Covid 19

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by SCR, Mar 25, 2020.

1. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

So after reading your post,
    I decided to look at Sweden's neighbors, Denmark, Norway, and Finland to see how they are doing. They all have a somewhat similar culture going, I think. This is what I found.
    Deaths.............. pop density .............notes
    Sweden 2,355 .............60 sq. mile
    Norway 206 .............36 "a number of safety measures aiming to achieve physical distancing were introduced on 12 March."
    Finland 199 ..............41 "On 16 March, the Government also announced they had decided to take the following measures"
    Denmark 434 ...............351 "Denmark was among the first European countries to introduce lockdown measures, starting 13 March
    This led me to believe that Sweden was not doing all that well. Perhaps you can find other stats, I could well have gotten something turned around, but . . ..........

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  2. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

We just passed (please check) the number of Americans killed in 10 years of the Vietnam War. I am not quite sure what it means but it means something.

3. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

To bring this down to a more local level....Maricopa County has posted 146 more cases today with 5 additional deaths. Our County count is at 3718 positive cases with 140 deaths. Our counts have not gone down or leveled off. It's a thousand more cases in the past week and 56 more deaths. How many of these were those ignoring stay at home and safe practices at the Capitol last week?

4. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Well given that there is often a two week incubation period, those case might not have started showing up yet.

5. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

This is from the Harvard Medical School:
    How long is it between when a person is exposed to the virus and when they start showing symptoms?
    Recently published research found that on average, the time from exposure to symptom onset (known as the incubation period) is about five to six days. However, studies have shown that symptoms could appear as soon as three days after exposure to as long as 13 days later. These findings continue to support the CDC recommendation of self-quarantine and monitoring of symptoms for 14 days post exposure.

carptrash likes this.
  6. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

For more local news, AZ is one of the states where white people are dying at a percentage higher than their percentage of the population. Of course males are dying at a rate higher than females.

7. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

I can only imagine what the numbers would show if there was random testing. Why do people need to be symptomatic, get a doctor's approval and then travel to a remote site to be tested? There are so many that may just chalk the symptoms up to allergies, stomach flu or a summer cold while they are spreading the virus. I'm sure the reason there is no widespread testing is that the numbers won't lie. Our politicians are doing us such a disservice by not doing adequate testing.

8. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Don't worry, on DonaldTrump.com we find, "President Trump is taking concrete actions to rapidly expand testing and guarantee any American can get tested for coronavirus for free." Here is where it is hard not to talk about cows and barn doors

9. SCR

SCR Active Member

aggie - nationwide testing is definitely not feasible for several reasons.
    1. Lack of test kits.
    2. Test are still not 1005 accurate.
    3. Opening up testing to everyone for FREE would cause a stampede to all testing sites in every corner of the nation. People would probably go to a testing site
    at least every 14 days and in some instances every day.
    4. The numbers of infected will make themselves known without mass testing.

As for antibody testing - the same applies. Very few of the test are accurate enough to be proof positive that you have or have not had covid19. Even if you test positive
    for the antibody there is no proof yet that you will not get infected in the future. Then too, if antibody testing becomes FREE and plentiful, everyone will be taking
    multiple tests to confirm existence of antibodies. If it's free the stampedes will commence.

10. SCR

SCR Active Member

Since it appears that many of states are opening up or planning on opening up what is your view on the new normal?

First, I'm not convinced that states should be opening things up as much as they are. Opening started on Monday,
    so we should get to see the effect in approximately 14 days if it starts a new round of infections.

One thing I have noticed already even though AZ has not opened up as of this writing is that fewer a fewer people
    are wearing masks. Good or bad I don't know, but I will continue using a mask till I am more comfortable that
    the virus is under control and infections are diminishing.

I know I'll probably get a lot of flack for the following, but it is just my opinion and feel free to chastise me
    for feeling the way I do.

As for the NEW normal, I suspect that for the first couple of months after opening up we will still be
    wearing masks, social distancing, and following the CDC guidelines as best we can. After a couple of months though,
    barring any resurgence, the nation will go back to its old ways - no masks - no social distancing.
    As Americans we have very short attention spans. We are probably the greediest and most selfish and absorbed nation
    in the world. Money is the most important thing in our lives. Don't think so? How many of you have checked your checking
    accounts to see if your $1200 has been deposited? How many of the retirement community asked themselves "Since I'm
    retired and on Social Security will I be getting $1200.00?". Money is the one thing that Americans care the most about.
    I will say from what I've seen, this retirement community appears to have weathered this crises better than most.
    Perhaps they were better prepared financially as financial consultants (not experts - as there are none) recommended
    many years ago to have at least 3 to 6 months salary (or retirement income) saved for emergencies. I heeded that advice
    and have saved enough money to survive for more than 6 months. After that it's part time work. I don't look for things
    I can get for free (the motto for Sun City) and I don't expect help from any government agency. Money does not consume
    me. If I have it I spend it for my enjoyment. If I don't have it, I do without.

