The only way to have ourselves heard is ....

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by OneDayAtATime, Sep 9, 2021.

1. OneDayAtATime

OneDayAtATime Well-Known Member

On Talk of Sun City, we can create new threads and complain bitterly on others up the wazoo; we can create our own Facebook group; but UNTIL WE HAVE ONE PLACE FOR INTERESTED MEMBERS TO ORGANIZE, NOTHING WILL BE ACCOMPLISHED.

IMHO (In my humble opinion), we need a database of names WITH email and phone numbers to create a large enough group to make ourselves heard here in Sun City. Having only lived here since 2019, I am not aware if such a list already exists. The Board has Email Blasts, the website, the ability to post posters at Rec. halls at their fingertips; we have nothing!!

I'd be willing to start the creation of such a database or contact list, but may need some technical help along the way. Send me your name, your email and your phone number and whether you prefer a text or an email so we can do something other than talk!! Thank you. (To the powers that be that control this group, if this thread is not allowed, please let me know.)

Edited 9/10/21: Well, I deleted my email address because SCR is probably right about theft/security, etc. (Yes, I know it was out there for all to see for several days so it's probably too late.)

But apparently there is a way to message people in this group that is private. Could one of you more experienced Talk of Sun City explain how to do that, and if you're interested in getting on a contact list of those who are determined to make a difference in Sun City (rather than just bi*ch about it), use it to contact me!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  2. SCR

SCR Active Member

I don’t think that is going to happen.

I for one will never give the information you request.

Due to hacking, there is no way to keep any information Secure in today’s environment.

3. OneDayAtATime

OneDayAtATime Well-Known Member

Yes, I see your point. You have been a member on this forum for quite a while; do you have thoughts on how to accomplish the creation of a group?

4. SCR

SCR Active Member

Unfortunately in today's connected world there really is no 100% way to keep the information you'd like to collect secure.

Then too, I think a lot of people like myself would not want to have their information added to another list.

Currently, the best way to keep information secure on your PC is to use a VPN (Virtual Private Network). But even that is not 100% secure - it can be hacked.
    A simple spreadsheet would suffice for collection and storage.
    Then there is a possibility to encrypt that data locally on your PC, but if you lose the encryption key, your information is not retrievable.

Another issue that might arise with such a list would be in sending email blasts of your own. Depending on how large the list is, your ISP may flag some or all of those
    emails as spam simply because the list is so large.

Doing any of this on a phone may also be more secure, but I think it becomes a huge task to send mass emails and/or texts from a phone.
    I for one use my phone to receive and make calls and nothing more.

Don't take my word for any of this, I've been out of IT for over 20 years.

Good luck with your endeavor.

5. CMartinez

CMartinez Well-Known Member

I did some research into community websites which can be built which are exeptionally secure and designed for the community and non-profit minded. I would think if the Fulbright Scholarship Fund uses them for their web hosting, as well as numerous other well known philanthrapy groups, it would be more than ideal for the pending group being considered.

I, for one, would be more than willing to give some money to such an effort in order to get our focus, strategy and members to be able to communicate securely with one another

The phone is the easiest technology to hack. People desiring to hear phone conversations, rather cell phone or land line can do simple modifiactions to a baby monitor, and hear every word you say SCR. I worked in the telecommunications for 30 yeaars, I can assure you, if someone wants to intercept your call and information, it is easily done.

A secured website with muliptle layers of encryption is an ideal means to communicate amongst the group, and have a significant margin of safety. The above mentioned items as to why you would not participate are all, to me, common misinformation and fallacies assocaited with electronic communication.I looked at numerous companies who offer low cost non profit communication links to community groups, such as Wordpress and others of that caliber. This can be done, either by an individual, or pay money to have a site hosted by a professional.

Just my information as a way to gather a group of like minded individuals with a common theme with a secure way of communicating with each other in real time

OneDayAtATime likes this.
  6. SCR

SCR Active Member

Overall, I agree with some of what you say.
    However, there is NO webiste that is 100% secure and NO ONE can guarantee that.

As for phone safety, I could care less if people listen to my phone calls. I have nothing to hide and I NEVER give out any personal information over a a phone.
    be it a land line or cell phone. If you do shame on you.

My reference to a cell phone is that, YES it can be and has been hacked. The point is that a cell phone is no more secure DATA wise than a PC.
    ALL can and have been hacked. Some of the largest Corporations have been hacked. Even one of the Credit bureaus (I believe it is Experian).

If you trust your cell phone and/or pc to be 100% secure, you set up a group as you wish. I'll have no part in it.

MONEY is not the answer to this question. Money only attracts those who are only focused on money. We live in the US which is the greediest nation in the world.
    Most people are focused on money. I could care less about money. As the saying goes, Money is the root of all evil.

I've been involved in IT since 1961 - punched card forward to today and internet and WIFI. THERE IS NO 100% secure website. If its available online through the internet,
    it is susceptible to hacking.

Did you worry about ID theft 20 years ago before the internet became so popular? I doubt it. The internet has made ID theft simple and commonplace.

Adding your name, address, and email address to yet another group is just compounding the problem.

7. CMartinez

So then, what is your best idea for a way to generate a list of like minded citizens to create a group to interact with each other and still be able to be secure? There is a huge need to create a comunity for those of us wanting to take back Sun City, and gather like minded individuals together for the sake of Sun City. Since my suggestion meets with you disapproval, what is your answer to the current outstanding dilemma? We need the ability to organize, and quickly. What solutions have you, SCR?

8. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

With all due respect, I find it quite interesting SCR that your concerns about internet security doesn't seem to stop you from posting here, even though there are back doors that lead to your e-mail address, which could be gleaned from this site, and lead to further hacking of personal information?

But I agree NOTHING is safe anymore!

9. SCR

SCR Active Member

The best option but probably not attainable would be to have the MEMBERS show up in numbers exceeding 1300 heads at each and EVERY RCSC Meeting. Without member participation at meetings NOTHING will change.
    Those on this forum have been struggling with this issue for almost 20 years.

I’ll say again, unless things progress to the the point of huge increases in Annual Assessments the members will not get involved.

the upcoming board meeting where people actually show up will be a forecast of where we are headed.

if the majority of those showing up on Monday are only there because of Karen’s dismissal and pickleball then there will be no changes in how the board operates. There is no one on the board who has any credibility at this point.

Good luck on creating an online group of protestors.

10. CMartinez

So, all the members show up at a meeting in numbers, how do you communicate the needs and desires of the group to the other like minded members as to create cohesiveness, mutual goals and plan future get togethers and create an action plan?

I NEVER said anything was foolproof. I suggested there are a few companies which specialize in community organization and non-profits who help folks get started on their communal journey and afford a way in which to come together as a group. One of these service providers also is a servicer of the Fulbright Scholarship Committee, plus the Harvard Alumni Association and others. In doing my due diligence in researching these various options, I searched for suppoprt, ease of use and security.

I said NOTHING about throwing money are anything. I merely stated there may be costs which will need to be covered, such as a site name to register, as well as establish a dedicated site URL. Those do not come free, but can be had reasonably. I, again state, I am willing to contribute cover some of the expenses to set up this endeavor.

Creating a "group of protestors" is the first step to organizational development of new website for the "We, the People of Sun City" No, not claiming that will be the name, just something off the top of my head.

SCR, I have made suggestions to move forward with a comprehensive idea, and all you have done is complain. AGAIN I ask what it YOUR solution?