URGENT UPDATE ON SUN CITY LIBRARIES

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by OneDayAtATime, Mar 29, 2024.

1. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

That positive PR could be far reaching if ever a documentary or PSA campaign is created supporting libraries nationally, there are many compelling sound bites from our Sun City members.

Janet Curry and Linda McIntyre like this.
  2. Happy Hippie

Happy Hippie Active Member

Yes just veered off a little with this post from libraries to no pride in ownership, right Chris? No harm no foul.

Residents should put this much sweat effort in taking care and maintaining there home and property as they do the endless list of entertainment pursuits. Do you ever walk around and see how dumpy and neglected the community and properties are actually looking? No one is taking pride in taking care of there actual home.
    I do think a library is a public trust and is an essential service to any community..but I also think it for the county to find the solution and modernize the role of a 21st century library and they need to find a new place to do that now around here. You can say this GM and Board are always being put on the hot-seat because of the endless litany of club wants and wishes. I think the GM is trying to take the community in a more modern function. Again, the county also may need to start thinking of doing something larger and more modern for a growing urban area which we are now becoming. Things are just changing.

Last edited: Today at 9:39 AM
    Eileen McCarty, Today at 12:05 A

3. Happy Hippie

I know how you like accuracy. I was in Surprise today at the best Veterinarian Clinic on the planet getting the best news ever. Any way in my travels I did notice gas in Surprise is $4.39 per gallon, and gas in Sun City is $4.39 per gallon too.

4. HH, I was coming back from Sprouts on T-bird and the Quick Trip there had gas for $4.29 so I filled up. Generally it is $4.39 everywhere which kind of makes me think about price fixing and gauging. Businesses like QT, Valero, Fry’s, Safeway, etc. buy gas contracts each month, March for April delivery. Each contract is for 50,000 gallons of gasoline. The price Wilford contracts fluctuate during month but the price at the close of the last trading day is what they purchase contacts for. The closing price in March was $2.6719 per gallon. That’s what Kroger ( Fry’s parent company) pays per gallon on the contract. Now figure in about $1 per gallon for transportation, storage, wages and benefits. Anything above that dollar is pure profit, but that not what they are doing. What is happening is they are taking the previous day closing this month to set their retail price. If you wonder why the gas price changes daily, that is the reason. All this is beyond the POTUS control as because free market capitalism plus the basic law of Economics, the Law of Supply and Demand. This may sound confusing but really isn’t once you know how the game is played.

5. Happy Hippie

More purple prose, but I am very happy that you saved $1.50 based on the average fuel tank size of 15 gallons. No further explanations needed. When I have questions and need accurate answers I talk to my favorite guy who has his MBA from Northwestern Illinois University.

6. HH, do you mean Northwestern University or Northern Illinois University as there is no Northwestern Illinois University. The first is located in Evanston and the second in DeKalb.

7. eyesopen

‼️RCSC LIBRARIES PROGRESS UPDATE
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    April 11, 2024

As shared at the Exchange meeting on April 8 and according to the normal pattern of Board oversight, the RCSC Board met on Wednesday afternoon for a follow-up discussion on topics brought forward by the Membership, which this month centered almost exclusively around the future of Sun City libraries.

The preliminary result of the Board Information Session is that a subset of Board members and Management staff will be meeting with Mr. Jeremy Reeder, Director of Maricopa County Library District (MCLD), in the very near future to discuss concerns particular to our situation. While the totality of our agreement with Maricopa County is open for discussion, we expect the conversation to focus particularly on safety and security concerns.

We are delighted to have this opportunity to address those issues and to discuss with the MCLD the kinds of resources they can offer to help mitigate potential concerns in order to work toward a more long-term lease agreement.
    #
    https://mailchi.mp/319a482e443c/board-meeting-agenda-monday-7514937?e=f18f779945

Janet Curry likes this.
  8. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

How can i be more succinct? Meaningless tripe!

9. Cheri Marchio

Cheri Marchio Active Member

Wow! A whole Lotta nothin' burger. Not surprising, very disappointing.

10. As usual you missed the point. The point being the RBOB closing price last month and the price this month. Now multiply that by the millions of cars who fill up daily and learn why some large retail gas companies are doing quite well. Keep an eye on the price of West Texas Intermediate Crude (WTI) and Brent Crude (North Sea crude).

There is an interesting article on CNBC concerning the skyrocketing cost of auto insurance and its inflationary factors. It’s a great app to keep informed. Ask your MBA friend if he/she follows it.

11. C’mon Bill and I thought you were a big picture guy, obviously I was misinformed. There is also a big difference between the MBA program at Northern Illinois and Northwestern. Guess you were not from those parts. I am.

Sorry you are disappointed Cheri but obviously research and analysis are not two of your stronger points. It’s the story behind the story.

12. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Dave; I was referring to the release from the RCSC regarding the library. It says nothing, it does nothing. Given you response to Cheri, i am curious what you read that showed they listened or cared what the crowd said Monday?

eyesopen and Cheri Marchio like this.
  13. Happy Hippie

Here you go sweetness. Undergrad NIU DeKalb, MBA Kellogg School of Management: Build Your Legacy | Kellogg School of Management (northwestern.edu) I keep aspiring to be as perfect as you but it won't happen, so I will just stumble and bumble my way through the rest of my days.
    https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu

14. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Gee, don't you think somebody should have had the discussion with MCLD before issuing them a notice of termination?

Enigma and Janet Curry like this.
  15. John Fast

John Fast Active Member

Folks, I think we all agree this whole situation has been botched by our leaders and the statement today seems to be more of the same. I encourage each of you to review VP MaAdam's statement in detail and ask yourself the question how did we get here? I think the answer may lie somewhere in that statement and the facial expressions by the presenter. Sorry, I was personally trained by someone that literally wrote the book on "evaluative interviewing". Certain facial expressions are nonvolitional; we can't control them. Did you see the same thing I saw?

Janet Curry likes this.
  16. eyesopen

The few included in creating or supporting THE PLAN to phase out, CLOSE, the Fairway and Bell weren’t concerned about anything but getting rid of the libraries. No need for them to consult with MCLD, they want what THEY WANT. They almost got away with it…

We still do not know why!!

Consequently, speculative rumors fan the flames of disgust at the prospect of losing both Sun City libraries.

Janet Curry likes this.
  17. Happy Hippie

I would love to have that much fresh horse manure to add to my hot compost bin.

18. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Yup! Let's throw the baby out with the bathwater!

Instead of addressing the problem we'll just shut it down.

Enigma, eyesopen and Janet Curry like this.
  19. eyesopen

If the Fairway library location is unsafe with security issues forcing its closure by RCSC, is closing the entire recreation center the next step to protect our members?

Janet Curry likes this.
  20. HH, thanks for clearing that up.

Bill, assumption on my part is the mother of all……….

John, I was trained by experience at legal aid interviewing clients as to whether they were just another jive ass Turkey as we would say or a serious person. I learned that it was in eyes and how they responded to a question whether searching for an answer by looking up and to one side, probably lying or a quick response looking straight at you, probably truthful. Further questioning would reveal whether my assumption was correct. Very useful in my career. That said, BS is BS no matter what the body language says. I have a JD in street law and street justice both of which have served me well.