Condo Assessment Question

Discussion in 'Non Sun City Related Discussions' started by Emily Litella, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Emily Litella

Emily Litella Well-Known Member

So there's a roof assessment. Not bad, the work is necessary on two of six buildings, not ours. It's fair and the bids were also obtained professionally as required.

A couple of people have approached me and said they are voting NO to the assessment. Huh?

An assessment is sanctioned when required by the association CC&Rs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but an assessment is NOT optional. It is what it is and you pay it.

If anyone chooses not to pay the association can put a lien on said unit for non payment, right?

This is the first time I have been in a COA.

2. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

The first thing you need to do is go to your documents and see what they say. You got them at point of purchase and any change voted on and approved by the owners at their yearly meeting should have been sent to you along the way. Apparently roofs aren't covered (some associations do cover them) so the only way to know what your COA has the right to do should say in the docs.

I have a friend who lives in a twin and they got into a tiff over roofs and an assessment. Several of them refused to pay and hired an attorney. It got ugly with the association having to pay those suing, but then losing their right to have their roof covered. More to the story, but it was all very un-Sun City like.

The good news is your COA is covered by Title 33 and virtually everything in the Planned Communities Act is pretty clearly spelled out and protected by law.

3. Emily Litella

Thanks Bill. Yes our documents do address assessments. We need to tweak with regard to SCHOA and age, but that's another story.

Roof repair and replacement are included in monthly fee, but annual inspection turned up a repair above and beyond reserves.

We have a couple newer and younger PIPs on the board who are thorough.

Unfortunately, there are a few COPs. I'm sure you know what I mean. And the assessment is reasonable.

4. Emily Litella

Sorry Bill, was in a rush. Didn't mean to imply at all that you were a cop. Lmao.

5. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

For those who don't know E's acronym is from an old blog post i did...COP's...Crabby Old People. The bigger questions are: Did the the COA vote the assessment? Was their a quorum?

6. Emily Litella

The presentation and ballots go out this Wednesday and the annual meeting is in January when the votes would be tallied.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but if the majority vote no, the roofs in question (not my building), don't get fixed? Why would anyone vote no, that would be like shooting yourself in the foot. No. ? I don't understand. Why would anyone vote no and have the association property fall into disrepair?

7. Ida Eisert

Ida Eisert Guest

8. Emily Litella

Thanks, Ida. Yes, we do belong to the COA as an association. I went down there and picked up some info from the new Youngtown location. Our annual meeting will be there in January. They were extremely helpful.

9. Emily Litella

Just FYI to the condo folk.

YOUR ASSESSMENT MAY BE COVERED BY YOUR CONDO POLICY.

We have a rider on our condo insurance policy that covers up to $1500 for condo association assessments. This coverage is not subject to the policy deductible. Never thought we'd need it, but saw the logic behind adding the endorsement several years ago. We also have Replacement Cost Coverage.