Masks! Help stop the spread of COVID 19.

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by aggie, Jun 18, 2020.

1. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

I thought it might be best to break out a new thread on this topic as it should prove a major battle over the next few weeks. It was getting hard to wade through so many posts for specific topics.

Phoenix has called for a special council meeting tomorrow to vote on the requirement to wear masks. This would come before the proposed rally on 6/23 and we'll have to wait to see the outcome.

I'm not sure how mask wearing would be enforced but maybe it would be the needed push for those that didn't think it was important. I watched the whole Ducey conference yesterday and it was like COVID 19 just emerged a week ago. It was interesting that he kept mentioning the rise in cases along the southern border of AZ but never mentioned the huge rise in cases in Maricopa County or the Phoenix area.

Now we need Clint Hickman, our District 4 Supervisor(& basically Sun City's Mayor) to put forth an order for the unincorporated areas of Maricopa County be require to wear masks.

2. BruceW

BruceW Active Member

I have worked for Home Depot through all of this and our employees have a choice... wear a mask properly or work somewhere else. We disinfect everything multiple times per day and work at keeping distance from each other and customers. Our store is one of the busiest in CO, we get long lines waiting to get in. From day 1 we have only had one confirmed case among our employees. That person was in isolation for the proper time and has returned to work fully recovered. Masks and social distancing works.

CDC states testing has shown that getting COVID from a surface that someone infected has touched is rare and so is getting it from someone that is asymptomatic. So basically someone infected has to be close enough and breath, cough, sneeze, etc. to spread this virus.

Logically it seems that if we ALL do the simple stuff like wearing a mask (over both nose and mouth), use hand sanitizer, and disinfect stuff we touch we could beat this thing pretty easy.

However, Americans are too entitled IMHO. No one wants to be told what to do, even if it is for their own good... freedom they claim. BS, what about the rest of us that want to be FREE of this virus.

3. IndependentCynic

IndependentCynic Active Member

The MC Dept of Public Health actually has a pretty good set of "guidelines" -- now they need to put some teeth in them for those who are too selfish to cooperate voluntarily. And yes, the MC Board of Health/Supervisors need to put out an order, not just suggestions. If they can regulate how fast I drive, where I can park, they can regulate this!

According to the MCDPH those 65 or older account for 71% of those who have been hospitalized and 94% of deaths from CV19 in MC. Yet nearly 60% of all COVID-19 infections reported have been among those under 45 years old.

That means it's not just a Seniors problem. It means everyone needs to wear masks, not just seniors. And everywhere, not just in SC. We're a mobile society, so SC wearing masks and neighboring cities (Peoria, Glendale, Surprise) not wearing masks won't work. And vice versa. It has to be everyone everywhere! It has to be mandatory, not just suggested. There are far too many scofflaws, so it needs consequences -- a fine for not adhering. And it needs to remain in effect until there's a vaccine or demonstrable herd immunity backed up by actual facts/tests.

4. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Hey Bruce; hope all is well. Someday eh?

I must be getting old...let me rephrase that, i am getting old. I actually thought Ducey was doing a fair to middling job early on. He got sideways when trump decided to come to Phoenix. Like almost everyone else on the right, he fell into the lust-boy love affair of the orange one. The day before he came he announced he was reopening and the day after he left, he did reopen. As pointed out, the state never did reach the CDC guidelines for reopening.

Since then i've watched as he has moaned about "fake news" and pretended the numbers weren't rising. Testing, too much testing has become the wail from the right. Really? Yesterday when he backtracked, i was disappointed. Not because he allowed individual communities to mandate masks, but because he dumped it off on the mayors rather than pulling on his big boy pants and acting like he cared how many of us die in the coming months. Sadly, the numbers will continue to climb, no matter what the stable genius says about that hot weather killing it off.

Masks help. COSTCO mandated them if you wanted to shop there. Well done on their part; way too many others have been wishy-washy. As Carole said, we are still in the first wave of this. We have no idea what the second wave this fall will look like. The tragedy is it appears too many have decided a bunch of oldsters are going to have to die for the sake of the economy. If that's your position, the least you can do is put a freaking mask on while out and about.

5. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

It is not (opinion) just that Americans can not be told what to do, it is that they do not believe what the folks telling them what to do are saying. Look around the web. Hell, look around Washington DC. The virus is a hoax. Wearing masks is unhealthy. We need to get immune. it will just disappear. And it is not just "kids today." It is lots of old geezers today.

6. IndependentCynic

Just wear a mask -- no significant freedom of yours will be challenged by doing so and it just might save your life of that or someone dear to you.

upload_2020-6-19_11-10-5.png

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  7. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

So can we agree that those who do not do these things are not "decent human beings?" And the USA is now over 120,000. Dead.

8. IndependentCynic

Mask mandates so far in our area -- Glendale, Surprise, Phoenix. El Mirage strongly suggests, but didn't mandate.

