Board Candidates...

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Oct 2, 2021.

1. OneDayAtATime

OneDayAtATime Well-Known Member

I can only state that after watching the candidate forums from 2020, there was no time limit mentioned. In fact, Director Hoffer mentions that you don't have to give your name or your member number either. Whether those "rules" get changed this year is the question!

2. SCR

SCR Active Member

So that would mean that the forum could go on for hours - correct?

3. OneDayAtATime

I guess it depends on how many members show up and how many ask questions. If you look at 2020, they didn't last that long and they didn't have that many questions. It was also during Covid.

I hope that many, many more members will be interested in attending this year. The RCSC Board has done some pretty outrageous things in the past year(s), and members are taking notice. That's a good thing.

4. SCR

SCR Active Member

Anyone know who the moderator is of the upcoming forum?

5. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

There are time limits and especially this year with 7 candidates. Even with a 2 minute limit for a question asked to each candidate this will be time consuming. The candidates also get a set amount of time at the start and end of the forum to make comments. It seems to me that the target is a 2 hour max for the entire program. Live streaming with possible questions will further be complicating factors.

6. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Rumors are swirling how they handle questions. Are they afraid of the membership or what?

7. OneDayAtATime

When they made the announcement, they made no mention of live streaming so I guess something went wrong, and they will not be able to accomplish that this year. Doesn't surprise me because RCSC is extremely backwards when it comes to Technology. It needs a whole bunch of improvement before Sun City keeps its attraction to future generations who expect the best in IT and Technology.

eyesopen likes this.
  8. OneDayAtATime

Director Hoffer is in charge of the Election Committee so I'm guessing he will be the moderator again this year.

9. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

With 4 of the candidates totally unknown to me I'm looking forward to this forum. The questions asked must be formed so as not to ask for answers where the candidates couldn't have the necessary facts/experience/information to answer. If there are enough members present to ask questions I sincerely hope that the Election Committee Chair will refrain from asking his time consuming questions "Just to get things rolling.....". The Committee prepares questions in advance that should only be used if there is a lack of participation by the audience. JMHO

10. SCR

SCR Active Member

If candidates do not have an opinion on issues like golf being self sustaining, what is the most pressing issue in Sun City, who does the board answer to (the members or the GM), does the board direst the GM or does the GM direct the BOD, who should recommend bylaw changes - the BOD or the GM, what should the member quorum be, then they should not be running for the board.

aggie and Poison_Ivy like this.
  11. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Can't argue with your statement. The answers to questions or more importantly non-answers will be very telling as to how much knowledge they have about the RCSC & Sun City. Hopefully people will vote on knowledge & commitment to all members of the RCSC.

12. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

With 7 candidates, there should be an interest in pursuing a motion to the idea any candidate who doesn't get elected, be the "next up" in the case of illness, death or another board firing. That would in fact take a by-laws change. Unfortunately, in years past they tend to not allow anything that borders on issues the board may take up. This year i expect it to be even more controlled.

13. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

I think the way it works now depends on WHEN a Director resigns or is removed. An important factor is that a candidate must get at least 100 votes to be elected or appointed to fill a vacated spot on the Board.

Since we Members now are supposed to have all the information that the Directors have because of their new open meeting rules, there really shouldn't be any general questions about issues the BOD may take up that the candidates can't comment about. Only issues that may concern personnel matters or things that happened in Executive Sessions should be excluded.

14. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

UPDATE CANDIDATE FORUMS
    RCSC email Monday, October 11, 2021
    RCSC Candidate Forums Coming to Sundial in November

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Interested RCSC Cardholders are invited to attend one of two Candidate Forums featuring those running in this year’s election for the four opens seats on the RCSC Board of Directors beginning in 2022.

Candidate Forums will be held on Monday, November 1 from 2 to 4pm and on Wednesday, November 3 from 6 to 8pm. There will be a Meet & Greet with the candidates for one-half hour prior to each session and light refreshments will be served. Both forums will take place in the Sundial Auditorium.

Elections Committee Chair Rich Hoffer will act as moderator for these sessions. There will be a number of questions asked of the candidates in an alternating fashion, followed by questions from RCSC Members in the audience as done in previous years.

New this year, RCSC is pleased to offer live streaming of the Candidate Forums on the RCSC YouTube channel. This will allow participants who are unable or uncomfortable attending in person to watch the forums in real time. Questions can be submitted via the live stream which will be screened and sent to the moderator, who will then ask candidates the questions. Live stream participants are required to be signed into their YouTube account in order to ask questions remotely. The RCSC YouTube channel can be accessed via the RCSC website at www.suncityaz.org.

The Sundial Auditorium is located at 14801 N. 103rd Ave. in Sun City.

https://mailchi.mp/6d8766a7a5db/upcoming-candidate-forums-at-sundial?e=f18f779945

15. SCR

SCR Active Member

2 hours is not enough time to ask the number of questions that must be asked.

eyesopen likes this.
  16. eyesopen

This is concerning!! “They”go first with their
    number of questions” with total control of how much time remains of the two hour question period left for members to ask questions!

17. SCR

SCR Active Member

Pose a question such as “members need more time to question candidates. Please forgo the moderators questions and take only questions from the members. NO TIME LIMIT. Question period is over when members cease to have questions”

eyesopen and OneDayAtATime like this.
  18. eyesopen

I have emailed Mr. Hoffer my concerns with suggestions. rhoffer@suncityaz.org

Anyone else I should contact?

Thanks!

19. OneDayAtATime

I also just emailed Director Hoffer with a CC to the rest of the Board regarding the forums (amount of time and the sequence of questioning).

20. Say What

Say What Active Member

Earth to all Sun City "MEMBERS', Hoffer is the clown pulling the strings and I can assure you that in past years if things didn't go his way he interrupts and pushes to move on. Its obvious that he can care less about Sun City and only cares about himself and his ego and power. The man has his thumb print on everything bad that we as homeowners are going to be forced to pay for. Everything has been swept under the rug. Also they discontinued recording golf meetings and various other meetings in June because they claim things are back to normal and members can attend in person. This should be reinstated so anyone and everyone has the opportunity to view the meetings for golf, bowling, planning etc. First of all things are not back to normal by any means and homeowners and all members have a right to see what is going on not just the few that the RCSC wants to control. Eyes wide open folks don't let them treat us like we are second rate citizens.

Poison_Ivy likes this.