Less Than 200 Members...

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Mar 14, 2024.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

For those of us living in Sun City, Tuesday evening, March 12 was an eye opener. It was also the first time in a long time for me, i missed a scheduled annual membership meeting. Our Articles of Incorporation obligate the RCSC to hold one membership meeting a year. It isn't a question whether they want to or not, due to our structure we have to by state statute.

A couple of nights ago, less than 200 members showed up at the annual membership meeting. We need 500 members for a quorum to actually hold the formal portion of the meeting (which includes voting on member submitted motions).

I won't bore you with the long version history, suffice to say there's been huge changes in the past 50 years. Safeguards were built into our documents that included quarterly membership meetings with a quorum of 100. In the fall of 2009 the board changed the quorum to 3500 members and then a short time later reduced it to 1250.

That resulted in the RCSC not holding an official annual membership meeting for 12 years. In an effort to try and reach a quorum, we went to a single annual membership meeting; that failed miserably as well. It wasn't until 2021 when the board fired a board member and in December of that year, 1400 members (including proxies) showed up and the RCSC was forced to hold a membership meeting they were ill-prepared for.

It got ugly, footage from the 3 hour meeting was lost and members were told they had no right to vote (even though the Articles of Incorporation told us we did). It went down hill from there. 2022 was a shit-show and by the beginning of 2023, 3 board members (now in the minority) quit.

Our documents were ultimately changed to reflect a lower quorum threshold, 500 members. The new board, while wrestling with huge issues that had been buried, struggled to find solid footing. It wasn't easy or painless, but a more transparent and open process of governance had a foothold and we were evolving. The board was holding more open communication sessions and it was clear they were listening.

For those of you who aren't familiar with annual membership meetings, they have historically been held in late winter (Jan/Feb). That's when the largest number of RCSC members are here. They got thrown off track coming out of the pandemic (2020 was cancelled because of COVID19) and the goal was to pass on the 2021 annual membership. By then the shutdowns were over and the excuse was BS and they were compelled to hold the meeting by the end of 2021.

It was the beginning of the end for an era where members voices were less valued. Like i said, it was a challenging transition, but one that was well worth the effort. The massive increase in member comments and complaints is an ongoing process. Rather than remaining bottled up and waiting to ven tat an annual meeting, we see and hear it every month at the Exchange sessions.

Better yet, we see first hand the responses, and if changes aren't made, why they aren't. We know members are often split on what they want or like. The board and management listen and then weigh the pros, cons and more importantly the costs of any action taken. That is their fiduciary responsibility.

I have long lamented the lack of the RCSC having to hold a membership meeting; i have zero concerns over the 2024 member meeting not reaching the quorum. Holding the board and management accountable is a more open and vibrant process and the exact reason there less than 200 members in the room Tuesday night.

Hope that helps folks understand.

suncityjack and eyesopen like this.
  2. Happy Hippie

Happy Hippie Active Member

Not even sure what this means. Zero concerns that hardly anyone cared enough to show up? 20 or so out of 35,000 residents stayed to chat and that is a successful meeting? I did watch the video, and a few had kudos for the board which was nice. Most got up and left throughout the meeting.

The snowbird who questioned being able to serve on the board was not happy when she left. She was pretty much dismissed due to bylaws not allowing members who are gone for part of the year to serve. They are a big part of the population here. Wonder how the snowbirds would feel if they knew the year round board members were allowed to miss three or more meetings prior to dismissal? Still have no clue what that means.

I heard the phrase lessons learned several times, referring to future meetings. Has no one been looking at past boards and meetings? Is this a surprise? History has been written here many times. Felt sorry for the woman who was not aware of motions. Questions thrown at her were do you get our emails? Do you get The Independent thrown in your driveway every week? Do you have a computer where you can go on our website? It was obvious she needed something, a flyer from rec center, something to help her which was finally acknowledged.

Are the board members not aware they are being video as well as audio recorded? I have noticed from the past 3 videos that side eyes are common as well as hot mic moments.

3. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

I think attendance was so low was because we just had our last membership meeting 104 days ago and also, there wasn't any earth shattering motions?

What I don't understand is the number people who raised their hands indicating that they didn't know anything about the agenda for the meeting!

Everything is posted, published, announced and e-mailed for months prior to the meeting. I think not knowing is on them!

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it! The RCSC sends all that info out but if you don't read it.....

4. old and tired

old and tired Member

I think the Board answered her correctly. There are numerous ways to get information. I don't know what she expected?

suncityjack and eyesopen like this.
  5. Happy Hippie

She appeared to fumble a little regarding technology issues. When given the handout she perked up a bit. No clue how old she is, however I help a lot of folks on my street when they have computer issues. Most are right around 80 give or take. I don't know, I worked for Sun Health for so long, at the hospitals, senior living facilities, etc maybe I just see things a little differently, but I am probably wrong.

6. Happy Hippie

Everything is posted, published, announced and e-mailed for months prior to the meeting. I think not knowing is on them! Sun City should not have to make anyone do anything. They should want to. You all are not getting it. People are fed up. They don't care. Not knowing is what they choose now.

Larry likes this.