As stated above, I know this will provoke a lot of controversy but I have very thick skin and I am entitled to
    my opinion no matter who or who does not like it. I'm long beyond worrying about what people think of me.

So lets hear the comments and your thoughts on the new normal.

11. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

This entire charade by the administration is freaking shameful. The now MIA Capt Tom never did answer any of the questions regarding the failures, and as we watch in horror as they open up states, one can see why. Trump released the three point phase in and states have virtually ignored it. Sunday the death count was only 1100, Monday swelled quite a bit, Tuesday exploded with 2400+ and already today we are at 1200 plus. Yesterday we were treated to the orange one telling us we were in great shape and not Kushner is proclaiming total success in their response. He might be dumber than trump.

Then you can add in the sainted one, Mike Pense and his failure to put on a mask at the Rochester Mayo Clinic yesterday. Hospital rules be damned. They all should be bounced come November, including the Senate that have shirked their duty. There's never been a bigger bunch of ass-clowns in the White House than we currently have. Tragic would be too kind a word to use on their pathetic efforts. One can only speculate who much better off we would have been had the president bothered to read the IC briefings or listened to the experts in January.

Hopefully Ducey does the right thing and stays the course rather than caving to the will of the maga-morons.

IndependentCynic likes this.
  12. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

I've got no problem with your comments. As for the new normal, I can't even speculate what it might look like. All we can do is try to be proactive in our own little worlds.

13. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

I agree that the VP was so out of line in not wearing the requested mask when visiting the Mayo Clinic. But, have we ever seen Trump, his family or the VP wearing one? To wear a mask would appear to be weak and acknowledge there is a problem. Very telling.

Edited to add: The Trumpster would do anything to prevent disturbing his carefully arranged hair.

14. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

upload_2020-4-29_11-59-46.png

15. IndependentCynic

IndependentCynic Active Member

Even if they open, I intend to continue to social distance, use hand sanitizer, and wear a mask until there's either a vaccine or a treatment that works well. That's the best I can do to protect myself. Those who decide to ignore caution deserve the consequences they get, but it's had to reconcile the losses of the innocents they infect by their selfish behavior. Our history is repleat with those who died taking chances in the early years of HIV, those that didn't quit smoking, etc. My friend says the gene pool is better off without them! Sadly, I'm starting to agree.

16. IndependentCynic

IndependentCynic Active Member

Here's an idea (from news on bbc.com)....

The Swedish city of Lund is to spread chicken manure in its central park in an effort to deter crowds gathering for a festival. Tens of thousands of people usually descend on this southern city to celebrate Walpurgis Night, which is marked across Scandinavia. But officials want to keep people away because of the coronavirus outbreak. "Lund could very well become an epicentre for the spread of the coronavirus on the last night in April," the chairman of the local council's environment committee, Gustav Lundblad, told the Sydsvenskan newspaper. Defending the decision to spread a ton of chicken manure in the park, he said: "We get the opportunity to fertilise the lawns, and at the same time it will stink and so it may not be so nice to sit and drink beer."

17. Well Tom, you have just met your match.

The thing I have learned from conservatives is that they know nothing about what they are talking about and you have fit the mold. If they know nothing, they make it up like the UV light, disinfectant and quotes.

So let’s begin with UV light, I have found nothing on this and as true conservatives you say something and cannot prove nor quote source(s). As for the disinfectant, the Mango Moron specifically stated the word injection which is hard to argue that it does not mean what it means. As for the quote, I have bad news and bad news. First the bad news, the true quote is “It is better to die on your feet than to die on your knees.” The bad news is person who said it was Emiliano Zapata. That’s right bozo boy, it was said by a Mexican. I bet that flips your MAGA hat or those ridiculous tRump 2020 flags. Guess you found this in Fox News book of quotes from famous Americans who never said it.

Since you apparently either sleep through or flunked geography in grammar and/or high school, China has had less deaths than the U.S. and with about five times the population. As we used to say when I was in college, roll that up in your ZigZag and toke on it.

Do not inject or drink the bleach, do not stuff a UV light up/down your orfice, do not drink the Repuglican kool aid and never challenge a history major who reads a lot.

As for the challenge as to who I really am, you throw the term research around, it should be easy to find out my name. If you are successful, you win a Trump’s Lying, People Dying yard side for your front yard.

Facts are not biased.

18. SCR

SCR Active Member

Tom's UV mid-information was debunked by none there than Cedars-Sinai. See post 138. The UV light skin still Nader study and has never been used on patients.

Tom has not learned how to fact check anything he says.

19. SCR, Tom is an idiot and possibly a bot.

20. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Tom is (opinion) a right wing "patriot" caught up in his own propaganda and rituals, and to admit that he might be wrong about anything at this stage would risk bringing the whole card castle tumbling down. I am using my interactions with him to write-up a template of what it is like trying to have discussions with the Right. If I get it into shape I might post it here since many of you have witnessed the whole thing.