FAST & TOTTEN RESIGN

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by eyesopen, Mar 14, 2024.

1. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

RCSC - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Board Director Resignations Announced
    RCSC Members are advised that resignations have been received from John Fast and Jean Totten effective immediately.

Information announcing the process to be used to fill these vacant RCSC Board of Director positions will be released in the near future.

2. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

Well that's depressing. From all the meetings I've attended or watched, they certainly took their jobs seriously and cared about the members. They will be greatly missed and their shoes won't be easy to fill. I trust they will remain active in other capacities as our community needs passionate involvement from people like them.

Enigma, Linduska, Mark Yates and 2 others like this.
  3. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Extremely disappointed to say the least!

I get it, it's not fun when you find yourself in the minority all the time but what happens is, nobody gets to hear opposing opinions that may very well be pertinent and instructive.

Are we headed for another board full of golfers like in years past where everything golf was good? Or are we headed for another board who will remove another Director simply because he/she had a conflict of opinion, not a real conflict of interest?

I for one don't want a board full of "go-along-to-get-alongs". I want differences of opinions to be voiced, discussed and debated.

This is a very sad situation.

Enigma, Linduska, Mark Yates and 6 others like this.
  4. Happy Hippie

Happy Hippie Active Member

Everyone here is so keen on learning from the past maybe take a look at when things started to go south here, what changed, who were board members, what did they do?

5. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

It shouldn't worry you.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
  6. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

I believe this means there will be at least 4 positions available and possibly 5.

Enigma and Linduska like this.
  7. eyesopen

FYI,
    Only two new directors will be appointed by the board to fill Fast and Totten’s vacancies. Those chosen will serve to the end of this year, December 2024.

About Elections This Fall…you nailed it!

Three director positions with terms ending 2024
    One for Borski who was elected in 2023 for a one year term (remainder of Allan Lenefsky’s vacated term)
    Two new directors to serve one year remaining on each of Fast and Totten’s terms.

SIX TOTAL new board members for 2025!!
    (I think that’s right )

8. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Here's what I'm thinking:

Two to replace Jean and John
    One to replace Anita who only has a one year term.
    Both Kat and Karen's terms are up.

Who's the six?

I believe Kat is not going to run for a second term and I'm not sure what Karen is going to do. It depends how they interpret the 6 months she served during her first term?

I think you may be including Anita in the first 3?

Enigma and Linduska like this.
  9. eyesopen

Yes…I goofed on Borski, so its’s only five, my bad. Sorry ☹️

Elected to serve 2022 - 2024
    • Karen McAdam
    • Kat Fimmel
    • Allan Lenefsky (Borski elected to fill his one year remaining)
    All three positions become available

Two one year positions remaining on each of Fast and Totten terms ending 2024

10. eyesopen

I am concerned.

What has happened to this once promising board to cause two resignations?

Jean’s departure is unsettling.

A prime example of her enthusiasm and tireless efforts was resurrecting a much needed Outreach and Communications Committee, on behalf of the membership.

What has caused its failure to fully launch?
    How frustrating!

RCSC generated communications have not improved, they are worse than before, in my opinion.

I appreciate Jean’s many contributions to the multitude of reform and new RCSC efforts.

I accept and respect Jean’s decision to vacate her position. She will be missed.

Thank you, Jean, for your service to our community.

11. BPearson

I posted a picture of Jane Freeman and i on Facebook Chat today from 2010. A finer woman (person) that was Sun City committed has never existed (IMHO). Along with the photo was the story line most are unfamiliar with. Jane was elected to the RCSC board (in either 1979 or 1980). By the start of 1981, she resigned and walked away. 1980 and 1981 may have been the most contentious, most ugly time period in our history. Jane was a "nice" person. We never talked about it, but i suspect she hated the infighting.

Serving on the board is never and easy task, nor is it for everyone. Over the years, there's been ample numbers who have quit for their own personal reasons. In fact, more than you would expect. I have a simple philosophy; if what i volunteer for isn't "fun," (more like work), i walk away. My time on the RCSC board was one of those rare moments i stayed even when i didn't want to. I thought i could make a difference; i couldn't and by the time my three years were up, i realized how frustrating it was.

I pretty much a "pragmatist these days: "a person who is guided more by practical considerations than by ideals." Back in my youth (said with a grin) my "ideals" paved the path i traveled. Now i'm looking for and at "practical considerations."

Thanks to both John and Jean for giving of their time. The good news is the community is large and there are lots of talented and well meaning members.

Tom Trepanier likes this.
  12. Linda McIntyre

Linda McIntyre Well-Known Member

Enigma and eyesopen like this.
  13. jeb

jeb Active Member

Life is good when you have practical application of your ideals :)

BPearson likes this.
  14. BPearson

Damn dude, quit working and step up, i hear there's two openings on the board:p.

15. Larry

Larry Well-Known Member

This board has been going 90 mph with their hair on fire. Spend more time focusing on a consensus and come up with practical solutions for long term sustainable growth for the community. Communicate your progress let the GM and his staff do the heavy lifting. I have never seen so many people so hell bent to micromanage in one place as this group of board members. Their job is to govern, not manage.

BPearson likes this.
  16. Linda McIntyre

Linda McIntyre Well-Known Member

Governance is hard. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. We've regurgitated all of the things they've had on their plates. Personally, I think they've been listening and taken their responsibilities seriously. They all knew they would not agree on everything, and we know by their votes they stood by their principles and beliefs. Further, it's quite possible a nine member board isn't adequate for an organization this large. These are volunteer positions - not 40 hours a week. There is a Board/management relationship and committee structure - it's the way the business model works. Granted it can slow things down. But it is also the checks and balances. RCSC is also sorely lacking policies and procedures in too many areas; there is a lot of work behind the scenes that we don't see that is needed for organizational integrity that in the long run will benefit RCSC. It's truly unfortunate that we've lost two more board members. And, there's always more to the story.

Enigma, Cheri Marchio and eyesopen like this.
  17. I too, am sad that they resigned. I think this board has done more heavy lifting. No time to take a breath. I also think anyone would get stressed with the steady stream of
    I want, I want from the residents here. Maybe too much over deliberation and need more decide and on to the next. Not enough people to want to step up, and when they have to make firm decisions, they get push-back day in day out. You have to keep the train on the tracks and keep moving forward, but they must remember to be respectful to one another on the board. It looked like some Directors where getting slighted by each other. That is what it looked like.

18. BPearson

Well said Eileen and while it always is disheartening to see board members quit, it happens and life goes on. From my perspective, the two board members who walked away could not be more different. With them gone it is an opportunity for replacements who will get a chance to step into a role short-term and see if they like/are interested in running in the next election. I know the go-to step is to find a retread (former board member), but i would hope they actively solicit newbies who show interest and promise. We'll see.

19. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

They need to be careful if they select a retread. Regardless of what is said in the bylaws about "appointments" not being charged against the "6 years total" of service, that same "6 years total" is a limit specified within the Articles of Incorporation.

The bylaws cannot deactivate a rule in the Articles of Incorporation because the Articles is the superior document. "6 years total" is "6 years total"...end of story!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
    Linduska, Linda McIntyre and eyesopen like this.