SCHOA wants to know how you feel about...

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Jun 15, 2018.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

The Sun City Home Owners Association (SCHOA, which is free standing from the RCSC) is looking for your thoughts on the Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (CC&R's). For those of you unfamiliar with them, they are a part of your deed restrictions filed with the county when you buy the property. You can find them here.

I've written this often, but it's worth repeating: SCHOA is unlike any other Home Owners Association anywhere. Even our counterpart PORA in Sun City West is different. Their enforcement is limited to letter writing and trying to resolve problems internally. Once a home owner in SCW refuses to comply, the Rec Centers of Sun City West (RCSCW) becomes the organization that adjudicates it.

In Sun City, SCHOA is the end-all-be-all. They deal with every complaint from start to finish. Most people have no idea, but they handle thousands of complaints each year, resolving 90% of them quickly with the most challenging taking longer (up to and including going to court for a judgement).

While folks rip SCHOA because they don't like something in their neighborhood, the simple fact is SCHOA can only enforce what are in the deed restrictions on file at the county. And in my mind, the beauty of our CC&R's is the simplicity in complying with them. Other communities have bibles on what you can and cannot do. Horrible way to live in my mind.

Of late, the biggest gripe has been about detached garages. It's been an issue for years and sadly the misunderstanding by some is they can't have them. The CC&R's are clear, they are legal as long as they meet the set-backs and are in the back half of the property. Corner lots are the most easy to configure a detached garage and obviously are the most visible.

In an effort to address the concerns, SCHOA has formed a committee to study what if anything need be done about the CC&R's. They meet the 4th Friday of every month at 10:30 at SCHOA's offices and they are open to the public.

In addition, SCHOA is soliciting comments from community members. They just posted an on-line survey and you can find the link to it here. Take a moment and let them know what you think. When owners get involved, it is how the community works best.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  2. Emily Litella

Emily Litella Well-Known Member

I received the email and it's on the to-do list this weekend.

I had no idea until the past couple of years here how overworked the Compliance Department is. I do think that they try to work with people to find reasonable solutions.

3. BPearson

Had coffee with the president of SCHOA yesterday and i asked him to email me the latest figures on compliance closures. Once he does i will post them. They are staggering.

It is so crazy to read the letters to the editor where people say SCHOA does nothing. I especially appreciate they are returning to their roots and focusing on compliance, all the other stuff is secondary to maintaining the community standards.

4. Emily Litella

Emily Litella Well-Known Member

Well I've submitted my two cents. Hope it helps.

5. BPearson

Good on you emily, hopefully others will do the same. I was able to read the comments to date (being on the committee) and was pleasantly surprised by them. Cleanly people are interested, though there is a need for SCHOA to do a better job of reaching owners with more understandable information. What i have always found is there is an ongoing education process of how self-governance works and what each organization does. Assuming people who move here know, is just not realistic.

6. CMartinez

CMartinez Member

I answered the SCHOA email with the same items I had mentioned before; please clear up the addendums and all of the other clutter in the language, and make them clear, concise, and to the point. When one goes to read what is the real way to address things, it is so confusing to read all of the addendums, to the point the original intent seems to be lost. Received a nice reply from James Hunter, agreeing with the need to clean up some of the verbiage. Thank You James for the reply.