Board and Committee Meetings March 11 - 14, 2024

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by eyesopen, Mar 10, 2024.

1. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

All RCSC Members & Cardholders are welcome to attend RCSC Board Meetings.

Annual Membership Meeting:
    MEMBERS ONLY.

RCSC Board & Committee Meetings, includes agendas:
    https://suncityaz.org/rcsc/board-and-committee-meetings/
    Sun City AZ Week email blast:
    https://mailchi.mp/5d0b4fccb51c/your-sun-city-az-week-913-to-7514838?e=f18f779945

Last edited: Mar 10, 2024
  2. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

I looked at this schedule for the week and gave my head a shake. Yikes. One of the reasons the board and management moved away from member participation circa 2009 was it increased their workload multiple times over. With members involved and asking questions, answers were plentiful as were suggestions and ideas. Centralizing power, control and decision making accelerated the process, and pushed the membership away.

The problem of course is the checks and balances baked into our documents were problematic. The easiest solution was to strip them of those protections/safeguards and create a faster more fluid structure; one where accountability was less valued. The board's job was oversight, but with each passing day, they became more lethargic and let management tell them everything was just fine. I watched in abject horror and after three years of being on the inside i came to understand being in the minority was a losing proposition.

We turned the corner a year ago or so, with new board members committed to listening to the membership. It does slow everything down and that's not a bad thing. Far better to get it right (albeit slower) than racing forward without a clue as to the outcome. Along with bringing the membership back, we also have witnessed accountability being re-introduced to the fold. The changes have been monumental.

The most glaring challenge is the membership failing to understand (from a historical position), how difficult this is. I can list a dozen hot-button topics over the years that when placed before the members, the opinions were split almost down the middle. Whether it's 50/50, 60/40 or even 70/30, we often see and hear voices drowning out others. We morphed into a structure where emotional positions became one of our guiding lights.

Anyone who has ever served on a no-profit board should understand the term fiduciary responsibility. It should be part of the training every new board member gets. Effectively, they have an obligation to make sound decisions based on solid information. It doesn't mean they always make the right choices, it means what they decide had to be based on information and data that was thoroughly researched and supported their action at the time.

By including the membership's opinion, they get another source to help them weigh their choice. The downside is whatever is decided often has a good portion of the membership disappointed. They see it as not listening to "them." It's why i have always argued for open and honest dialogue so when the choice was made, members understood why. That whole transparency thing works better than secrecy.

By the way, no one i know is blaming the membership for where we are. That is sheer and utter nonsense.

3. Happy Hippie

Happy Hippie Active Member

Exactly who are you referring to with this statement Bill? Who is "Us" and "We"

"Good read Jean and sadly, we are where we are because of what we have done. The decisions made since 2009 were part and parcel of rebuilding and rebranding a community where fun was the essence of our being. To hell with ownership, accountability and responsibility, just have fun. Ignore what is going on around you and let the board and the general manager make every decision. How did that work out for us?