Word to the wise about buying in Sun City

Discussion in 'Non Sun City Related Discussions' started by Emily Litella, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Emily Litella

Emily Litella Active Member

No, I'm not a real estate broker. I'm just a browser. (Yeah, I don't look like a browser, lol.)

Always ask for an SPDS before you fall in love with a property. Ask questions. Check to see if permits were pulled for major work. Check for any possible assessments, liens, etc. Walk around the neighborhood and notice who the neighbors are and if they're friendly. (Most are friendly in.Sun City.)

Most of all ask questions. At some of the open houses that I have dropped by, the agent knows less about the property and community than they should.

Beware of open houses where the agent has a mortgage broker on site with them.

I have had at least two agents tell me at an open house that they're expecting an offer by other folks who just left, only to see the property still available a week later.

Do your due diligence.

That is all.

2. Emily Litella

I would also add that if you're buying a condo, ask to meet with a member of the board, and ask to see the bylaws and cc&rs. Inquire about any long range plans and schedule for maintaining the association property and grounds, as well as any future increases in monthly fees and/or assessments. I think the vast majority of condo associations are well managed, but it's good to know what you're getting into.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  3. Cynthia

Cynthia Active Member

Or make an offer after seeing it online and Google driving the streets. Haha. It happens.*

4. Emily Litella

Lol. Yeah, I know several people who did just that. That's where having an agent you can really trust is crucial.

5. Cynthia

Cynthia Active Member

Raising my hand. Yep. I did it. Because I had a great agent.

6. BPearson

BPearson New Member

Old thread, but worth the revisit. Strongly suggest you find a good realtor. These days the good ones have a list of clients and often they send texts to them before the house ever hits the market.

7. Emily Litella

Beware of self-proclaimed #1 advertisements and those folks who only have five star Zillow ratings. Zillow reviews are a joke. Also, you want someone who lives here year round.
    I was very fortunate to find someone who is on top of everything, shared our values and is ethical, and who looked out for our interests.
    I now know someone who I would be proud to recommend in a PM. I don't feel comfortable posting names anymore.
    Word of mouth is everything here in Sun City.