Computers and Lightening

Discussion in 'Computer Questions' started by pegmih, Aug 27, 2013.

  1. pegmih

    pegmih Active Member

    Last night, July 26, 2013, when it started to lightening in Sun City, I unplugged my computer - 2 plugs into wall.

    Whoops. I forgot to shutdown first.

    This morning I replugged and computer started with just a few blips. But here I am 10 minutes later!

    I was not aware of lightening earlier this month and slept right thru it. Computer plugged in. No problem.

    What does everyone do. Unplug or not?
     
  2. archer

    archer New Member

    I use a laptop, if it is thundering I will pull the cord and run on battery power. A desktop should always be plugged into a good surge protector. And yeah, it is always best to shut down a desktop before you pull the plug on it.
     
  3. BruceW

    BruceW Member

    Shutting down and unplugging is always a good precaution.
    Some may suggest a good surge protector and that might help, but most times it won't protect from a direct hit.
    Also simply turning off the power strip your computer is plugged into won't do it either, it is always a good idea to unplug.
    A few years back our garage door opener died when lightning got a little too close for comfort. It wasn't even a direct hit, but the opener control board couldn't take the extreme static electricity.
    I have a HAM radio and I leave it unplugged unless I am using it, but having a lightning rod (aka: antenna) on the roof is always exciting when a nice lightning storm comes through.
     
  4. pegmih

    pegmih Active Member

    I kind of think that last night lightening was cloud lightening.
    It really did seem to go sideways.
    Did it rain? My neighbor said no.
     
  5. Emily Litella

    Emily Litella Well-Known Member

    We are not in Sun City yet, but lost our DirecTV box several weeks ago, due to lightning while we were at work during the day. And it was on a surge protector. We lost a refrigerator compressor that was not on a surge protector many years ago, so now everything I own is on a surge protector. I was very surprised to learn that a surge protector was not always effective. We took it as a sign from above to dump DirecTV and return to cable. :)
     

Share This Page