The Bright(er) Side of Being Housebound During COVID 19

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by aggie, May 8, 2020.

1. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Well I guess my posts have mostly been about complaining and anger. There have been some welcome and surprising pluses to home confinement. Please feel free to add your own!

1. We've saved a lot of money by not eating out our usual 5+ times a week.
    2. No door-to-door salespersons or religious propaganda.
    3. No need to shave my legs and still be able to wear shorts!

2. fixj

fixj Active Member

The things I can do far outweigh the things I can't do.

3. IndependentCynic

IndependentCynic Active Member

1. more recreational reading
    2. more Internet browsing for news/research
    3. more frequent contact with distant friends/relatives
    4. more time outside -- puttering in the yard/garden, walking/playing with the dog, cooking on the grill

4. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

All good stuff gang. I find myself being more introspective. Not pretty when you come to understand you really, really love the concept of social distancing. We never go back to Minnesota but my younger sister set up a zoom meeting with all the siblings and that was pretty cool.

5. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

1. Listening to music (Nat King Cole Trio right now)
    2. Watching movies (last watched, "the Way of the Gun")
    3. Interesting foods (Who knew I had a _____ in the freezer?)
    4. Socializing with a very small group
    5. Writing letters to the paper
    6. Reading, but many of my books are too serious, I need a good pot boiler.
    6. More, lots more.

6. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Just found out that we all get a 6 month reprieve on getting a driver's license renewed if it expires between May & September! I was dreading going to the MVD and will wait for things to settle down.

carptrash likes this.
  7. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Filed for mail in early ballots! First time for that because don't want to get stuck in 3 hour lines like we've been seeing on TV and I want my vote counted.

carptrash likes this.
  8. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Mail ballots are good, but are they really a way to make sure your vote gets counted?

9. Mail in ballots go to a central location whereas paper ballots from polling places, can be lost, stolen or cannot be produced for some reason. I have been both a poll watcher and an election judge when I lived in Chicago and know all the tricks.

I getting too old to go to the polling station and bamboozling the workers by refusing to show a drivers license or voter card because I don’t have to. Rather I produce utility bill, car registration, internet bill, phone bill, tax bill and ask for a ballot. I am told that I am required to show a picture ID and say that’s not true. A supervisor comes over and then asks for part of my Social Security number which I refuse to do because it clearly states on the card not for identification and I refuse to commit a felony and then have you arrested for aiding and abetting a felony. The supervisor then calls downtown, speaking to an assistant State’s Attorney, then I speak to them and ask if I am correct with my argument. They are silent and then run some nonsense about provisional ballot. I tell them the ultimate proof is my signature on the ballot affidavit compared to my original registration. Works every time but takes an hour or so.

As General Patton said of battles, I love it, God help me, I love it.

10. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

I was illegally challenged at the polls once, fortunately someone who knew the laws, as opposed to the Republican who did not want me to be able to vote, came along and it was fine. Probably only took 20 minutes, which was fine. I've stood in line to vote for longer than that. In the rain.

11. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

I learned to use the Zoom feature! We got to watch our granddaughter's graduation in Philly. Not the same as being there but still great to share the event.

David Martin and carptrash like this.
  12. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Okay, I have to preface this by saying I hope I don't jinx myself. This is also a touch tongue in cheek.....

We have been VERY careful about social distancing, wearing masks, using hand sanitizer and in general living as hermits for the past 6 months. The heat has been harder to tolerate than being housebound. What is the bright(er) side?? The coming election is soon upon us and the phone calls, ads & mailers will stop!! Trump, Pence & their Family Members are doing all the Biden supporters a big favor by continuing to hold rallies with shoulder to shoulder unmasked herd mentality crowds. I am so ashamed of seeing video of crowds in my home states. Arizona rally attendees, Ducey, McSally & Lesko should be so ashamed of their behaviors and lack of leadership. The only benefit of these rallies is it will probably eliminate votes for Trump as an increase in cases & death follows each of these idiotic gatherings.

There....now I feel better. :mad:

13. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

It is important in these times to occasionally do something that will just make you feel better. I just finished reading Thomas Frank's new book (he talks about writing while being home-bound by the virus, so it's new) "The People, NO" in which he points out the importance of not putting down or trying to shame those who disagree with us this political season. It does no good, gets folks to entrench deeper and squeezes off any routes of communication that might still exist. For those with time on their hands I recommend this book (my copy will be going back to the Sun City Library later today.

14. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Reading has been one of the great benefits of this confinement. I don't intend to put down the TRUMP Rally supporters for their choice in candidates but rather their lack of social responsibility as to how it relates to spreading COVID to others.

15. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

"But"
    They are doing what they think is best. Or something. That is their choice. My choice is to stay the F away from all of that. My choice. I find that I have some things in common with the trimp agenda. For example, 'Clean out the SWAMP." In my opinion the trumps and his cronies have taken corruption and self-gain to a new low but that is sort of beside the point. It is something that needs to happen but I certainly do not hear the Democrats talking about it. Let's really look at what we as Americans have in common rather than what we disagree on. It is the only way out of . . . . . ...... civil war II ?

16. fixj

fixj Active Member

Double lockdown with Covid and a blanket of thick smoke from fires. At least with Covid I could be outside.
    But the good news is the absence of political ads, yard signs, robocalls. Biden ahead by 25 pts in WA. Gov also well ahead.

17. Well, the sheltering in place is sort of good news, bad news for me.

The good news is that I have had the chance to try new recipes from other parts of the world thanks to the At Home section in the Sunday NY Times. I have also been developing some recipes of my own, some of which could be considered vegan, although most of their foods I wouldn’t eat on a bet.
    The bad news is due the oppressive this summer, being inside and not necessarily benefiting from the above, I have bulked out about twenty pounds. The weather put a crimp in my walking and Fairway was closed so no walking track, stationary bike or weights.

Speaking of the rec centers, I missed the last Board Luvfest due to doc appointment. I wanted to ask if all the workers have been tested and not that temperature thing but the Qtip up the nose and if so, is there some kind of schedule for continuing testing. I’m not being paranoid but I have most of the conditions that put me at high risk. Also who cleans the machines between users and how stringent is the mask policy enforced. I don’t want to get seriously ill because some bean bag thinks their rights are being shredded because of mask wearing.

One last point on the rec centers and that is the “we want a refund “ bunch. The level of ignorance of these people amazes me. So, I will give you a very quick course in an aspect of contract law. The agreement you signed when purchasing your house or condo regarding rec fees amongst other things is called a contract of adhesion. An example that even trump voters/Fox viewers would understand is an insurance policy. This is when one party to the contract sets forth all terms and conditions. Any other terms and/or conditions agreed upon MUST be reduced to writing and made part of the contract. In this instance, think amount of coverage, deductible, etc. If it isn’t in the contract, it doesn’t exist. As far as I know there is no provision for pro-rata refunds for closing rec centers because of pandemics. That should settle this nonsense. Class dismissed.

David Martin likes this.
  18. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

You didn't ask if there are any questions.

19. Were there any questions and what were the answers?

20. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

"There are more questions than answers."