RCSC Board Announces Process Has Filled Vacanies

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by eyesopen, Mar 18, 2024.

1. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

Process for Filling Board Vacancies Announced
    Wednesday, March 20, 2024
    Tom Foster (Finance & Budget, Long Range Planning) and Christine Nettesheim (Technology) are appointed.
    RCSC Members are advised that the Board of Directors will be interviewing current and former committee members along with previous Board Directors as they begin the process to determine who will be appointed to fill the Board vacancies resulting from the two resignations tendered last week.

Once the interview process is complete, an announcement of those appointed to fill these positions for the remainder of this year will be released.
    #
    Why aren’t interested members, eager to be involved in our community with valuable experience, being invited to be considered?? What do you think?

Original RCSC email:
    https://mailchi.mp/c556f44f9c9a/rcs...ing-video-now-on-youtube-7514866?e=f18f779945

Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
    Janet Curry likes this.
  2. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Here's what I think, but of course it's just one persons opinion!

Those who attend board meetings or watch the videos can clearly see that there is dissention among the Directors. No further proof is necessary then considering how many Directors have resigned within the last couple of years! Life's suppose to get easier as we get older!

Perhaps too many responsibilities and time involved for the amount of pay they receive...$0?

Perhaps when you consider that each Director is also a Chair or Co-Chair of one or more committees as well as acting liaisons between other various organizations?

Perhaps it's being required to be available for 10 months?

Perhaps it's simple complacency?

Like I said in another post; it's a double-edged sword. On the one hand it might be too time consuming and the Directors might have to many responsibilities on their plates, but on the other hand, you have to be careful how much of a free-reign you're willing to give to the General Manager! We have already felt the results of that type of situation in the recent past! That's how we got 20 million dollars behind in maintenance and technology.

3. Linda McIntyre

Linda McIntyre Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed that the process isn't open to the general membership. While there may be newer committee members that meet the residency requirements, it's time to give consideration to opening the process to a larger pool. As stated in another post, it provides the opportunity for someone to offer their expertise in the short term, and they can make up their mind if they are interested in a seeking longer term. We keep saying we have a lot of talent, so why not give the general membership a chance? It's a missed opportunity.

Also, I agree with FYI - the workload is pretty overwhelming for retirees. It should not be like a full-time job. I think it's time to expand the Board, allow a committee member to act as a co-chair, and allow either committee members or staff to be liaisons to other organizations. Some of these ideas were shared by others, and I think it's time we get serious about considering changes.

Burnout is real and not everyone can (or wants to) commit to so much time. Let's spend a little time looking at best practices of successful organizations. Members have good intentions, but then what happens?
    Does anyone debrief a Director when they leave - or a staff member for that matter? There's a pattern developing? Until we figure it out we're likely going to just keep repeating the cycle.

One final thought - and it's been said before and bears repeating. Board members NEED training. First, a solid orientation program is the key to a successful kickoff each year. It serves as the launch for new members and a good refresher for returning members.

I'm not sure of current practice:
    The Board should have a tour of all facilities and also meet key staff at each location; each member would receive a binder complete with all corporate documents, including minutes and financial reports from the previous year (or more by policy), most current audited financial statement, by-laws, policies and procedures, personnel handbook, any recent legal opinions and/or documents about pending litigation, plus forms to sign (confidentiality and financial disclosure (if required) are examples. There are probably more.

Plus, at least two critical discussions must take place: fiduciary responsibility and all that it entails and all things financial. Having a glossary of key words/terms is very helpful - keeping in mind, many new Board members could be entering a whole new world and so much of this could be like a foreign language. A person may have great experience in a particular field (an engineer for example), but no experience with nonprofits, has not owned a business or been in a management position dealing with finance reports - it's complicated, but should not keep someone from participating if we provide the right tools! There are many resources available.

4. Happy Hippie

Happy Hippie Active Member

Golly gee!
    "It's obviously time for a change. What has been done is not working. These board members should not be serving on the committee meetings. Talk about burnout. That's a lot to expect from a "retiree". Each subset of RCSC needs its own board, which has meetings and reports to the RCSC board. Do you think Peter Fine sits in on each Banner hospital board meeting? Create an org chart of what's needed and go from there. Maybe more will volunteer their time if they don't have to give so much of it.

Happy Hippie, Saturday at 11:07 AM"

But let's let history dictate our future.

5. eyesopen

You list valid reasons why someone would not want to apply as an appointed direct replacement.

The question is why the board isn’t inviting members to apply. They are only, “… interviewing current and former committee members along with previous Board Directors.”

Janet Curry and Enigma like this.
  6. eyesopen

A candidate for Board Director election doesn’t have to qualify as a current or former committee or board member, but an appointee to fill an eight month vacated position, April - December 2024, does?

