"Return To Normal."

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Apr 12, 2021.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

I drove by the Sun Dial Rec Center this morning and there was a goodly number of cars in the lot. If memory serves me, today's meeting was billed as the "return to normal" vote. I think the date for that to happen was the middle of May. Obviously something we've all been looking/longing for.

Aggie, if you went, fill us please in. Otherwise we have to wait for the video to be released. I know i should go, but until the gm and a couple of the board members are gone, it's better if i don't.

Anyway, i went to the Bell bowling greens last Friday morning to meet with some people and there was the biggest crowd there i had seen in better than a year. It was just club bowls but the return to normal email had gone out the day before, the weather was gorgeous and they had moved the starting time to a more bowler friendly point. All of which drove the crowd size.

So, i am curious: What are you looking forward to as life appears to be on the verge of returning to normal in Sun City? What did you miss for the past year and are really looking forward to starting up again?

2. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Didn't go to the meeting but watched the video. The May 17th start-up of opening the facilities sounds reasonable to me. I would like to see them require any employees that chose not to get the vaccine to be still required to wear a mask if their duties include interacting with members within the 6 foot social distancing requirement. It is the individual's choice whether to get vaccinated but we members should be protected by the choice not to be vaccinated.

I agree with not waiving the 2nd & 3rd readings of the motion because we need to continue to watch the statistics. I follow the numbers on the AZDHS website but to me they are many times manipulated and difficult to get a true picture of COVID in Maricopa County & Sun City. Delaying the vote will allow for an adjustment in the date if cases should surge more than the current 600+ daily level. A more important figure to watch is the hospital availability figures. With the winter visitors leaving our figures will hopefully improve.

The fact that I may not die when exposed to COVID helps, but I'm a long way from being comfortable around people when I don't know their vaccination status. I've enjoyed the time at home except for all the meal planning and preparation. Getting together with vaccinated friends knowing we are safer I do look forward to.

3. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

I found this disclaimer on a site for a park located in Maricopa County. This statement may be a result of the latest Ducey signed order that protects against lawsuits due to COVID exposure.

"Exposure to COVID-19 is an inherent risk in any public location where people are present; we cannot guarantee you will not be exposed during your visit.
    The CDC advises that older adults and people of any age who have serious underlying medical conditions might be at higher risk for severe illness from Coronavirus. Guests should evaluate their own risk in determining whether to attend. People who show no symptoms can spread Coronavirus if they are infected, any interaction with the general public poses an elevated risk of being exposed to Coronavirus. By coming to the park, you acknowledge and agree that you assume these inherent risks associated with attendance. Some images shown throughout this website do not represent current operational guidelines or health and safety measures such as face covering and physical distancing requirements."

4. BPearson

Just got done watching the meeting myself and it was interesting. I've said before i find myself not to be critical of whatever decisions they make, no one really knows. What i do look for is consistency. There were several inconsistency's and i was surprised no one pointed them out. As aggie mentioned, the April 17 date is doable. The gm was concerned for her employees, and she felt giving them additional time to get vaccinated seemed critical to that later date of May 17. What was left unsaid was what about those employees who refuse to get their shot(s)? Seems to me i heard them say they couldn't ask if employees had been vaccinated.

The second ambiguity was far larger. The RCSC president took umbrage about a board member's comment regarding the lack for safety, even for a singular employee. I'd buy it, except, we just minutes before watched them open up ten pin bowling for league members living outside Sun City to participate in open bowling. Throw into the mix non Sun City residents have been golfing in our community while the rest of us stayed locked down and it seems disingenuous. In fact, we have no idea how many bowlers and golfers who are non-residents have or will ever get vaccinated or even if they come here sick.

I get it. As we have noted before, it is about the almighty dollar. Both sports need outside revenue to keep the doors open. I would feel much better if they just said that rather than hiding their other decisions behind keeping employees safe. Or, maybe golf and ten pin bowling employees don't need to be kept safe.

5. SCR

SCR Active Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but
    the CDC has not declared the pandemic over.
    The WHO has not declared the pandemic over.

Until that occurs, we must all continue to wear a mask, social distance, wash hands, etc till the CDC and WHO declares the
    pandemic over.

If you are willing to stop wearing a mask, not social distance, and washing hand, etc regardless whether or not you have had
    both Covid shots that's on you and I hope you are not one of the unfortunate who have both shots who have gotten Covid.

