I voted

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by pegmih, Nov 14, 2013.

1. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Yesterday I voted on line for board members.
    It was not too difficult.
    I knew 2 of them and just picked the 3rd because of his qualifications.

Today I am helping a neighbor vote.

2. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Did you vote for the Sun City Home Owners Association(SCHOA) Board of Directors or for the RCSC Directors? It's important to vote in both elections and you can also do both online.

Bring your questions to the RCSC Candidate Forum on November 19 2:00 at Fairway Rec Center. I'll listen to some more answers before I make my final choices for my vote.

It's also important to know that you don't have to register a vote for all open positions. The lowest vote getters will get the shortest open term.

3. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

I'll have to check to see whether I did SCHOA or RCSC.

Thanks for calling that to my attention.

4. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Do you have to be a member of SCHOA to vote?

5. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Yes, you must be a member to vote. BUT at a very affordable household rate of $20 per year it's well worth it. SCHOA is the organization that oversees the CC&Rs that protect everyone's home values. Primary concerns are maintaining the 55+ Senior Overlay status and condition of property. All residential properties must follow the CC&Rs but payment of an annual membership fee is optional.(Pretty unique arrangement!)

Now would be a great time to become a paying member and vote.

6. Amber

Amber Member

Also, by becoming a member of SCHOA, you can easily access your account online, review and read the CC&R's, as well as access the recommended vendor list sponsored by SCHOA. But one of the best features of becoming a member, you are also supporting your neighbors that may need assistance with the maintenance and upkeep of their properties. Through SCHOA, folks needing help staying compliant with the CC&R's, but may not have the resources, can get help through SCHOA before any issues become a burden for the homeowner. These folks are connected with volunteers to assist with clean up, minor maintenance, and other projects that help people stay in their homes and not run afoul of the rules. Tell me that isn't a great investment for $20!

7. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more gang...supporting organizations is critical to our future. And voting in the elections should be a given for anyone who cares about their community.

8. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

SCHOA is like an umbrella HOA for all of Sun City with CC&Rs that govern all properties. There are well over 200 individual HOAs and COAs within Sun City which have their own set of CC&Rs. Many people believe that by paying their local association dues they are members of SCHOA....Not always the case. Some local associations do join as a group.

9. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

RCSC Election Update

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Now that the candidate forums have been held, RCSC Members continue registering on the RCSC Web Portal in order to vote in this year’s Board of Directors election.

With eight candidates running for three seats and the inaugural use of online voting, RCSC anticipates voter turn-out to be much higher than previous years.

Members who do not have access to or are unwilling to use computers now have two additional options to cast their ballot. Members can come in person on Election Day (Tuesday, December 10) to the Lakeview Center Social Hall #2 where they can have the option of either voting online or with a paper ballot. Lakeview is the only polling place for this year’s election and will be open from 8:00a.m. to 4:00p.m.

In addition, RCSC Members who are not able to vote either online or in person may request an absentee ballot from the Corporate Office by calling 623-561-4600. Members must be prepared to give their name, address and member number. All absentee ballots must be received no later than 4:00p.m. on December 10.

Members with questions regarding the web portal are asked to email webportal@sunaz.com with their concerns.

Lakeview Center is located at 10626 W. Thunderbird Blvd. in Sun City. The Social Halls are located on the upper level.

10. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

......"request an absentee ballot from the Corporate Office by calling 623-561-4600. Members must be prepared to give their name, address and member number. All absentee ballots must be received no later than 4:00p.m. on December 10.

This is the first time I have heard of absentee ballot.

11. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

The RCSC voting update was posted to the www.sunaz.com website yesterday and there is an article stating the same in the Daily News-Sun this morning.

12. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

I also completed all of my voting -- with both SCHOA and RCSC - - On line voting was no problem - -We all need to make certain our community of Sun City has a voice - - especially when it comes to our votes !

13. BPearson

I agree AM. Just hope the turnouts at the candidates forum weren't an indication of the numbers who will be voting. Between the two there were 150-175 people in attendance. While that is far better than what it has been, with 8 candidates I expected more interest.

Residents have drifted from the self-governance process from days of old and that is troubling to me. Ownership in Sun City goes far beyond just owning a home, but also participating in preserving both the value and values of the community.

14. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

I read up on - and studied on all of the candidates before I voted. I did not attend the meetings - though I did have many friends who did. Fortunately I have been here long enough where I knew several of the folks running for the offices. I hope we can keep our wonderful community "self-governing" also - It worked then - as Del Webb wanted - - Now, we residents will just have to make that "tradition" continue ! Dec. 10th is the deadline to vote for the RCSC -I believe.

15. BPearson

We're in the process of doing a magazine/yearbook for the Annual meeting in January and so much of what I am writing is about the importance of our self-governance. Most of the newer age restricted communities are built around a platform of paying for services rather than donating time and expertise to help them run. Nothing wrong with that other than it drives costs and losses some of that sense of community.

Good job AM on checking out the candidates. We've had so few true elections, this one is refreshing to have choices.