A New Worlds Record...

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Dec 11, 2019.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

I could only smile as i watched the latest Board of Directors first meeting of December. I didn't see them pan the crowd so i'm not sure how many were there, but i would venture to say the staff and board were the majority.

Before i go there, let's take a look back. Art Williams was the only director to ever have been recalled. He was still kicking around as a volunteer when i first moved to Sun City in 2003. In spite of the residents having removed him from office, he still loved everything Sun City.

When he died, i said a few things at his memorial. We didn't always agree, but his commitment to preserve the Sun City way of life was admirable. He was old school and often lamented that back in his day, taking a position on the board was akin to a full time job. He felt strongly board members should be heavily invested in running the community.

He was especially troubled as he watched the role of the board diminish with each passing day. When Carole and i were on the board (2011-2014) there were two member exchanges followed by work sessions each month. The average member exchange was almost always an hour with another 3 to 5 hours at the work session. Then we ended the month with the board meeting at Sun Dial and if it was a contentious meeting could go 1 to 2 hours. Sometimes we would have another work session following that.

Fast forward to 2019. The board celebrated the unveiling of the "open" work session this spring. Effectively they claimed there would be no more closed door work sessions. Everything would be done in front of the community in total transparency. Sounded really good, some were skeptical.

Imagine, conducting all of our business in front of the consuming public. I never quite understood (still don't) why the work session couldn't have been open to the public. The change to two public board sessions came with several bumps in the road. Lots of question regarding Robert's Rules of Order and how much attendees should be able to talk and when?

I was pretty sure they would work through the challenges and get it right. I must be getting dumber as i age. The last several board meetings have been laughable at best. Not trying to be unkind, but really? Yesterday they were done in 13 and half minutes and that includes a lengthy introduction of the board and staff there and the three member comments from the crowd.

I guess it is what is to be expected. The board has virtually relinquished all control to the management team, what the flock is there for them to talk about? Think about this...no work sessions, no member exchanges and board meetings done in less than a half hour. What is the point of even having a board?

Art Williams must simply be spinning in his casket.

Oh, by the way, congrats to the three new board members elected to the three open seats. Too bad there wasn't more candidates than the three, there might have been more interest.

2. CMartinez

CMartinez Well-Known Member

It saddens and infuriates at the same time. Right before our eyes, we have seen the demise of the RCSC as we knew it, to be a mere prop for the GM. She can do it all now, which is what she has always sought to do. Is there a glimmer of hope in that one of the new board members has been on many different boards and perhaps will have the attitude to say something? Will she find these email meetings off the agenda off putting and say something to the other board members? otherwise, all we have left are the retreads, and they have been the ones to help in the complete loss of member benefits within the past immediate history.

So sad to see, having watched it all be lost due to a board who could care less, and would rather have no meetings then to do the work they need to do.

3. BPearson

Thanks for reminding me C; rumor has it the standard method of doing business these days is apparently via email. Perhaps the worst means of communication possible. The funny thing is, had we been covered under Title 33 that would not have been allowed. The idea they are conducting business in front of the maddening (and tiny) crowd is laughable.

4. BPearson

Called Vegas and got the morning line on this Thursday's board meeting. The over/under is 33 minutes on the duration. My money is on the under. It could go longer because we get the speeches from the two outgoing board members and the tearful goodbye's from the management as they depart. They also swear in the two new board members and the one current that was re-elected. Other than that, the agenda is pretty barren.

BTW, stay tuned as the calendar flips to 2020. Rumor has it one of the current board has an issue in qualifying to stay in place. Should be interesting to see how they handle that hot potato.

5. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

What happens in the case of a tie? Might just have gone to 34 minutes but we must wait for the official time on the video. Maybe 25 in the audience?

Give us more of a hint about the possible non-qualifier issue.

6. BPearson

Damn impressive how good Vegas is when making those odds lines eh? Have to wait for the video though to make sure.

The hint: Does one need be an RCSC member to be on the board?

7. CMartinez

You need to be a member in good standing to be on the board, as I recall the verbiage anyway.

8. BPearson

" You need to be a member in good standing to be on the board, as I recall the verbiage anyway."
    Bingo.

9. CMartinez

So, who is not a member of the RCSC? Who on the board is a renter or not of age?

10. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Well in my sleuthing, it appears that a recently elected member of the Board is listed on the deed with two other parties. Only 2 member cards are issued per property so does this person have a privilege card? Does one of the others hold a privilege card? This is normally all vetted prior to naming approved candidates. Am I close? A privilege card holder cannot hold a seat on the BOD.

Oh...and you can't have another residence within 75 miles.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  11. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Or is someone past due on their assessments? Or are they on the board of one of the clubs? Or are they just of bad standing?

12. BPearson

Another hint: 7 or 8 years ago i was lawn bowling at the Lakeview greens. It was election day at the RCSC and two lawn bowlers, friends, stopped by to rail at me. They had gone in to vote and their card at the top was the wrong color and were told they were ineligible to cast a ballot. They had lived in Sun City for a very long time and had always voted, never missed. They still owned two properties in Sun City (that they were paying fees on) but had recently moved into an unnamed care facility just off Grand and 99th Avenue.

It was frustrating for them and when i inquired, was quickly told: "them's the rules, wrong color card, not eligible." Damn, Karma is a bitch.

13. CMartinez

Could it be someone who was a RCSC member, left the area, then returned as a renter? Making them a privilege card holder versus a member?

14. CMartinez

C'mon Bill, give us another hint, or better yet, just tell us who it is which is not qualified to be a Director. We can all gasp together.

15. BPearson

Nope, but i will say this Carole. Remember how almost gleeful board members were when the one with the gavel could tell a privilege card holder to step away from the mic because they had no right to speak. Or how about the fights we had with the gm over couples owning and paying for multiple properties but the one they were living in was only in one of their names and they were forced to buy a privilege card if the "non-owner" wanted to use the facilities. And who can forget before marriage became legal between gay couples the way they handled one of the "owners" being under 55? I really want to watch and see how they deal with this one, now that it impacts one of their own.

On a brighter note, huge payday; in that i took the under at 33 minutes on the Vegas line, awesome. 31 minutes, 14 seconds. Well done gang, i had complete faith you could make it even with the going away speeches and swearing in of the new board.

16. CMartinez

Are we going as far back as the golf contingent? My goodness, whoever it is, or was, makes the votes cast all negated in where this person cast a vote. Could place all of the really hard scraps we fought at risk if it is someone from the past.

17. BPearson

Nope not in the past, present day.

18. CMartinez

Current sitting board member or new member for the 2020 year?

19. BPearson

Nope C, not going there. I want to see how the board handles this one.

20. CMartinez

So, let me ask, how does a person become a candidate for the board and not present their RCSC card? I know I had to when I ran to be a director, I had to prove I was qualified to run. Was this just an oversight or a judgement call? This situation, per the rules, calls for an appointment to fill the vacancy by a "qualified" RCSC board member. Were the results in such a way that a non qualified member received 100 or more votes and are not entitled to those votes. Cannot merely appoint the non qualified member to board as they are still not valid RCSC members. Has anyone seen or heard of the BOD seeking appointees for the board? Just some wandering thoughts.