SCHOA...revisted

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Jun 28, 2016.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

It was almost 10 years ago to the day when Ben Roloff, Gary Bourne and i walked into Doug Kelsey's (then president) Sun City Home Owners Association Office. We had about 6 months serving on the SCHOA board and there was one thing abundantly clear; the organization sucked.

There were 80 plus open cases (some 3 and 4 years old) sitting on the compliance managers desk. The executive director had no interest in them and it was clear the inmates were running the asylum (that's not a bad thing unless they're doing a crappy job).

Suffice to say, crappy would be a compliment.

We told Doug how frustrated we were and invited him to join us as we rebuilt it. He didn't fight us on it, though wasn't as excited by it as we were. We knew it would be an uphill battle, as the staff was ingrained and felt they owned the process.

Rather than go in with a meat cleaver, we put a microscope on the staff to try and get a handle on what employees did. By summers end, all of the staff quit. As we headed to SCHOA's busy season, we were left with the board filling in until we could hire replacements. There were some bumps in the road, but through it all we got by.

Fast forward those 10 years since our coup and it is amazing to see how SCHOA has evolved. Boards have come and gone, executive directors have come and gone, and still SCHOA is going strong and doing great. Not without some angst, but that's the nature of the beast: Home owners associations are often viewed as "the Nazi police." In SCHOA's case they are anything but (unless you happen to be one of the handful who think they can do as they please).

I won't belabor this post any longer but to remind you of SCHOA's open house this afternoon (6-28-15) from noon to 2 pm at 10401 West Coggins Drive. They are celebrating the opening of their newly remodeled building so if you get a chance, stop on down and say hi. I'm going down and will take some photo's and post them after.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  2. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Stopped down yesterday and had a nice chat with folks. The remodel is nice though it would have been better to see a little more size to it. The stucco job updates the look and the inside appearance is 100% improvement. Congrats to all and keep up the good work.*

Here's a couple of photo's, inside and out (they don't do it justice):*
    Damn, it won't let me post the photos without resizing them...bummer.*