April 25th Board Meeting

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by John Fast, Apr 21, 2024.

1. John Fast

John Fast Active Member

The April Board meeting seems like it will be boring except for the curious motion Jim Rough is making to change projects eligible for the PIF from at least a 15 year life to at least a 10 year life. My Spidey senses are tingling as this Board seems to have more things hidden than King Tut's tomb. So I wrote the following to Director Rough to see if we can get a bit more detail on why this is important.

Jeff and I originally discussed dropping the useful life PIF requirement to 10 years and received significant pushback from Karen. I do not recall what her concern was. As you know I am in favor having one capital account that the Board allocates through the budgeting and long-range planning process. I am also a strong proponent of having a realistic reserve for emergencies. I am in favor of the "widow/widower" exception but am confident some folks will try to game the system. One thing you may want to consider is whether the exemption applies to rental properties. As currently stated, I believe it does apply to rental properties and I am not in favor of that.
    The questions I have on the changes in PIF/CIF useful life qualification changes are these:
    1. Is this something that is being recommended by the long-range planning committee as a part of its planning process review?
    2. What assets meet the 10-year requirement that do not meet the 15-year requirement. Can you provide a list based on accountings depreciable life criteria?
    I hope this is helpful to you. There are many typos in the motion, and I assume you will clean those up in a friendly amendment.

carptrash and Janet Curry like this.