Affordable smart phone with no contract

Discussion in 'Computer Questions' started by Emily Litella, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Emily Litella

Emily Litella Well-Known Member

Okay, so about a month ago, DH and I had the need to get rid of our old flip-top phones (which I still miss just a little bit.)

I didn't want to have any contracts or obligations, and I didn't want to pay $650 for an I-phone. I looked into a few prepaid options and this is the one I chose in the end. Since we have never owned a smartphone before, this one suited our needs as a first smartphone.

http://www.shopstraighttalk.com/bpd...ction=view&productVariantExtensionId=22509064

You can buy it from Straight Talk or directly at the Wal-Mart store. We purchased ours at the Wal-Mart along with the $45, 30-day card. For $45 you get unlimited talk, text (I text a lot), and web. There is also a $9 insurance option from Wal-Mart.

For the two phones we paid:
    $99 per phone
    $45 card for 30 day unlimited pre-paid plan
    $9 insurance per phone through Wal-Mart where we purchased
    (2) phone cases (can't remember exact cost, think under 10 each).

It was extremely easy to port our existing numbers to the new phones by calling the customer service line. I think in less than 2 hours the phones were activated and good to go.

So far, we are both very happy. And I don't have to lug a laptop through airport security on our next trip. I hope this is of help to someone.

2. Emily Litella

I also might add that they have a six month and one year prepaid option. We chose the six month option.

3. Emily Litella

For 2 different numbers (DH and I each have our own number) it is $90 per month - $45 per month for each phone. It includes unlimited talk, text and internet. I use the text and wi-fi a lot. Make sure you check the zip codes before you buy the phones to be sure they will work where you live. Good luck.

4. Emily Litella

I have to say, I have had these phones for just under a year and renewed again for 6 months. I have been very happy with the service and for what I use it for it is great. I would have renewed for a year, but I have heard that StraightTalk may come out with another prepaid iPhone and we may upgrade if the price is right.

5. Emily Litella

Another update. I renewed (prepaid) these phones again for another six months because I have been happy with them and the service. Once in awhile the browser on the phone will freeze, but if you go into the browser app and clear it, it's fine. I was hoping they would lower the price on some of the newer smartphones, but they haven't yet.

6. Emily Litella

Update: This Samsung Galaxy Centura was a great phone for two years for both DH and I. We always had great service. I tend to read a lot of articles online with my phone. Recently it would freeze up. It got to be really annoying so we ended up getting two new LG Ultimate 2 LGL41C phones.

The phones were discounted online from Wal-Mart from $120 to $80 a phone. We were thinking of going with the Samsung Galaxy Ace (the S3s are still too expensive), but the LGL41C was the better choice. I will let you know after awhile how we like it. So far so good. We also have the Straighttalk plans with both phones.