Another question for the board...

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Jul 4, 2018.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Seeing as we are doing so good on the first question (said with a smirk), let's try something a little easier eh?

As most of you know, candidates have now been allowed to pick up their packets which includes the sheets to gather the 100 signatures by residents to qualify to run. I signed a couple of sheets the other day at the monthly board meeting. I always sign them whether i intend to vote for them or not. I like the idea we have as many candidates running as possible and often don't make my mind up until the forums when i can hear their answers to the questions asked.

So with that out of the way, can a board member or staffer tell me where it is acceptable for candidates to have those petitions signed? Seems there was a bit of a controversy about getting signatures at the Ring The Bell ceremony today. Why would the board meeting be okay and the event at Bell not be.

And just to make it a bit more challenging, where in the corporate documents is that spelled out?

Thanks in advance, i'm sure someone will jump in here and help us out.

Emily Litella likes this.
  2. BPearson

Answers are always slow in coming on this site eh? Let me muddy the waters a bit by adding yesterday when i walked up to the Bell Social Halls one of the candidates for the board (a previous board member) was soliciting signatures. He had a table directly in front of where you had to pass to get to the event. Nope, i thought that was perfectly fine, not offended or anything i felt was out of the ordinary. That's why i was stunned when later in the day i heard of the angst raised over at the bowling alley as other candidates were told pointblank to leave; even after board members told them it was perfectly fine to be there.

Some one please clear the air here. It's all a bit confusing because the board packets state they have the right to gather signatures at RCSC functions.

3. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

It seems we need a bit more information Bill. The packet does state that RCSC BOD candidates can gather signatures on RCSC properties but it is suggested they inform management or facility supervisors of their presence. Could the problem have been more than just gathering signatures for RCSC BOD? There was a lot going on at Bell Center Bowling Lanes for the 4th festivities and could that have been a complicating factor? Was it a matter of personalities? Was there an issue of gathering signatures for political concerns?

4. BPearson

I wasn't there for the exchange, but i did hear it got quite heated. Do you have the actual language from the candidate packet in hand? If so, could you post it? What i was told was the staff was saying one thing and some board members were saying the opposite.

I tend to get a little pissy about this kind of stuff. Seems to me you were in the room the night i was doing the candidate forum at Marinette when several of the board members appeared to have had a cocktail or two before they came. In an effort to rattle me, their questions were openly hostile. Funny thing was, i've done those kinds of open mic things more times than i could count and it was fun to watch as they get frustrated nothing they said got me flustered. The good news was, this was before they video'd them so it wasn't captured for the world to see.

You've been following this as long as i have and you know what an uphill battle newcomers have against former board members who are running again. It is what it is, but at least give everyone a level playing field. Allowing one former board member a table out front and chasing newcomers away seems a bit off eh?

Emily Litella likes this.
  5. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Yes I do have the actual language from the candidate packet(& not because I picked one up to run!).

" You are allowed to approach RCSC Members at RCSC facilities to sign the petition. It is helpful to let staff know you are collecting signatures for a candidate packet."

6. BPearson

Thanks aggie; after reading, it appears they had the right to be there collecting signatures. Seems if they want to prevent confusion, the best bet would be to write clear and unambiguous language; just say where and when you can and cannot collect signatures. God forbid we should let community members meet potential board candidates and raise interest levels in the process of self-governance. Silly me.

7. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Hey....you made it to another decade. Have an un-grumpy birthday! Best wishes....:D