Travelling Vietnam Memorial Wall

Discussion in 'Non Sun City Related Discussions' started by Adam560, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Adam560

Adam560 Member

Just returned from Rio Vista Park viewing the travelling wall. It will be there until Monday morning.

It's hard to believe that after over 50+ years I still get tears in my eyes when I see it.

2. fixj

fixj Active Member

Something to understand about the Viet Nam wall. If you search by hometown or state you could miss those who enlisted somewhere other than their hometown.
    I recently learned that a high school friend who was KIA enlisted in the Marine Corps immediately college ( another town and state) and is not included in the search for our home town.

I am revisiting the wall in DC in October.

3. Adam560

Adam560 Member

If you have a chance to visit the wall in Peoria, go into the main building. They will locate names for you, and a volunteer will take you to the wall and actually trace the name on paper.

I was able to find the names of 7 guys that I played ball with in high school and college. In fact, if football had not torn up my knee, my name might be there with theirs.

4. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

I'm sorry that I missed it,
    I have visited The Wall in DC several times and it was always powerful.
    I have an interesting book (20 years old, + or -) of artifacts left at the Wall. They are collected every day and stored, exhibited, in a huge warehouse or something around DC.

5. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

We went to the wall in Peoria yesterday and it was quite a sobering experience. Seeing the over 58,000 names and realizing how many families were impacted by this loss leaves an impact.

6. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

And, I can't help asking myself, for what?
    And, what lesson was learned?