Transition lenses

Discussion in 'Medical and Health' started by pegmih, Jul 17, 2013.

1. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

I'm sure someone on this forum has transition lenses.
    Do you like them?
    I understand there are 2 kinds. Fast transition and slow transition.
    Which is better?
    I will probably be getting new glasses next month.

2. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

Last time I brought transition I was disappointed because they did not transition in the car. They transitioned via UV light which the windshield filtered out too much. Don't know if that has changed or not because it was several years ago. But its something to ask when you buy.

3. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Good point. I will ask before buying.
    I was especially interested in them for driving.

4. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

Something else I've learned about glasses. Many people complain that their lenses smudge badly, worse than they used to do, and they wonder how lenses have changed. I finally figured it out. Its the non-glare coating they sell you. Personally, I don't find it helps that much (despite the example they show you). You can usually tell if you have it because the lenses have a soap-bubble, rainbow sheen if you look at then from an angle. So if you are frustrated with the increased smudge factor try not getting the anti-glare. I will never buy anti-glare again.

5. gilmark

gilmark New Member

I don't use them, but buy the granny-looking over the glasses sun glasses. I like how they have side shading also.

6. archer

archer New Member

I have worn transition lenses for years and would never buy glasses without them. I do have separate sun glasses for long drives and leave them in the car, but rarely wear them as I have found the anti glare sufficient most of the time. What I love is being able to go in and out of the house without changing glasses, they also help with the very bright lights in supermarkets.

It makes a difference where you get them, the one hour places do use cheap anti glare coatings that can look smeared in certain light, and the lenses scratch easily. COSTCO has the best prices and so far the very best quality, I'm tough on glasses and always was replacing scratched lenses, with the COSTCO glasses I have yet to scratch a lens and one pair is 4 years old. They do take 10 days to 2 weeks to get but well worth the wait.

7. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

I have to constantly clean my glasses.
    Is there a good cleaner?
    I spray them in the morning and wipe with a lens cloth.
    Seems I have to do this several times a day.

Gee. Maybe I'd better not spend so much time on computer. NOT!

I keep a pair of sunglasses (dollar store) in my car that work better than my scripts.

8. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

One of my sons uses Costco. Maybe he can get my new glasses.
    However, it is my understanding that you do not have to be a member of Cosco to get glasses there.
    Is that correct?

9. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

I have worn eye-glasses since I was in 4th grade -- and a youngster - in 6th grade - when I first wore "hard-contact-lenses". My vision is better with the contacts -- however, I only see far with them - - then I need my reading glasses.
    Since I retired I normally just wear my regular tri-focal - - progressive eye-glasses and like them - - I have the Transition Lenses and feel it is safe for outdoors.. however, when I go to the outdoor pools, I always wear my Very Dark - -UV protection- polarized Sun Glasses... protect those eyes.
    There are many products on the market to clean eye-glasses - - some are liquids - that you just add a few drops to your lenses and wipe clean with a cloth or tissue made for eye ware.

10. archer

archer New Member

Yes....you can use the optometrist and buy glasses there without being a member....also you can use their pharmacy and I believe their hearing aid center (but I'm not sure of that).