Hodgepodge

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by eyesopen, Apr 20, 2024.

1. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

Welcome to a meandering mixture of random discussions.
    Anything goes!
    Anyone can participate…
    What’s on your mind?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  2. John Fast

John Fast Active Member

What is your point if I may ask.

3. John Fast

John Fast Active Member

My sense is you would prefer to see only specific topics = what are they?

4. Happy Hippie

Happy Hippie Active Member

I'll take "1st Grade Games" for $500 Alex.

5. John Fast

John Fast Active Member

Well, well, this is a classic demonstration of passive aggressive defer and deflect. Good luck with that insomnia.

6. eyesopen

OUCH!! DISAPPOINTING NEWS

ACC Approves EPCOR Rate Increases in Sun City

The Arizona Corporation Commission has voted to approve the Luke/303 Wastewater rate consolidation sought by EPCOR following years of effort by the Sun City Home Owners Association to protect its residents from a steep rate increase.

The ACC voted 3-2 to consolidate vital wastewater resources and share the expenses between vastly different consumers – equalizing, for instance, rates between Sun City, a retirement community, and a growing community surrounding Luke Air Force Base.

We feel the impact is markedly unfair and unjustified. This decision means there will be increases for Sun City residents, as others will receive large decreases.

“While the decision is very disappointing, we are appreciative of the more than 4,500 residents who signed petitions and collected signatures opposing this. Those petitions were delivered to the ACC Board members prior to their decision so they were aware of our adamant opposition to this,” said Lisa Gray, General Manager for SCHOA. “This is a fight that SCHOA has led the way on for several years. We will continue to work to protect Sun City residents, our property values and way of life.” “

Sun City is a retirement community, with many residents living on very fixed incomes,” said SCHOA Board Member, Jerry Walczak, Chairman of Government Affairs. “We have sought for a fair, win-win partial consolidation that would have resulted in an equitable cost distribution. Instead, we feel that Sun City residents are being placed in what can be a difficult situation given water is such a vital resource.”

More From SCHOA Eblast Monday, 4.22.24:
    https://www.icontact-archive.com/ar...f7c91ccdfc975f1248db2d3c171ef4e642767657d7e63

Janet Curry likes this.
  7. Tom Trepanier

Tom Trepanier Well-Known Member

So much for self governance?

8. Sambo

Sambo Member

RCSC is self-governed and always has been. Board members reside here and are elected by member popular vote. On the other hand Sun City as a whole is definitely not self-governed.

9. Tom Trepanier

Tom Trepanier Well-Known Member

Difficult to escape the Government!

Janet Curry likes this.
  10. eyesopen

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
    Janet Curry likes this.
  11. MikeM

MikeM Member

I see they want to make the Grand Center more of a fortress to the tune of $100k.

109 - GRAND
    P1764 Grand - Gate off street entrances Fencing $100,000

Emily Litella and Janet Curry like this.
  12. Happy Hippie

after stabbings I would be concerned.

13. I have been writing to Chief Penzone for several years. What we need now in SC is an actual VERY present sheriff office. I have mentioned several locals, empty office buildings and so forth in the area where MCSO could literally set up another very seen and active office. This may help slow down vagrant crime and so forth.
    Has anyone else ever mentioned that at the community safety meetings? I think it is time for this now.

Janet Curry likes this.
  14. eyesopen

Mike,

Unfortunately, crime and groups of homeless in the area of Grand & 103rd is becoming as troubled as the Fry’s & Oakmont, 107th & Grand, area of Sun City.

You may recall:
    Double stabbing in Sun City Sky12 flew over the scene on Thursday evening. One person was taken to the hospital with some injuries. Watch story:
    https://www.12news.com/video/news/local/valley/75-36c07a2e-62b9-4cf6-93b8-49d757987988
    Author: 12news.com Published: 4:03 PM PDT April 11, 2024 (10659 Grand Ave Sun City Area near Appliances 4 Less)

RCSC is taking safety & security of members and protecting property assets. They’ve significantly enhanced security at Oakmont Center.

Gating Grand Center will hopefully prevent homeless congregation and problems with overnight residency.

Janet Curry likes this.
  15. eyesopen

Eileen,

A substation would be great to help Sun City. Our problems are not unique, they are a nationwide plague. As with everything, funding and legalities are roadblocks.

Youngtown was plagued with problems before Sun City started to experience these troubling issues. Over the past few years, as a town, they have successfully invested in their community safety implementing several prevention strategies. Most recently a nighttime alley curfew!

RCSC has no authority over the community of unincorporated Sun City, only its RCSC facilities and amenities properties.

SCHOA and Sun City Posse partner with MCSO to develop programs to address issues as best they are able. They had Night Hawks patrols along Grand area, not sure if it’s still active.

16. Happy Hippie

Unfortunately, this has been an issue for over 22 years. My first job with Sun Health was at 10448 W Coggins. Started in 2001. We had homeless sleeping in the stairwell on a regular basis. Boswell security would usually be there every morning when we arrived. Things got worse and time went on and now in 2024 the problem is getting pretty serious. Why would RCSC purchase a property on Grand with the issues in that area? Did they think it would be a better use of funds rather than repairing current facilities?

17. Emily Litella

Emily Litella Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly they purchased it in 2015? because they needed club space and also for the VVSC club.

Crime and homeless are in every community across the nation now. There's nowhere to run nowhere to hide.
    Smart thing is to get home security, adopt a big dog (but friendly) from MCAS and learn how to defend yourself.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
    eyesopen and Janet Curry like this.