After the 4.8.24 Exchange: Library/RCSC posts

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by OneDayAtATime, Apr 9, 2024.

1. OneDayAtATime

OneDayAtATime Well-Known Member

Please stay on topic.

Yesterday, the right thing to do was apologize.

I heard Karen say, "We know how important this topic is....I'd like to take a few moments to frame this issue at least from MY perspective." Later she began inserting the word "we." I will assume that what she read was agreed upon by the whole Board.

That's good on them.

However, when the GM had the opportunity to speak, I did not hear an apology.

Waiting to see what happens after the Information meeting on Wednesday.
    Jean Totten as One Day at a Time

2. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

I thought Karen did an exceptional job yesterday under very trying conditions.
    Kudos to all involved.

Eileen McCarty, eyesopen, FYI and 2 others like this.
  3. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

EXCHANGE VIDEO IS AVAILABLE!!
    An amazing community experience!
    Posted Tuesday 4.09.24, 11:20 am https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdLy0Uy9sKWCJNLz37tn5ug

Deeply moving personal reasons members shared about THEIR library.

Enlightening information shared by members who offered their credible referenced research.

As Karen McAdam said, the board really doesn’t need a study, The Exchange meeting was THE study!

I look forward to what the board tells us after they meet on Wednesday!!

Janet Curry likes this.
  4. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

The size of the crowd was amazing and aside from a few who couldn't contain themselves in the audience the meeting went on in great form. I agree that Karen did a commendable job in listening, retaining composure and kept things moving along so each person who wanted to speak had their opportunity.

I hope the result of this meeting is a good faith effort by Management to extend our lease for at least 3-5 years. This was the first time I heard about the Cooling Station issues for the library. We'll have to see what comes out of that discussion.

5. eyesopen

Do we know what time the board’s meeting started today, 4.10.24?

6. eyesopen

1.3K views of the Exchange meeting in just one day!

Janet Curry likes this.
  7. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Wow, awesome. Self-governance works.

Janet Curry likes this.
  8. John Fast

John Fast Active Member

In all fairness, Karen's prepared remarks were extremely well constructed, and she delivered them very precisely. I do not think Kat could have pulled that off. However, I did not find one ounce of sincerity in any of the remarks and each word was so carefully chosen it was hard to swallow. Anyone who dares ask any questions will be chastised on social media for picking at minutiae. Unfortunately, my training causes me to listen carefully to each word and dissect what possibly could be meant. So here goes: one or several directors had informal conversations with the GM about repurposing the Fairway branch and possibly relocating the Bell branch to a more central location (did I hear that correctly???). The lease was expiring and the GM (with these Board member's knowledge ????) issued the nonrenewal notice required. Word got out and they were caught. I think members would have noticed the missing libraries eventually. The more troubling aspect to me was some new Board members were congratulating each other after the meeting on how well they had handled the situation and how the members were essentially in the wrong. Yeah OK. Here we go again - Us versus Them.

Linduska and Emily Litella like this.
  9. eyesopen

End of business day, 4.10.24 5:14pm,
    NO statement from RCSC Board meeting announcing a libraries lease decision.
    Day isn’t over until 11:59pm, patience.

Janet Curry and Tom Trepanier like this.
  10. Tom Trepanier

Tom Trepanier Well-Known Member

Difficult to be patient these days! Lol

Janet Curry likes this.
  11. eyesopen

They should have issued something today, a progress report. "We met for three hours today. Reconvene tomorrow.....Thank you for your patience."
    The natives are restless

Janet Curry and Tom Trepanier like this.
  12. eyesopen

‼️RCSC LIBRARIES PROGRESS UPDATE
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    April 11, 2024

As shared at the Exchange meeting on April 8 and according to the normal pattern of Board oversight, the RCSC Board met on Wednesday afternoon for a follow-up discussion on topics brought forward by the Membership, which this month centered almost exclusively around the future of Sun City libraries.

The preliminary result of the Board Information Session is that a subset of Board members and Management staff will be meeting with Mr. Jeremy Reeder, Director of Maricopa County Library District (MCLD), in the very near future to discuss concerns particular to our situation. While the totality of our agreement with Maricopa County is open for discussion, we expect the conversation to focus particularly on safety and security concerns.

We are delighted to have this opportunity to address those issues and to discuss with the MCLD the kinds of resources they can offer to help mitigate potential concerns in order to work toward a more long-term lease agreement.
    #
    https://mailchi.mp/319a482e443c/board-meeting-agenda-monday-7514937?e=f18f779945

Janet Curry likes this.
  13. Cheri Marchio

Cheri Marchio Active Member

As I posted in the other thread. This a whole Lotta nothing burger. Disappointing but not surprising.

14. No Cheri, driveling PR BS. Still haven’t said what the plans are for the vacated spaces now or in the future. The GM had a plan, what was it and it wasn’t for a dog person social club?

Janet Curry likes this.
  15. OneDayAtATime

OneDayAtATime Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm grasping at straws but playing Devil's Advocate here: Do you think it might be because the president is on vacation? They would feel more comfortable waiting until she returns?

Jean Totten as One Day at a Time

Janet Curry likes this.
  16. John Fast

John Fast Active Member

I would like to state unequivocally that MCLD has safety and security protocols that are in place in EVERY one of their libraries including ones in other 55 + communities. Has anyone read that these have become a concern for the library system? How long has the library been there and are these new issues? The questions are rhetorical. The truth is hard to hide no matter how much spin Board officers try to put on it.

Emily Litella and Janet Curry like this.
  17. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

I don't think so.

The president of the board is just that, the president. Placed in that position to preside over meetings. He or she is not king or queen and the president alone cannot make any final decisions without the approval of the entire board.

18. eyesopen

Are there safety and security concerns at Fairway?

Friends of Sun Cities Libraries speaking with Kevin McCurdy, “ When asked WHY, McCurdy said RCSC needs the space, but he did not know for what exactly. He also stated that he felt the **Fairway location was unsafe due to homeless nearby, and then mentioned his disdain that MCLD did not pay rent for the library facilities.”
    What Do We Know So Far?
    Save Our Libraries website:https://saveoursuncitylibraries.weebly.com/

Several Exchange speakers addressed the issue of safety. Some said there’s no problem, others said there is and offered solutions.

Libraries cannot deny anyone from accessing the library unless they’re causing a disturbance. Period.

MCLD and libraries everywhere have solutions to handle such occurrences as well as security advice and support.

We’re all aware there are homeless in our community. Look at the recent security measures established at Oakmont center. Should we have just closed it instead??

Last edited: Apr 11, 2024
    Janet Curry likes this.
  19. Happy Hippie

Happy Hippie Active Member

Or the two stabbing victims in Fry's parking lot on Grand. Person of interest is no longer in the area. Happened around 2:30 pm. No updates. Stay vigilant, be safe. No further comment.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2024
    Janet Curry likes this.
  20. EO, I feel unsafe that there too many Trumpers in my neighborhood, but I remain vigilant against the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune and the learning impaired.