It Will Never Be Easy Running A Community...

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Mar 15, 2024.

1. Happy Hippie

Happy Hippie Active Member

Being that issues with SCW were brought up, just for 'shits and giggles' I got on their website. There is a wealth of information available to residents. Minutes were concise, residents can attend open meetings via video conferencing, financials easily available and understandable. Amazing transparency to the residents and kudos to the person who set up the site!

2. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

The least of our difficulties is how long board members can kick around. In spite of the yammering about "deflection" and other pissing and moaning about personal travesties, there are real and legitimate challenges facing age restricted communities. They did in fact begin in the 60's and the blueprint they were built on and around has changed dramatically. The new ones have acknowledged the changes in society and are completely aware of the bigger issue, generational shifts in attitudes.

The new ones are leaner, meaner and smaller in size and scope. While size and amenity packages were the rage, there's an eye on a more practical, less costly supporting structure as they build-out and try to sell out more quickly. With no ownership in golf courses, way smaller lots to build on with more closely spaced homes, the amenities are larger but with fewer of them (on a per capita basis). More green spaces (without golf courses) attract potential buyers and oddly with the downsizing, the pricing has become more upscale.

The good news for us and Sun City West is we are more affordable and we do offer more amenities. The bad news is the generational shift has created a more demanding membership. We've lost sight of the we and become focused on the me. Think not, here's a quick review:
    1). Lawn bowlers with 7 greens and less than 350 members are arguing they can't possibly give up one green. Pure and utter nonsense, and i am one.
    2). Pickleball started out wanting 25 more courts at MV and quickly morphed into an indoor venue. Is it a luxury we can afford?
    3). The MV pool needs to get done, yet some argued we needed to add a "Bell-like fitness area at the same time. Fairway is less than a mile away.
    4). The Performing Arts Theater has long been argued and debated. I've always supported a theater/venue for multiple purposes. Before SAC we saw a 50 million dollar 8 year plan that was nuts and during SAC we reeled it back in (thanks to John Fast). It became manageable, but still left dozens of questions (like where to hold performances). The new "elements" plan is solid and appears to be workable...we'll see.
    5). Rising from nowhere was the demand by dog owners for an air-conditioned venue of 10,000 sq feet to hold dog training and socialization. It's a great idea, other than there is no such building "available," and it's a really, really expensive proposition (dare i say, luxury). I remember fighting for that same dog club to get their green space covered at Fairway after it opened. They got it, but obviously the demands and costs are far greater these days.
    6). Duffeeland dog park has issues, it always has. It's the nature of the beast (pun intended). Pretending it's the RCSC's problem is short-sighted. It truly is a users problem and pretending otherwise is folly. They could put a monitor there 24/7 and it would drive up costs and in the end owners not willing to oversee their dogs would still be the problem. A monitor should not be expected to step between two dogs or handle an angry member with a stun gun.
    7). Golf; where to start? Hell they got angry at an increase for passes that hadn't seen one in years. They fought to allow non-residents to have rights better than members and they are angry that they can't all drive their own golf cars (5 cars for a five-some).

This is just a short-list of agenda items, none are posted to minimize their concerns. Clearly they matter to them and are legitimate issues. The ultimate question becomes what can we afford and what do we really need to stay current and relevant in the age restricted marketplace. All of which takes me back to my opening premise: "It will never be easy running a community." In fact, given the changing times, it will only be more difficult.

Tom Trepanier likes this.
  3. Tom Trepanier

Tom Trepanier Well-Known Member

Nice and concise description of present issues Bill.

BPearson likes this.
  4. Tom Trepanier

Tom Trepanier Well-Known Member

Did I become a scrape goat on this site? Or is the reference to another Tom? Perhaps Tom Thumb? Come on now!

5. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

She's referring to me!

This lady is simply pissed-off at the world, and if this is the way she communicates with her friends, she probably doesn't have any and that's why she keeps on posting here?

She also seems to have a personal grudge against Bill Pearson that she simply won't let go of.

I think the best thing to do is simply ignore her comments and no longer respond. When you respond you only feed her insecurities.

6. BPearson

Thanks Tom, i ignored the "fan fight" in light of the more controversial challenges.

As far as you being a scapegoat, don't worry, it's me she's after. The fact i wrote a commentary years back making light of someone's skivvies flapping in the breeze is still causing her sleepless nights. Sorry, but that's what the CC&R's called for (and still do). So, please be careful of what you say or write or years from now you too will be a scoundrel of boundless proportion.

The point of all of this is for the serious folks in the room to understand the challenges of where we are as a community. Those living here want/expect more and the reality is everything we add or enhance comes with a price tag attached to it. The beauty of it all, is in spite of the wish lists of wants, we are a remarkable value for what we pay and our amenities, in spite of the catching up, are still unrivaled.

