homeless shelters, and more.

3. Emily Litella

Aggie, I would love to be wrong on this. I heard this too, but apparently their distribution does NOT include VVCFB.

I called St. Mary's main number and VVCFB is not on their list. Also, I called VVCFB and they confirmed that they are not receiving anything from the letter carrier drive.

A couple of years ago I read in the paper how 32% of their clients are Sun City food insecure seniors. Their Sun City location at 9849 N. 105th is open Monday through Friday from 9 to 1.

4. CMartinez

CMartinez Member

Emily, from what I remember, being in the corporate world, and being a part of these types of collections, one has to be a part of a national syndicate such as the United Way to be included on the distribution list. It costs lots of money to get added to the list, and even more to stay on the list. I suspect VVCFB does not have the money nor the clout to get on the big list of distributions, so all of the food collected in Sun City will more than likely leave the area to go the "nearly 500 nonprofits partners in 13 Arizona counties."

St Mary's now has a location within easy distance of Sun City. So, those needing services locally can get them within easy access.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  5. Emily Litella

Thank you for the explanation.

6. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

My wife is a retired postal employee and we have always supported the drive. This year we noted the absence of Jessie's food shelf again on the list and were disappointed. Valley View Food bank does a great job and they need the donations so we may just forgo this year's letter carriers and drop food at SCHOA for them.

Emily Litella likes this.
  7. Emily Litella

We won't ever donate to the mail carriers food drive again. The fact that VVCFB was left out has nothing at all to do with the mail carriers or the sponsors.

I dropped off three bags at the El Mirage location this morning. I spoke very briefly to Jessie and he confirmed that they won't be receiving any of the food from the drive. Very kind and humble man, not a bad word to say about anyone. He did confirm that not receiving anything from the mail carriers food drive will make filling the summer need much more difficult.

What I did the last time this happened was I brought one bag of food a week to the food bank until the end of that year. Every little bit helps.

I volunteered there in 2015 and so I remember the things most in demand and I donate those things. I remember that some folks either couldn't drive or didn't have transportation out of Sun City to go to the El Mirage location when the food bank moved in early 2016. We now have a satellite here on 105th.

If you can't make the dropoff hours during the week, the thrift shop on Peoria can take non perishable donations on Saturday.

8. CMartinez

CMartinez Member

Emily, based upon your experience, what are the items most in demand? I would find it most helpful to know, so as I donate, I am making the contributions where it is needed most. Are there also non-food items needed? Thank you for all that you do, it is so appreciated.

9. Emily Litella

Carole, I was only there in 2015, and I volunteered mostly in the pantry, so I did get to see the folks that came in and the types of food that they needed most.

From what I remember, they did get donations from local stores of breads and pastry type food frequently.

The canned food meals turned over quickly and they were always in need of peanut butter and jelly. Over the summer I will call them and ask what they need the most before I buy.

I cater what I donate based on the needs of the very young and the very old. I try to buy healthy canned goods - lower sugar, lower sodium, as there were elderly and diabetic clients. Also, when I donate soups, I try to make them a chicken, bean, or even beef - very hearty soups that can be used as a meal. Other canned items like tuna fish (in water not oil), chili, tomato sauce with meat, pasta that is vegetable and whole wheat, brown rice, all kinds of beans, canned and dry, diced and whole canned tomatoes. Hard to provide healthy prepared food nowadays. The mac and cheese and other easily prepared pasta dinners went fast.

I remember getting some requests for adult diapers and pet food, as well as some gluten free.

I always include stuff like soft toothbrushes and toothpaste (child and adult), denture cleaner, floss, soaps, other personal care items.

If I think of more I'll come back later. Or if anyone can add to this list, feel free.

CMartinez likes this.
  10. Emily Litella

The best thing we can do is let others know that our food bank was not included in the carriers drive, and that the need will be great this summer.

Seems unconscionable (sp?) to me that people in Sun City would be asked to donate food where every bit of the food would not benefit the local food bank on 105th in Sun City. I'm not saying that I begrudge anyone food, but I always try to support anything Sun City first. There is still a stigma among our population of elderly that there is shame going to a food bank, and many will not seek help until they are desperate.

I missed our food bank greatly when they initially moved to El Mirage. So many SC people volunteered there, and I felt a great sense of kindness and community there.

CMartinez likes this.
  11. pegmih

pegmih Active Member

Good info, Emily.
    This year I gave food to the Postman. Next year I will give to Valley View.

CMartinez and Emily Litella like this.
  12. Emily Litella

Oatmeal and healthy cereals.

13. Emily Litella

Thanks, Peg. I'd like to emphasize one more time that the decision yo exclude our food bank has/had nothing to do with the carriers or the sponsors.

The thing is now that it's done and over with just to focus on helping our food bank over the summer.

CMartinez likes this.