4 million GOLF maintenance shed

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by SCR, Sep 9, 2021.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

It's pretty clear, based on the comments, this meeting was a throw-away to try and take the starch out of the Thursday Sept 30 meeting. There wasn't a single purpose possible to schedule this when they have a meeting next week. It certainly wasn't based on need, the rebuild of this structure has been on the long range plan for at least 10 years. I stopped briefly after my shift at the Museum was done and hearing the board say, other that Director Collins, they hadn't seen the plan was crazy.

The easiest way to diffuse anger is to let people stumble through a nothing meeting, vent and burn out their angst. That's all this was. There was a time when i golfed and having looked over the walls, i can tell you everything inside them needed to be redone. I always thought the area it sat on was actually below grade. I said to someone a while back, this is going to be expensive. As it turns out, site prep and the footprint is 1.4 million and the building is 2.5 million. Those figures are more in line with recent builds.

Not sure what people were expecting? Hopefully you didn't let this damper your enthusiasm for making everyone (community and board) more accountable for how we are governed. Aggie was spot on, the push away from telling members anything of substance is exactly we we are where we are.

2. MikeM

MikeM Member

4D49077C-4A49-44AC-B222-4E7F73546788.jpeg Just FYI. A sat shot of the existing maintenance area.

3. SCR

SCR Active Member

4. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Thanks SCR. One of the reasons the price was so high on the new building was site preparation. I used to play golf and looking over the walls while passing was an interesting exercise. From the looks of it, they plowed everything, including the walls around the property down, and started from scratch. Oddly, over the years there was often an argument of trying to salvage old buildings, or at least parts of them. At last week's meeting, they reported they had paid 800K plus to date which appears to have been just the initial effort to prepare the land around it.

One of the things we have said all along is, there is a fiduciary obligation to consider in every project. The board needs to know the cost of rebuilding around an existing structure compared to knocking everything down and starting new. It's just common sense and part of the due diligence required.