Shopping Center neglect

Discussion in 'Non Sun City Related Discussions' started by Eileen McCarty, Apr 10, 2024.

1. Hello,
    I have concerns about the detiorating shopping centers in the Sun City area. I am thinking about the property conditions and lack of offerings at the center at 99th ave. and Bell ( where McDonald's ) is.
    The parking lot looks bad. I have reported it in the past to management company.
    Also the marquee sign was hit by a truck or something. The marquee sign is a disgrace and looks bad.
    But more concerning to me is the lack of any nice offerings in these centers for retired folks who have money to spend.
    You have no nice vendors in these centers now, especially when Tuesday Morning store went under.
    Now you have smoke shops, tattoo parlors, marijuana shops.
    What happened to ice cream shops, women and men's dress shops, gift shops, furniture stores, snack shops.
    The decline in our American culture and seeing this is what really makes me unhappy.
    How can we get back the lovely culture we grew up with?
    I encourage everyone to contact these management companies for these centers. If you see something, let them know. The only way we can start to change our world is by letting them know we deserve better.
    Sun City citizens deserve better and nicer offerings in our area!

2. old and tired

old and tired Member

If there was a demand, and they thought they could make a profit, we would have them.

With some of the types you mention they can no longer make it in brick and mortar. With wages, rents, CAM, and insurance going higher fewer types of businesses can make it today. With vacancies there isn't any left for improvements.

Emily Litella likes this.
  3. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

What makes it even worse is center owners appear to have no incentive to lower rents when units sit empty.Best guess is they get substantial tax write offs on empty space.