Restaurants have been judged to be the most susceptible place to contract covid.
    Want to risk Covid infection for a a night out at a restaurant? Go for it!

I'll wait till the CDC says the pandemic is over. And even then, based on the CDC contradictory statements I will be very cautious
    about "returning to normal".

Returning to normal will not occur in 2021. When you get your flu shot (if you do) be prepared to get a Covid shot also.

Masks will be with us for the foreseeable future.

Getting back to normal is all about money - not health and safety. ​

6. Say What

Say What Active Member

McAdam is nothing but a very selfish POS. How can we as MEMBERS not cardholders as we are referred to remove her from the board. We need real security at the recreation centers. Not only do we have a homeless problem in Sun City, we have a mental problem with some of our residents here that I have witnessed while working out at Fairway multiple times.

7. BPearson

Say What; you really have to find a way to be able to express your opinions :). Just want to point out, McAdam's voted to go forward with the proposal but she was on point that they need consider the costs that may come from the results. I for one find it hard to believe none of these results will fall under the perimeters of PIF. For example, we did the electronic signage using PIF and i suspect we will have to replace monitors before the 15 years are up.

Just to be clear SCR, the header wasn't my thoughts, but how the gm et al billed the proposal that was introduced at the board meeting on Monday. The simple truth for most of us will be we will return to normal when we feel it is safe, no matter what they decide. Your last point was the most the most accurate; several of the decisions that have been made by the gm/board have been about money. The ones where they hid behind the safety of employees were the ones that impacted the bulk of the members or in the gm's terms, cardholders.

8. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Not going to be normal anytime soon unless you just gobble up everything Governor Ducey feeds us. 700 new cases and 40 deaths reported today. How is that having COVID under control? Dropping the mask mandate for all K-12 schools? How is that going to curb the spread? It's already more hazardous going to the grocery store, pharmacy, and if you dare, indoor restaurant dining. Even going in to order food to go exposes you to all the non-masked occupants. Geesh....I wish more people were concerned about the safety of others.

As far as our positive testing rates being in such great shape, bah. I think it was in Kara Christs speech on Friday that she showed charts regarding testing. So many of the negative tests that go into the calculations are re-tests. How many government employees, sports figures, private school employees are constantly tested?

An interesting part of Ducey's new orders is that only government employees or private companies with contracts with the government can't ask vaccination status or require employees to be vaccinated. So, it would seem that the RCSC could require employees be vaccinated if their duties include coming in contact with members.

Better end my rant here. So frustrating.

BPearson likes this.
  9. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

Using the pedal boats at Lakeview. Made no sense to me why using them wasn't allowed during all this time....

10. BPearson

Nope, it didn't. What would make sense would be for you to join us on the Del Webb Sun Cities Museum board. Your background would be an incredible asset.

11. suncityjack

I appreciate the offer and it's just the sort of project I'm passionate about, but I have resigned from all my committee and board involvements and won't be taking on any others for the foreseeable future. Attempting to balance my 10 years of caregiving with settling into a new home and community and trying to be an active participant in way too many committees, teams, and boards really took its toll and I need to reassess priorities and try to get my life back on track. I need to focus. Thanks anyway.

12. BPearson

I've had those periods myself scj. Eventually i get bored and need to be involved again. I will say, i am more picky these days and whatever i do needs to be interesting, challenging and doable. When you are ready, let me know, we'd love to have you on board.

13. suncityjack

Appreciate it. Thanks for understanding.

14. suncityjack

Bill Pearson, Noticed this from AZ Humanities newsletter and thought it might be something you or a museum board member might want to do re: museum:
    #TellTheFullStory on Social Media
    May 1

What special place in your community helps #TellTheFullStory? For Preservation Month this year, we invite you to share a place that helps tell a little-known or underrepresented piece of the American story. It could be a place tied to local, national, or even your own family history. We’ll be highlighting a selection of your places in the coming months, so be sure to use #TellTheFullStory and tag @SavingPlaces on Twitter and Instagram before May 31!

BPearson likes this.
  15. BPearson

Thanks SCJ, i will take a look at that. Been busy fighting with Arizona State Historical Society over a piece they wrote at the end of last year regarding Sun City. I asked them to allow a rebuttal but they were less than interested.

16. suncityjack

Geez, would've expected better from ASHS--nothing like a group that's supposed to be setting records straight not wanting to set records straight! Good luck with the fight--sorry there has to be one in the first place....