Do the current bylaws of RCSC need some TLC?

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by OneDayAtATime, Apr 4, 2024.

1. OneDayAtATime

OneDayAtATime Well-Known Member

It isn't really hard to start a thread here. Since bylaws appeared in our Libraries Thread, let's move them to their own thread.

Batter up!

Jean Totten as One Day at a Time

eyesopen likes this.
  2. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Thanks Jean.

I'm under the impression that a revised draft version of the bylaws will be introduces later this month.

Until they are published and available for comment, I think this thread is perhaps a little premature. However, I would be happy to address any of Dave's concerns on the, failed to pass, version addressed by the Ad Hoc committee.

Enigma and eyesopen like this.
  3. OneDayAtATime

I will be very interested to look at the revised draft version of the bylaws that you speak about. I had more than a passing interest in getting them reviewed and revised while a member of the Board. If they are just going to regurgitate the previous bylaws that almost passed the last time, I will remind everyone that three sitting members of the Board at that time Karen McAdam, John Nowakowski and Steve Collins) had many serious concerns about them that were brought up, discussed and were voted down by the majority (Kat Fimmel, Dale Lehrer, Sue Wilson, Darla Atkin, Mike Ege). I will be checking to see if those changes are made this time around, especially since Karen and Steve are still on the Board.

The bylaws need serious attention, and I find it hard to believe that they could be ready later this month. Besides improving on the content, they could use some serious punctuation and ease of reading improvement. Thanks for the heads up. It's too bad that the Board members do not communicate this information to the Membership. We have to use Talk of Sun City to learn about it.

Enigma and eyesopen like this.
  4. Janet Curry

Janet Curry Well-Known Member

I have visited with Jim Rough about bylaw changes and offered to be on their committee. He told me they really don't have a committee but he has been working on a couple of changes. He said he would send me the draft but I haven't seen anything. I didn't get the impression that it was going to be a complete overhaul of the bylaws. He has proposed a couple of other bylaw changes that have passed and I think they were good ones. (Example, the 500 Member quorum.) With those, he consulted a lawyer friend of his so they have been well worded, concise and to the point.

eyesopen likes this.
  5. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Thank you Janet for your service on the Ad-Hoc committee with Pat Gannon. I think you two were the only ones who truly understood the significance on how to to do it right.

Janet Curry, Enigma and eyesopen like this.
  6. OneDayAtATime

Hi Janet, and yes, a HUGE thank you to you for the time that you spent on the Ad Hoc committee for the revision of the bylaws and for working with me shortly after I took office as I attempted to make some changes to one section. I must correct one item in your post. The lawyer that Jim consulted was approved by president Fimmel and I'm assuming was paid. She was not our corporate lawyer but had expertise in the bylaw category. I do not know if she was a friend of Jim's.

Janet Curry, Enigma and eyesopen like this.
  7. Janet Curry

Janet Curry Well-Known Member

Thanks for the correction, Jean.

eyesopen likes this.