How Late Do The Fighter Jets Fly?

Discussion in 'Non Sun City Related Discussions' started by wizfourfam, Jul 17, 2013.

1. wizfourfam

wizfourfam New Member

As I am typing, the Luke AFB fighter jets are flying overhead? Do they make night flights often, and are there any restrictions on their flight hours?

2. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

Night Flights are all the time....I do not believe there are any special time slots that they fly ... I hear them often during the middle of the night, also - - but sounds to me like the sound of Freedom !... I love to sit on my back porch patio and watch the lights of those planes come in and out of Luke... it is a night time treat and entertainment - -peaceful to me ! Those planes usually fly over Bell Rec center in the late afternoon - -what a beautiful sight to see. Arizona is fortunate - Phoenix area is fortunate - to have Luke AFB still in operation and an excellent place for our AF to train !

3. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

The Train on Grand Ave...

The Train on Grand AVE, has been running for years & years...that railroad crosses many miles. The sound of that Train Whistle is almost like a comfort-food to me. Reminds me of the days when I lived closer to it in ole' town Peoria. (1970')
    NOW - In the middle of the night -- when it is so so quiet outside and still - - I can even hear the train running on the tracks ! :welcoming:

4. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

The jets return home over my house about 4 in the afternoon.
    I also hear them at various other times.
    It's too bad that the air show had to be cancelled this year.

5. gilmark

gilmark New Member

I don't know, but I don't really hear them anymore. My ears are trained to block out the noise. I do love seeing them in the sky!

6. Fiona

Fiona New Member

I heard them late last night but the noise does not bug me at all. Just think of the skill it takes to fly one of those planes...amazing to me.

7. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

Here is some History Regarding our Wonderful Luke Air Force Base - - it used to be all alone and by itself in the Desert -then the homes were built and shared this desert area with the Air Force Base.

800px-56th_Operations_Group_-_F-16_Fighting_Falcons.jpg

Luke Air Force Base is named for the first aviator to be awarded the Medal of Honor – 2nd Lt Frank Luke Jr. Luke’s 56th Fighter Wing was first activated on January 15, 1941, as the 56th Pursuit Group. The 56th left for England January 6, 1943. During the following two years, pilots of the 56th destroyed more enemy planes and listed more aces than any other Army Air Force group in the 8th Air Force, including the top two aces in Europe.
    The mission of Luke AFB is to train the world’s greatest F-16 fighter pilots and maintainers, while deploying mission ready warfighters.

Origins
    In 1940, the U.S. Army sent a representative to Arizona to choose a site for an Army Air Corps training field for advanced training in conventional fighter aircraft. The city of Phoenix bought 1,440 acres (5.8 km2) of land which they leased to the government at $1 a year effective 24 March 1941. On 29 March 1941, the Del. E. Webb Construction Co. began excavation for the first building at what was known then as Litchfield Park Air Base. Another base known as Luke Field, in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, released its name so the Arizona base could be called Luke Field. Advanced flight training in the AT-6 began at Luke in June that same year. The first class of 45 students, Class 41 F, arrived 6 June 1941 to begin advanced flight training in the AT-6, although a few essential buildings had been completed. Flying out of Sky Harbor Airport until the Luke runways were ready, pilots received 10 weeks of instruction and the first class graduated 15 August 1941. Then-Captain Barry Goldwater served as director of ground training the following year.
    To read more—click on:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Air_Force_Base

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013