Scientific Words Banned

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by Cynthia, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

Scary time when the president bans the CDC from using the everyday words of science-based, evidence-based and fetus. There are no scientific word replacements for these. Fortunately the applicable bullshit-based was not banned.

2. Cynthia

I'm also going to lose A LOT of money with the new tax plan. I am one of the unfortunate who had planned to live in my house 2 out of 5 years, then sell it and be able to deduct the first $250,000 of capital gains that has been in effect for a long time now. I planned on that for retirement funds but they decided to change it to living in the house 5 out of 8 years before you can do that. I'm retiring next year so I'm screwed. All of the tax changes will require me to pay more. People think they are doing better with a $12,000 standard deduction until they will realize they eliminated the $4,000 personal exemption (per dependent). Many will lose more. And then the property & state tax is combined to $10,000. So unless you can itemize above the $12,000, the $10,000 in property and state is basically useless. I used to have plenty to itemize, but not after retirement.

3. Cynthia

Turns out it wasn't actually a ban. They were trying to figure out how to phrase things in the budget requests so as not to trigger any push-back from the conservatives who currently hold the purse strings. Still, the fact that scientist have to tip-toe over scientific words because conservatives might get triggered. I guess it was a self-imposed ban. Sad.

4. Cynthia

We’re so going backwards it’s pathetic.

5. Cynthia

First he bragged that he had tricked people “this will gut Obamacare but I told them to keep quiet about it” Now he won’t sign his own tax bill until January. Why won’t he sign his own bill? Because that would cause immediate cuts to Medicare in 2018, an election year. If he waits to sign it untill Jan., the cuts won’t start until 2019. But the Medicare cuts will happen. They have to pay for this tax reduction.