Rio Vista Park - Peoria- Close to Sun City

Discussion in 'Picture Perfect' started by Anita Mae, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

Pics taken in Jan. 2010 when our area had several days of rain - and downpours - and flooding in areas. Rio Vists also got flooded in the "river-bed". A rare site to see - I was glad to have my camera close-by.

flood waters Rio Vista Jan. 2010.jpg flood waters Jan 2010  - 1.jpg flood waters Jan. 2010 - 2.jpg flood waters Jan. 2010 - 3.jpg flood waters Jan. 2010 - 4.jpg

Rio Vista Park was built approx. 2003. It has beautiful walking/biking "sidewalks" which will go for miles. Beautiful desert scenery. A fishing lake, skate boarding, soccer, baseball fields, Gym, playground for the children and a Starbucks -- all on site. Location: W. Thunderbird off Rio Vista Pkwy.

2. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

Great photos. Wonder why they have a bridge if it floods so infrequently. Where does the bridge go?

3. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

I went to this park shortly after arriving in Arizona in 2007
    My grandson's class had their year-end party there.

The Spash Park is unique and the kids love it.
    rio vista splash.jpg

4. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

W. Thunderbird, off Rio Vista Pkway, near 101
    You can't miss it.

5. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

Cynthia -- The bridge goes from one walking/bike trail - - crosses to the other side of the River Bed where the other walking/bike trail is - - and also the park itself....The River Bed (which is usually pretty dry) lies in the middle of the two trails. The bridge - I believe was put there to get across the river bed -- which is pretty full of desert landscape and it is "down in a large gulley-type area." Need the bridge for people to get from one side to another... Did I explain this o.k. ? If you are ever out this way -- check out that park -- you will be able to see it's uniqueness for yourself.

6. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

Oh I see. It does look like a beautiful park. Do you get tired of seeing desert landscape? I haven't seen that much so it always looks beautiful to me. The colors, the rocks. I love tropical too but the desert has that minimalism that is so clean.

7. Anita Mae

Anita Mae New Member

Cynthia - I never tire of seeing The Desert ! However, hot & dry in the summer --for certain !..
    I visited Dallas back in January -- WOW - -I forgot what all that Green looks like - - but the humidity and damp feel was not likeable to my arthritis !
    Green is nice - - but dry is better !