Current Events

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by OneDayAtATime, Apr 6, 2024.

1. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

Posse Shred-A-Thon and Drug Take Back Saturday, April 27th • 8:00 AM to Noon

In conjunction with MCSO and DEA

Posse Headquarters
    10861 W. Sunland Drive
    For More Information:
    623-972-2555

“The Sun City Posse is dedicated to enhancing senior safety and quality of life for the residents. To accomplish this, we offer a wide range of services and events to support the needs of those in our community as we continue to explore other avenues that can benefit the well-being of our neighbors.” Posse website

To learn more:
    https://suncityposse.org/

Check out the Posse Shoppe!
    https://suncityposse.org/posseshoppe/

Janet Curry likes this.
  2. eyesopen

This RCSC Board Meeting 4.25.24
    PROPERTY OPPORTUNITY DISCLOSURE
    At today’s RCSC Board of Directors meeting there was an off agenda, unexpected presentation about an opportunity to acquire the former Acuity Specialty Hospital property, vacant for years at 13818 N Thunderbird Blvd and 111th, Sun City.

The board wanted members to be aware of this offer.

Video will post soon.

Watch all the comments from members and the board.

No decisions have been made.

Meeting video will be here:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdLy0Uy9sKWCJNLz37tn5ug

SUMMARY RCSC Board of Directors Meeting 04/25/2024 Two pages, unfortunately it does not reference property opportunity!
    https://suncityaz.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/BOD-Mtg-Summary-4-25-24.pdf

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  3. Emily Litella

Emily Litella Well-Known Member

EO, did they say for what reason?
    I always thought that would be a good spot for administrative offices.

Janet Curry likes this.
  4. Janet Curry

Janet Curry Well-Known Member

I was at the meeting and nothing has been determined at this time. The owner of the property only contacted RCSC a few days ago after the property failed to sell at auction last week. The initial bid was $1.6 M and the top bid was $2.9 M, which was below the asking price. It was mentioned that RCSC might put in an option to see if it fits into the five year plan. The only possible use I heard the Board or Management offer was offices. Of course Members offered other possibilities. It's all in the beginning stages but the Board is trying to be transparent with Members. I think they may have given out too much information considering that this is a real estate transaction. It could be a very good opportunity for RCSC to acquire this property. It contains a main building and five or six separate pods. It previously was a medical rehab facility and is currently zoned medical.

Enigma and eyesopen like this.
  5. eyesopen

Right, Janet, “No decisions at this time.”
    Good move by the board to share the information about the opportunity and hopefully continue to do so.
    Thanks for attending and your recap.

Janet Curry likes this.
  6. John Fast

John Fast Active Member

Janet, I heard about this opportunity several weeks ago. Actually, an enthusiastic member took me to the property last year when it was on and off the market. While I never say never, I hope everyone considers that we (RCSC) are having a difficult time maintaining the facilities we have, and this would add significantly to our maintenance obligations. In addition, our utilization of air-conditioned flat space is way less than 50% which indicates we are not utilizing what we have. All of this means fees must go up by a large amount to add another recreation center. As it currently stands, our members complain about modest increases. Just saying...

eyesopen, Janet Curry and Enigma like this.
  7. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of continuing to add assets that will increase our financial responsibilities, just as I was against the purchase of the Grand Avenue property to add an 8th recreation center, however, I am in favor of this.

I think the 2 biggest mistakes that Sun City has ever made was when they sold off our water company and when they sold and then failed to repurchase the Lakes Club property.

I say buy this now, and we'll figure out what to do with it at a later date. I just wish we could turn it into something that would produce an income rather than an expense.

8. eyesopen

9. Janet Curry

Janet Curry Well-Known Member

Since RCSC is a nonprofit, I am not sure it can be used to make money. I expected to hear someone say something about increased maintenance, but no one did. Nonetheless, I am glad they are investigating this. It would give us time to properly plan a Lakeview remodel without just sticking a PAC anywhere on the site.

eyesopen likes this.
  10. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

I was hoping to see a video and that slide presentation and discussion on that property?

Perhaps they're working on something a little more substantial an will post that with an opportunity for Member comments?

Enigma and Janet Curry like this.
  11. Sambo

Sambo Member

I believe non-profits can make money but the money has to go back into the corporation to benefit the members. There are many non-profits making (and charging) alot of money.Royal Oaks for one.

12. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Here's an off the wall crazy thought! What if they turned those 6 units into short-term rental cottages for people who are considering about moving to Sun City? They can spend a couple weeks to get to see the area and all our amenities and things we have to offer. Include a Guest Pass???

We would just need to figure out what to do with them during the Summer heat! Lol!

Just an out-of-the-box crazy thought!

Enigma, Janet Curry and Mark Yates like this.
  13. eyesopen

“Karen McAdam said this was just an initial announcement about “breaking news” and the board would plan meetings for residents to discuss the options with them in the future, likely in the form of town hall meetings as timing is important and they couldn’t expect this opportunity to be available for months.”
    Sun City Independent online 4.25.24

Janet Curry likes this.
  14. Linda McIntyre

Linda McIntyre Well-Known Member

You're correct. I always say "non-profit is a tax-status - not a mission statement." (Humor) This is why attorneys and tax accountants are important in these discussions.

eyesopen and Janet Curry like this.
  15. John Fast

John Fast Active Member

I hope this is taken in a positive light based on my experience building a house and remodeling several other houses. I hope that RCSC takes its time to fully investigate the level of remodeling required for this new building which is for sale to effectively function as a recreation center. Generally, purpose built buildings are very difficult to repurpose due to the configuration of the walls and the HVAC systems. I trust cooler heads will have this building professionally evaluated to determined its suitability for whatever purpose the members want the building to serve.

Emily Litella, Enigma and Janet Curry like this.