That said, we can do better and we are in the process of doing just that.

old and tired likes this.
  7. old and tired

old and tired Member

I remember when they wanted the cover at Fairway. Never heard a word then about them wanting a building at a later date.

Fairway opens at 5am. Maybe the dog club changing their hours for part of the year would help.

8. BPearson

We ultimately did get the cover over the grass area. The problem obviously is the heat in the summer months. That said, it's true for every outdoor activity in Sun City short of our swimming pools. That's the one thing that utilization increases during that time of year. Oddly enough when DEVCO was planning and opening the Sundial rec center and enclosed pool, some members were screaming about an indoor pool. Go figure.

Adjusting hours only makes a small difference, but it is something for sure.

9. Happy Hippie

You are all wrong. The only correct person is Bill. Yes, when I read the brown streaked skivvies comment in the paper directed at women who most likely used wringer washing machines at some point in their life I wondered what kind of a buffoon would even say that? Then I met him. After many years and encounters he is still a buffoon. He still spews hate towards anyone, who God forbid, disagrees with him! Especially politically. The crass comments that so easily slip off his tongue almost made me feel sorry for him. It's difficult not to fight back when a person speaks to you for so many years how Bill speaks to me. A classic NPD. And the few that post here look towards him as some kind of pagan god. When did things start going South here? Think about it? Bill knew all this financial crap about Sun City, or maybe he is not as smart as he thinks? For someone who claims to be as involved as he is, and is shocked at finding out about the troubles here, tells me a lot. I could not care less about the board members in SCW. Whatever they are doing is working, not so much here.

10. BPearson

And the hits just keep on coming. BTW, you are wrong again. It was a gentleman who was flying his skivvies that caused the stink. He is long gone from this earth and the lawsuit that came from his blatant disregard for the rules we all agreed to were resolved in court in less than 30 minutes with the judge ordering him to come into compliance on a half dozen issues, underwear the least of them.

At least we finally got down to the bottom line here; my politics don't align with hers and for that she will eternally remain angry over. BTW, more wrong yet again. I left the board the end of 2014 with much of the problems coming far after. And, for the record i was outspoken even then about my "failures" to change a system that was flawed and moving in the wrong direction.

"Pagan god?" Really? Cool.

11. Happy Hippie

As always you are correct. The master with all the answers. Actually the god I was thinking of was Lamashtu, not cool. It's not one thing Bill, again you misunderstood. It's you, and all your hate. But even tho you belittled the crap out of Tom on here you did tell his wife to tell him Merry Christmas. That makes it all better.

12. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

And I don't understand, Bill, why you even continue too respond?

13. BPearson

No worries Tom, back on my ignore list. BTW, tell her we are friends in spite of our political differences; that's how adults act. On second thought, don't waste your time on her.

Linda McIntyre and FYI like this.
  14. Janet Curry

Janet Curry Well-Known Member

Bill, I agree that we should be measuring outcomes. It's best that they are written. Still waiting for a five year plan so we can start measuring progress.

eyesopen likes this.
  15. Happy Hippie

Tom McClain. You really have the memory span of a worm.

16. Linda McIntyre

Linda McIntyre Well-Known Member

The "plan" is that the combined committees will be making its very detailed recommendation to the Board at its April meeting. From there, it will be in the Board's hands for next steps. The budget process will start earlier this year and this plan is a critical component.

17. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

So... is it correct to assume that the committee will make the recommendation at the April Board meeting, and if the Board accepts the recommendation, it will be voted on only after being placed on the May agenda with the proper 7 day previous notice. If voted on in May, that will be the first reading, first vote. Second reading and vote in June. July and August the Board doesn't meet!

Only after, and assuming, the votes approve the recommendations at the end of June can Kevin begin the process of developing the 5 year budget plan!

Bottom line: The Members shouldn't expect to see a 5 year budget anytime soon? Perhaps September at the earliest at which time two more readings will be necessary unless they waive the second reading. So, the new 5 year budget plan might be finalized for the Members to see as early as September?

Just guessing!

18. Janet Curry

Janet Curry Well-Known Member

I have already expressed my opinion that a long range plan should include items other than just monetary plans. Otherwise it should be called a "Long Range Budget Plan" as Tom has described it. We need a more comprehensive plan that includes our vision and mission statements.

OneDayAtATime and eyesopen like this.
  19. Linda McIntyre

No assumptions about how the process is going to move forward after its presented. The charge to the committee was April. The budget process has moved up, so it will be in the Board's hands.

Janet Curry and eyesopen like this.
  20. Linda McIntyre

You're correct. The committee was charged with creating a 5 year "rolling budget" - but we definitely need a community LRP or a master plan. The 5+ year budget (income and expense for operations, capital and PIF) is necessary for creation of a comprehensive plan. Anyone that's ever been involved knows they are a lot of work. But the reward is worth it - RCSC has paid a price by not having one. I think the immediate priorities are established: deferred maintenance, MV, ADWR; next priority list will be required as soon as possible.