Sun City Golf Cart Accidents

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by aggie, May 17, 2015.

1. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

There was another serious golf cart versus automobile accident on Saturday at 99th and Burns Drive. It was in the news both online and on television this morning. In all the photos I couldn't see any seat belts. The golf cart driver was reported to have been ejected and the cart landed on him.

PLEASE be cautious when operating your golf cart on our roadways. If you don't have seat belts....get them installed. There will be another FREE installation this fall or do it at a dealer for a reasonable cost. If you do have them....WEAR THEM. Falling from the golf cart is the biggest factor in injuries but won't guaranty safety when involved in an accident with a motor vehicle.

This may have not been a factor, but when driving straight through a controlled intersection(especially a busy one like 103rd & Thunderbird ) stay in the main traffic lane. Many accidents occur because oncoming traffic think you will be making a right hand turn from the far right shoulder.

We don't want to lose the privilege of driving golf carts on our roadways.:indecisiveness:

2. Posse Information

Posse Information New Member

Golf cars are the vehicles you drive, golf carts are the things you pull behind you that carry your clubs.

3. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Most everywhere you play golf you can get a golf "cart" rental to drive around the course. I think with so many new low speed vehicles and neighborhood electric vehicles(NEVs), the dealerships would rather have you call them "golf cars" but they are rarely if ever used for golf. Maybe it's a midwest thing, but I have used a pull cart on the course but I drive my golf cart.

4. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Last Friday, May 15, I was driving south on Del Webb below Hutton and apparently there had been an accident in front of St. Clement Church. A group was cleaning up.

Anyone know what happened?

5. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Not to argue with you aggie, but Posse Commander is spot on: You pull a golf cart and you drive a golf car.

6. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Well Bill, do you drink pop or soda? Think it's just one of those word things. There are a lot of golf cart sales offices and golf cart battery ads. :)

7. BPearson

Couldn't agree more aggie. It's been a pet peeve for many over the years and without questions like this, what would we have to obsess or get frustrated about? Shows you just how good the Sun City way of life is...we need to find things to turn our crank a bit.

Too fun.

8. Posse Information

Posse Information New Member

A car turning left from northbound Del Webb ran into the side of a delivery van that was southbound on Del Webb. While that accident was being cleared, a northbound car crossed into the median in front of Riverview golf course and knocked down a bunch of signs, almost knocking out a couple of natural gas valves.

These are some of the neat things you get to help out with when you are a Posse member.

9. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Thank You.
    Drivers beware of driving in Sun City!

10. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

I'm posting just a couple references regarding golf "carts" and the AZ laws relating to their operation:

ADOT-Related Legislative Summaries

Sorted by Bill Number
    HB 2027 – Golf Carts; NEVs; Passing; Driving (Chapter 23, Laws 2014)
    Allows, in unincorporated areas of Maricopa County, a person to drive a golf cart or a Neighborhood Electric Vehicle (NEV) on a paved shoulder or as close as possible to the right-hand curb if there is no paved shoulder. Drivers may overtake and pass a golf cart or NEV even if the driver's vehicle shares a lane with the golf cart or NEV when the overtaking and passing occurs. Clarifies that a person driving a golf cart or NEV must yield the right-of-way to a vehicle traveling in the same direction that is intending to turn to the right.

From the AZ DOT:
    Mandatory Insurance

Arizona requires that every motor vehicle operated on our roadways be covered by one of the statutory forms of financial responsibility, more commonly called liability insurance, through a company that is authorized to do business in Arizona. This includes golf carts, motorcycles and mopeds.
    Minimum levels of financial responsibility are:

$15,000 bodily injury liability for one person and $30,000 for two or more persons
    $10,000 property damage liability

Law enforcement officers will ask you for proof of insurance at the time of traffic stops or accidents. Insurance companies notify us of all policy cancellations, non-renewals and new policies. If your insurance company sends us a notice that your policy is no longer active, we will send you an inquiry notice to verify insurance status.

Failure to maintain proper insurance could lead to the suspension of your vehicle registration and/or driver license. To reinstate these privileges, fees and future proof of financial responsibility must be filed with us. The future proof requirement is most commonly an SR22 form from an insurance company. This can be expensive to the vehicle owner, especially since the law requires the owner to carry the SR22 for three years from the date of suspension.

11. Tillie

Tillie New Member

This week I saw a golf car(t) run a left RED ARROW TURN SIGNAL from north on Del Webb to west on Bell and then turn right into the Safeway/CVS parking lot on Bell. If all the traffic that had a green light hadn't stopped for that idiot he'd be dead today.

12. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Golf Cars are not allowed on Bell Road.

FYI
    A Golf CAR is what you drive.
    A Golf CART is what you pull behind you.

Actually I learned that on the forum.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  13. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

It used to be that you'd go to the "bowling alley" to roll a couple games but now you go to the "bowling center". A ball thrown down the lane into the "gutter" is now called the "channel". The word police will let interchanging all these words pass without penalty.

14. supersox

supersox New Member

This thread really got me thinking about being safe on the streets! Does anyone know who makes the safest golf car to be driven on the streets??? I do not think I would feel safe in an EZ GO or Club Car.

15. BPearson

There is no such thing as a "safe golf car" ss. Think about it in these terms; golf cars weigh 25% of what a car weighs and even worse compared to vans, trucks and SUV's. That said, my golf car is my car around Sun City. It's just a matter of driving defensively; almost akin to driving a motorcycle or bike. Safety first, getting there second.

I wouldn't be without it, but it is a learning experience. The great news about Sun City is we have wider streets than most age restricted communities and a huge number of golf cars. Unfortunately there's still a handful of folks who hate golf cars.

16. 3rdGen

3rdGen Member

Besides the ' driving defensively ' that BP mentioned one must take into account
    that in Sun City many drive legally blind and deaf :upset:

17. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

Reminds me of that old age joke. I can barely see or hear anymore...thank goodness I can still drive. I understand deaf, but are you saying legally blind can still drive?

18. BPearson

That's almost funny Cynthia, but one can only speculate how many Sun City residents who may be out there in their golf cars because they've lost their license for the car. I know it's nice to stay mobile as we age, but this may be taking it to the extreme.

19. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

In Arizona it is legal to drive with only one eye.
    I was having depth perception problems when my eye was covered after surgery.

20. 3rdGen

3rdGen Member

No not at all, I know of a few people who should NOT be driving because of their eyesight and worse
    I also know of a couple who no longer have a driver license and continue to drive and they scare me more
    because they do not have any insurance.