Owner operated...

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Jun 9, 2016.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Let's start with a very simple question: Who owns Sun City?

Nope, not a trick question, but one that is easily confused by many. If we trace back our history, we will find the first 18 years were easy, because DEVCO nurtured the community with a guiding hand to help shape the ultimate outcome. They knew upon build-out they would leave and then it would become incumbent on the residents to step up and do their part.

Again from a historical perspective, DEVCO began "giving" the assets of the community to the governing body as early as 1961. Community Center (now Oakmont rec center) was the first, but the company quickly rid themselves of centers so as to insure they weren't the end all, be all. The golf courses came later, but again, DEVCO never intended to run them long term.

So now we know everything is owned by the RCSC..which ultimately begs the question: Who is the RCSC?

For anyone who knows me, i have very strong feelings on this subject, but before i travel that path, i'd love to hear others thoughts on the above questions in bold.

2. g47

g47 New Member

I would think that the RCSC is every deeded property owner.

3. BPearson

Thanks for the answer g47; perhaps this is one of those mindless questions i roll around in my mind but means nothing to others. The simple answer for me is, as g47 suggested, we own them. I know lots of staffer's and board members who would argue that's not the case, but i have no interest in debating the legalities of the Articles of Incorporation.

From the outset, the DEVCO goal was to build the community and give it to us (the property owners) to run. When DEVCO left (1978) we literally became the "owner operators." It was an enormous responsibility, and one that over time was structured with "safeguards" for abuse by those who might become power hungry to build something for their own gratification.
    Committee's, quarterly general membership meetings and recall petitions were all part and parcel of our governing documents. In the past ten years, many of those safeguards have been stripped away. Boards have taken positions, often from recommendations by management. and removed them and created a more autonomous structure.

It's been a long, slowly crafted process of elimination, but in my humble opinion, one that has changed the dynamic of the Sun City sense of self-governance. Tragic, and in the past couple of weeks we have begun to see exactly why it is a bad thing for Sun City residents in the long run.

I'm frustrated, angry and feel betrayed by some of those we have elected and hired. Prior to the meeting on Monday, i will let folks see why i feel this way.

4. J_and_V

J_and_V Member

My answer was, we do. It's part of why we moved here. I don't understand, however, why residents hear about MAJOR "things" for the first time as the board is about to vote to make it happen.

I do not like this.

5. BPearson

Amazing isn't it. In this age of instant information, the board feels compelled to keep everything on the qt. As owners of the community, don't we have the right to know as quickly as possible. Hell, i used to think just board meetings should be streamed on the RCSC website, but it looks to me like all work sessions should be podcast as well.

What say you board members?

6. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

Easy to do now with youtube live or other live channels.

7. J_and_V

J_and_V Member

For some reason, and I think if we knew that reason a lot more would make sense, our board is afraid of anyone knowing what is being done.

8. BPearson

There is no good reason not to show those in the community what is going on at these meetings. The more transparent they are, the more people are drawn to them. The more they push people away, the more they can do as they please. So simple eh?

9. Cynthia

Not all Sun Cities are closed meeting. I know the one in Florida has posted the meeting online for many years...even non-members are free to watch. I used to watch them when I was thinking about moving there and it gave me a better idea of the community. Most cities do post the general meeting online. It's common practice. It really makes Sun City look dated. It could take the new generation to change this circle the wagons approach.

10. Cynthia

I continually question the reasons for this because its not as if they are getting kickbacks or trying to maintain a political career, like we assume many politicians do. Why do they do it? How does it benefit them to not listen to the community. I do not understand their motives. I suppose they could get a person or two or the years but it seems to be continual regardless of who is elected into their short term.

I really did think I was buying into a place that cared more about what residents want. I still like Sun City but that part of it is quite disheartening. Its not a small thing...its a lot of money. All of our monies they are playing with.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016