Foundations and Organizations of Sun City AZ

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by Cynthia, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

Is there a list anywhere of all the foundations and organizations in SC (not the clubs) and their function and status? I know about The Posse, the Sunshine Services, SCHOA, the Sun City Foundation but I don't really understand how they are funded. And I'll bet there are more organizations/foundations I don't know about.

What is the purpose of all of these as separate entities. Does SC own any of them? I should stop saying does SC own it, shouldn't I, and say does the RCSC own it. I think there are no actual owners of SC except that property owners own their individual lots. It gets confusing. I need an organizational chart. I will make one if I someone will help me find the information.

And I just thought of something else. Are the clubs considered a 501 c 3 or 501 c 4?

FYI, this is a repost. As suggested, I made it into a new post so it's searchable.

2. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

So here is the legal definition of the clubs from the corporate by-laws: WHEREAS the Corporation has a group tax exemption for its subordinate chartered clubs under section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code. A club must not be organized for profit and must be operated exclusively to promote social welfare to be tax-exempt as a social welfare organization. The earnings of a section 501(c)(4) organization may not inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual. A chartered club must operate primarily to further the common good and general welfare of the people of the community. A club does not operate primarily to promote social welfare if its primary activity is carrying on a business with the general public in a manner similar to organizations operated for profit.

And here is a link to the resources page of the RCSC website. It is pretty complete but doesn't explain everything.

3. SunCityGal

SunCityGal New Member

"The promotion of social welfare does not include direct or indirect participation or intervention in political campaigns on behalf of or in opposition to any candidate for public office." Quote from IRS publication for Social Welfare Organizations. So, having the RCSC board or its members endorsing or being named as a supporter of a particular member or candidate places the RCSC's tax exempt status in jeopardy.

As noted above from BP, "earnings of a section 501(c)(4) may not inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual." With clubs such as a clay club, leather club, wood club, gem and mineral club, who do sell items for profit, keeping the books straight and clean for IRS reporting becomes a genuine concern. Auditors may need to examine, carefully, how the monies of these clubs is being handled and dispersed. If a club is not keeping the information in an orderly fashion or a member notes there are some issues around the monies. an audit will be deemed necessary.

With the motions for this months board meeting, it changes how audits are to be done, by 1, having a hand selected auditor; 2, having to be done with the executive board present, and 3, closing the audit within 30 days. So, lets say an audit is deemed necessary, the club would be notified, and the executive board of the club would need to be present for the audit. Now lets say, the executive board is not available, or refuses to participate in the audit. Are there any repercussions for the club who refuses to participate with the auditor? Not the way the motion is written. And should the executive board refuse to get together, the only choice for the auditor is to close the audit and let the club go on as usual. This is why the first two motions take on a new precedent for the RCSC. It places the 501(c)(4) in jeopardy by certain clubs not performing their due diligence in maintaining their record keeping. The board of directors of the RCSC are tasked with the Fiduciary Responsibility for the corporation and the members of the RCSC. Allowing actions to go forth which places the non-profit status of the RCSC in jeopardy is not meeting the assigned task of the board of directors.

The third issue of removing the ability of a donor to give to the Sun City Foundation, to the benefit of a club or the RCSC, is a loss for the RCSC, as well as the club who can benefit from the donation. At one time there was an earnest push to allow the Sun City Foundation to become a major contributor to the residents of Sun City by expanding its role, Alas, this do not come to fruition, and the foundation remains the same function it is today.

4. CMartinez

CMartinez Well-Known Member

Here I am, I couldn't log in with my usual name for some reason, but here I am, the Sun City Gal in person. I have not been following TOSC very often, as when BP came back on after his self imposed exile, I knew he could do and say things much better than I ever could. I rely on his knowledge of the history of Sun City to be honest, true, and forthright, so no need for my two cents worth. He is also a loud and proud voice of Sun City, one that I respect for its clarity and conciseness. Thank You Bill for being who and what you are.

5. Cynthia

Thanks BP. I will ingest that.

6. CMartinez

My Deepest apologies to all on this thread. My intent was not to deceive, and for that I am truly sorry. I wanted to join the conversation and the only user ID working was the old one from when I was on the board. I am deeply sorry for any hurt or confusion I may have caused. It will not happen again, I promise.

7. Cynthia

Weren't there two CMartinez on the forum once? I remember some controversy about it causing an issue. Or maybe I shouldn't even open that worm can (sound of a reverse can opener)

8. CMartinez

No there has been CMartinez as one log in and the other was Sun City Gal. I used Sun City Gal while I was on the board, as the board members were not supposed to be commenting on the articles at all. I believe the controversy was about a board member being on Newszap and not identifying themselves a board member (me). I wanted to know what people thought and the only outlet to get information and feedback was through Newszap. Things have changed, a little, about the board members able to post ideas, I think, as I have seen some post clarifiers to the beliefs being shared. So as far as I remember, I was the controversy with a nom de plume and not owning up to it until off of the board.

9. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

It's all good Carole, except for the ugly reminder of Newszap...damn girl, i got kicked off that site 8 or 9 times. You know what a pain in the butt it is to create that many new email addresses?

10. CMartinez

Sorry for the Newszap thing. Yep, you and ARS used to go at quite well, and it was always you that ended up with the , well, the messy end of the stick. But we now have TOSC, and it is a great site and place to converse without the ugliness Newszap had.