The Community That Changed a Nation...

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Jul 3, 2019.

1. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Having J. Edgar on one's side, telling one what to do, is not always (ever?) seen as being a positive thing in all quarters.

IndependentCynic likes this.
  2. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

3. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Nice link.
    Another of the 'Build it and they will come" stories.
    And we are here as living proof that it works.

4. BPearson

This weeks installment just got posted. We're getting to the meat and potatoes of the community we all love. We are looking at calendar year 1960 and just for shirts and giggles i have questioned one of the statements made over and over again. I suspect i will ruffle a few feathers, but in no way does it impact the tremendous job the guys at DEVCO did in getting us up and running. You can read it here.

5. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Feathers were made to be ruffled.

6. BPearson

Fair comment e, though i try and keep my comments more safe than sorry. I know the political leanings of many of my colleagues at the museum and am mindful not to offend. That said most often, my efforts are to be more pithy than pissy. Perhaps i failed on this one?

For those who haven't clicked on the link and read away, SS is not a reference to Social Security. The standard line at the museum and every book, magazine and presentation we give alludes to the 100,000 visitors to Sun City's opening 3 day weekend. I've always been suspect of the number, here's why: In 1960 the population of the state of Arizona was 1.3 million people. that means roughly 8% of them traveled to nowhere in the west valley to see it. Worse yet, had the opening been 12 hour days (which i doubt it was, there were no street lights), they would have had 1500 cars every hour showing up. Parking alone would have been impossible.

Now, back to the SS reference. I simply stated i am no Sean Spicer when it comes to arguing crowd size. That may be one of the nicer things ever said about him during his time working as press secretary. Besides, in that he is going to be on Dancing with the Stars this season, i felt the mention couldn't hurt him given the millions reading the museum site weekly (that's not a lie, just hyperbole).

I am curious, did i cross the line? When i write these articles i try and be edgy, not rude, obnoxious or politically bombastic. Help me out here gang, i've got lots more articles to write and should i step more carefully as i craft my words?

7. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Crossed no line
    of mine.

8. IndependentCynic

IndependentCynic Active Member

BP, you have always been respectful of civility. That's the only thing one needs to worry about and you've never failed that I've noticed.

"Lines," IMHO, are imaginary, things we humans invent when we want to deny someone their right to voice an opinion different from our own. We would do well to consider the merits of opinions which differ from our own. The world could be a better place for it.

carptrash likes this.
  9. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

I'd be in favor of starting a thread with this comment, perhaps not in the Sun City section?

10. BPearson

Good insight E. By the time the story ends, readers will be amazed and in awe of the legacy he left.

I thought your comment was a fair question and one i ask myself whenever i write. There's times i become less sensitive to people's perceptions, depending on the audience and how frustrated by what is happening around me.

11. BPearson

12. BPearson

Amazing. I am almost never ahead of the game. I like writing under pressure. Imagine my surprise when I began scratching out the column for the week after next. Just didn’t hardly seem right.

This is even more sick; i was really, really looking forward to it. The series will continue on Thursday with 1964, 1965...The Calm Before The Storm. It’s good, but nothing like the one I started today. Entitled Saving Sun City, I get to explore the challenges and solutions John Meeker faced and solved.

But alas, you’ll have to wait almost two weeks for it.

Bummer, but worth the wait.

13. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Well I'm late in telling you that I've enjoyed your series. My grandparents bought in January 1966 and that was when I began my visits to Sun City. My sister is now the 3rd generation to own that home. Can't wait to see if your stories jog some memories.

14. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

So we can all sit around humming the thread's new theme song, (every thread should have one) Carly Simon's "Anticipation."

15. BPearson

Yup, brings back the fond memories of that ketchup commercial.

carptrash likes this.
  16. BPearson

Emily Litella likes this.
  17. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

One at a time. You know what we say about football teams who look past the next game. Same thing is true about writers.

18. BPearson

I really enjoy researching and writing them. This one (coming next week) though was truly a labor of love. When you read it, you will understand why. Too your point, i didn't start until it until this weeks was rady to go. Normally i write them on the weekend, but i couldn't wait. The story is that damned good and not enough people know just what John Meeker meant and did for Sun City.

19. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

I'd like to see 103 Avenue changed to Meeker Ave from Thunderbird to 99th because who need an intersection of 103 & 99? It should never happen. So let's have Meeker Ave instead.

20. BPearson

A street name is nice carp, but i'm holding out till the day the RCSC buys the Lakes Club and it becomes the Meeker Community Center. Damned fitting in that Bob Johnson fired him the day it burned, just prior to opening. The good news is, common sense, and Del Webb prevailed and John came back. Best of all, the Lakes Club opened and was the go-to place for potential buyers to the community. The tragedy was, the two times it was on the market, no one had the foresight to buy it.

Long before they rebuild/renovate Lakeview Rec Center, that building should be in the amenity package. It would make that project far less daunting.