RCSC EMAIL announcing appointment process:
    RCSC Members are advised that the Board of Directors will be interviewing current and former committee members along with previous Board Directors as they begin the process to determine who will be appointed to fill the Board vacancies resulting from the two resignations tendered last week

What RCSC Bylaws state:
    Corporate Bylaws ARTICLE VII – NOMINATION AND APPOINTMENT PROCEDURES
    SECTION 4: CANDIDATE REQUIREMENTS An eligible candidate for election to the Board shall satisfy all the following requirements **and a candidate for appointment to the Board shall satisfy all ** except Section G.(?) below:
    • Must be at least fifty-five (55) years of age;
    • Must be Member in good standing;
    • Must not reside with or be related by marriage or birth to any other Board of Director, Board candidate, or Senior Management;
    • Must reside in Sun City, Arizona and be available at least ten (10) months of the year;
    • Must meet the requirement to hold an Arizona liquor license;
    • Must be eligible and available to serve a three (3) year term; and
    • (G?) Must attend Board Candidate Orientation(s).

Sources:
    • RCSC email, Appointments Process Announced:
    https://mailchi.mp/c556f44f9c9a/rcs...ing-video-now-on-youtube-7514866?e=f18f779945
    • Corporate Bylaws pages 15 & 16
    https://suncityaz.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/2023_12_14-BYLAWS-F.pdf

Janet Curry likes this.
  7. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Perhaps that's a question you should ask the board at the next Exchange?

Linduska and Janet Curry like this.
  8. eyesopen

I will ask why they are not following the bylaws.

old and tired and Janet Curry like this.
  9. Janet Curry

Janet Curry Well-Known Member

That is a question that I often ask.

eyesopen likes this.
  10. Happy Hippie

Maybe this info should be available for the members to see? Help them understand how their community is being run?

11. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

So I just received the email announcing the 2 candidates that were selected.

Tom Foster & Christine Nettesheim

Does anybody know anything more about these new appointees other than the committees they served on?

Linduska, Enigma and Janet Curry like this.
  12. eyesopen

RCSC Board Vacancy Appointments Announced

The RCSC Board of Directors is pleased to announce the appointment of Tom Foster (Finance & Budget, Long Range Planning) and Christine Nettesheim (Technology) to fill director positions vacated upon the recent resignations of John Fast and Jean Totten.

These appointed directors will be sworn in at the monthly RCSC Board of Directors Meeting on Thursday, March 28, 2024 at 9am in the Sundial Auditorium.
    #
    RCSC EMAIL: https://mailchi.mp/cc587af6e06a/rcs...ing-video-now-on-youtube-7514870?e=f18f779945

Janet Curry likes this.
  13. Janet Curry

Janet Curry Well-Known Member

Although I don't know either one of the new appointees to the RCSC Board, I am glad to see that they represent Finance & Budget, Long Range Planning and Technology committees. Those are areas where changes are being made and committees have been quite active. Better than someone from a committee that is just centered on one activity. Just my opinion. I wish them luck for the rest of the year.

14. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Best of all, no retreads.

15. Happy Hippie

16. Happy Hippie

This makes me sick to my stomach. Just because I could I did a search on the term. I was appalled at the number of people using it on here. Sun City is what it is because of Leadership, or I should say lack of. What a sorry bunch. Maybe it's time to bring what is being said to the attention of the residents and owners! Maybe then others would come forward to make it a better place. IMO Mr. Pearson has always been a Neanderthal regarding his use of the English language and how he refers to others. Maybe a small poll of friends to get reactions. My guess would be the extremes, very angry or not caring at all and just keep enjoying retirement.

17. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Spare me your incredulity and crocodile tears!

Bill can speak for himself but I for one never understood that term to be anything more than meaning the person has already previously served.

Let's not make a bigger deal out this than it actually is! Go take a Pepto-Bismol. It'll make you feel better!

More fake outrage from HH!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
  18. Linda McIntyre

Linda McIntyre Well-Known Member

Tom Foster has been a valuable member of Finance plus our small subgroup working on the 5 year plan, as he's also a member of LRP. I think he'll be an asset.

Janet Curry, Mark Yates and eyesopen like this.
  19. The interview process seemed to be slightly rigged. The Board stated on Monday that they were interesting former Board Directors and Committee members. Fine I emailed my resume to the President indicating my interest. Tuesday I received an emailed and verbally stated to me on Wednesday that the positions were filled. That is some serious Cloak and Dagger process. Other than that I know Tom and I agree with Linda he is a good addition. Unfortunately I do not know the other person and would presume she is a good addition. I wish them well and they have no idea what they are getting into with the Board.

If Carp Trash is reading this post I have a book recommendation for him. If the library has or can obtain for you please read The Dark Queens by Shelley Puhak. It is about the last gasp of the French Merovingian empire in the mid to late 600s and these two women redefine the term “strong women.” Political funny business, marriage, assassination, poisoning, imprisonment are their stock in trade. One is descended from Visigoth royalty (Spain before Muslims) and the other was a slave (common then) who basically slept her way to the top. Do not cross either of these women.

20. I’m back. I am tan (not really), rested (somewhat) and ready ( most def). Looking forward to crossing swords with other members. Consequently I shall start Happy Hippie which seems to be an oxymoron, and believing she is a Baby Boomer and a former hippie, I invoke a statement from Woodstock saying that brown acid isn’t particularly good so you have been forewarned. That about sums her attitude.