Peoria and Maricopa County unknown at this point.

Edit -- 7pm -- Maricopa enacted mask order effective 12am Sat. -- so that means SC!!
    Edit -- 10:45pm -- Peoria mask order issued tonite, effective Sunday.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  9. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

I know it will be hard for enforcement but it's about time for everyone make an effort to protect others. Here's the mandate in a nutshell:

Wear a mask no matter what city, town or unincorporated area you live in. The county mandate requires anyone age 6 and older to wear a face covering while inside a "place of public accommodation," including grocery stores and other retail shops, hotels, restaurants and bars, gyms and on public transportation.

10. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

No one wore a mask at the trump rally in Tulsa, but there was plenty of room for social distancing.

11. IndependentCynic

Masks --Tuesday at Dream City Church -- Will Phoenix's must wear directive override Trump's arrogance? Will Debbie Dumbsko (still gushing about her idol Trump like a schoolgirl with a crush) continue her partisan support against the health and safety of her constituents in the misguided name of freedom? Stay tuned.

BPearson and carptrash like this.
  12. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Scary times my friends. There's little doubt the first wave is still with us. There's little doubt the right leaning leadership has all but given up trying to deal with the rising numbers. The buffoon on the stage in Tulsa last night told us the solution was to slow down testing. We are all paying the price of electing a man absolutely incapable of leadership and trying to rely on showmanship. He is an abysmal failure.

Here's an amazing take on last night's performance. It's by Tim Miller from The Resurgent and entitled "Make Arena's Empty Again."

carptrash likes this.
  13. IndependentCynic

No mask hardcore -- Pinal County Sherriff Mark Lamp tested positive last Monday and was confirmed having CV, yet says he still "has no plans to wear a mask in public or enforce any orders to do so." Guess he also has a problem with his dept's mission statement, too -- To preserve the peace, protect life and property, and promote public safety while upholding the constitution.

carptrash likes this.
  14. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Nice article BP, I tried to watch trump, I really tried, but it turns out that like donald I am a weak, tired old man. Who does not need to watch other weak, tired old men. Oh, did I mention that I am running for President? I figure since we seem determined to elect some weak, tired, old white man, it might as well be me. The last years have proven that having the job
    need not cut down on my golf time at all.

BPearson likes this.
  15. SCR

SCR Active Member

I see lots of signs around Sun City for Lesko, Payne, and McSally.

Lesko never did anything for Sun City.
    Payne was instrumental in killing Title 33.
    McSally never did anything for the Sun Cities and is nothing more than an echo of Trumpty Dumpty.

Democracy as we know it is slowly being eroded by the Trump administration.

Ducey will more than likely make an exception for Trump.

Trumps rally yesterday was really a total failure and could be telling for the November election. However, Trump is probably formulating his plans to either delay
    the election or cancel it. Even if he does. He MUST leave office on January 20th according to the Constitution. All you Constitution scholars correct me if I'm wrong.

16. IndependentCynic

CT, just don't become a whiny little bi*ch like you know who
    You may, however want to practice walking the ramp down from the fitness room at Fairway to avoid future incidents like this.

carptrash and BPearson like this.
  17. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Not at all. If I learned anything from the trump presidency it is that there is no need to prepare for the job when you can just wing it. I am, by the way, running on the Apathy Party ticket and will claim that every vote NOT cast is a vote for me.

IndependentCynic likes this.
  18. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Amendment XX Passed by Congress March 2, 1932. Ratified January 23, 1933.
    SECTION 1. The terms of the President and Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of January, and the terms of Senators and Representatives at noon on the 3rd day of January, of the years in which such terms would have ended if this article had not been ratified; and the terms of their successors shall then begin.'

That's what the Constitution says. I have not found what, if anything, it says about a contested election. Certainly (according to this unConstitutional scholar) if there is no election than there is no "successors" and the fun begins. Well, continues. But trump today did not look like someone who wants to go another 4 years. I was going to say he needs a vacation, but since he has had more vacation time and any other president, ever, I can't say that. How about, "he looks like a whipped dog."

19. IndependentCynic

The Pastor and the CFO of Dream City Church released a video in which they said the CleanAir EXP system they installed will make the auditorium "completely safe" because it "kills CV-19 in 10-min." Further, they claimed it was "developed by members of their Church". It's an ionization air cleaning system -- probably works great sanitizing the auditorium between groups, probably not so much when people are close and talking/singing/cheering. So if someone with CV sneezes in your face at the church you're at risk. If I was the Church's lawyer I'd be pretty concerned at the liability window they've opened with those statements should a bunch of kids get CV there.

They did say they were handing everyone a mask -- lets hope the kids wear them.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  20. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

I love it. "The Pastor and the CFO of Dream City Church" CFO is Chief Financial Officer, right? I wonder how much his suit costs? And you are worried about "kids" getting sick. I am worried about old people getting sick.