Politics, Sun City Style.

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by carptrash, Apr 9, 2018.

1. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

No, this is not about the littering of campaign signs that we are going to have to look at until Novemeber, unless . . . ....... but I digress already.

Did you ever walk away from a meeting or something and think, “I am not quite sure what I just heard but it seems like it was important?” Well that was me after leaving the Member Exchange meeting tonight. No, I was not confused about the black algae in the pool, that was pretty clear. It was the next few speakers that got my attention, and perhaps yours. The first one, maybe Lance (?) got up and said that a recent look at Republican candidate Debbie Lesko’s web site revealed endorsements by a bunch of people, identified as “Board of Director” of Sun City and “SHOA Board” members and some staff members. Shortly thereafter at least the title part was removed. I am going over to her wb site and the main picture is her sitting with a former Board member. which is a disappointment to me, but nothing wrong with it. Under the list of “individuals” endorsing Lesko we find a bunch of people most of whom have some identifying label, “Republican Precinct Committeemen; Surprise residents” or “Music Legend Pat Boone” that sort of thing, but some of the ones who no longer have labels are, Jan Ek, Jerry DeLano, Dan Schroeder, all Sun City BoD members of management. And, if I understood what was said correctly, all identified as such until recently.
    The next speaker was a very emotional fellow who, upon going into some Sun City office (maybe “Tom Wilson” who also appears on the “Lesko List”) to complain about this List discovered a Debbie Lesko campaign poster in the office. Whooops. Probably now gone.
    The third, and probably most passionate speaker, and one I expect to show up here shortly and correct any misconceptions that I might be perpetrating, pointed out that the same BoD apparently prevented a political meeting hosted by the Sun City Democratic Club featuring Lesko’s opponent Dr. Hiral Tipirneni from happening. Found something wrong with the paperwork two days before the event and said, “Sorry, no can do,”
    If that’s what was going on it is pretty nasty. But soon we’ll here the story from the horse’s mouth. I hope.
    I notice that the Lesko site still lists a bundh of what appear to me to be Sun City West “officials” as endorsers. Hmmmmm.

5thd likes this.
  2. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Hey Carp, thanks for the lead in. It's especially good given i had a chance to shoot the stuff after the meeting. The video should be out in a day or two and folks can see for themselves, at least what was said. I was initially angry when the meeting was moved, but anger serves no purpose for the long haul. I tried to address it from a teachable moment rather than hollering at them. It was tragic the way it turned out, but talking to Vance Coleman after helped me see how we can make it even bigger and better this fall.

I need to say this: I will be going to the next board meeting and offering an apology. I blamed the board for moving the meeting out of Sun City, but it appears i may have been premature in laying that blame. Stay tuned.

5thd likes this.
  3. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Staying tuned.

4. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Making the video available online of last night's Board/Exchange Meeting will be a true test of showing the good, bad & ugly in open exchange of opinions. I hope the video isn't withheld as it shows the true nature of people. Live, unedited video can't be misconstrued. It was very uncomfortable at times to be there but the passion and constraint(by some) was like live theater. I hope a couple people watch themselves and see what others see when watching the tape.

It was probably the fact that the Democratic Club's function was advertised as a "community event" for the Democratic candidate. Had the event been a Town Forum type event with both Democrat & Republican candidates invited(whether or not they'd accept the invitation) it probably would not have been declined permission by the RCSC.

5. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

I too am awaiting the film's release with more anticipation than the release of the next "Halloween" movie. I am wondering if some of the "offensive language" - words we have all heard before but are not appropriate for this sort of event - get blipped out. But Aggie, you did not comment on what you thought of these of official titles on the Lesko web site. Also, as far as the Democrat's event was concerned, when the dog park club holds an event do you think it should be compelled to allow cats equal time?

6. BPearson

Good comments aggie and it will be interesting to see if there is any editing. People are forewarned they are being taped but apparently they don't care how they come across. No matter the outcome of this short election for Frank's seat, there will be another one this fall and the board will get the opportunity to act accordingly when the democratic club makes application for their sanctioned event. I bet everyone gets it right the next time.

What shocked me was when i asked how many people knew the name John Meeker. I always make that mistake; assume people know more than they do. Simply put, John is the reason Sun City exists north of Grand Ave. Heck, he played a huge role in how age restricted communities evolved around the country. He just never got the credit he deserved. One day i will try and get in touch with his daughter and attempt to right that wrong with a magazine showing his genius. But that's for another time when i finally get back to the museum.

For now, i think i will post yet another thread trying to explain to people how Sun City should work...but often doesn't. It may get a little uncomfortable for some folks, but such is life.

7. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

Speaking of him, I've read through most of the Meeker pages you posted. And I wondered...why doesn't Meeker have a statue? He should. I believe our resident statue aficionado, Carp, said SC has three of Del Webb. But are there any of Meeker? And what would Meeker say about all of this hubbub? I have a few more points on Meeker but I will post those on the appropriate place.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for that video and my curiosity hopes nothing is edited out.

8. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

It seems we got a believable response to the question of Sun City residents supporting a candidate but being further identified by the organization they are affiliated with at present. The fact that these elected titles were immediately removed further supports this fact. No on giving equal privileges to dogs/cats. They wouldn't play nicely together.

9. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Actually only two statue of Del Webb, one in SC and one in SCW, but a look at the history of who does and who does not get a statue reveals that it is the same folks that get their name on major streets that get the statues.

10. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

I guess I feel the need to quibble a bit about the word "believable." Lesko got 25,000 votes in the primary yet all of them were not invited to be featured on her website. Our leaders (opinion) were included because they had a title that goes along with the name. Who knows who "Jerry DeLano" is, but put President of the Sun City Board (or whatever) after his name and suddenly it has value. The titles were only removed after the rumblings started in the underground, it seems to me to be the same old tired refrain of, "'Oh I am so sorry (that I got caught)."

5thd likes this.
  11. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

The video is now online. I refuse to watch it to see if there was any editing done.

12. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

A link would be nice for those of us who are all thumbs.

This might be it.

It seems to me (I was there) that nothing was cut.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Emily Litella likes this.
  13. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

How did the Lesko people even know their titles? Why were they included on her website, as opposed to thew 25,000 others who voted for her, if not for their titles? I remain unconvinced.

Mary Ann and Cynthia like this.
  14. Cynthia

Yes they can google anything on the website, but how did they know to goggle about those names in particular? She has so many supporters, apparently, do they goggle every name to find out if they have a title? Someone from SC told them to put the names. Maybe not the board members themselves but someone told them.

I watched all of SC-span. I heard some (minimally) bad words and some anger so they probably did not edit. Kudos for that. The guy did seem to be a bit on. I do have one question about the format that still confuses me. People ask questions but no response is given, not even a cursory "the board will discuss it at our next meeting." Do they come back at the next members meeting and say they discussed it? That is one question I would ask if I were able to be present, which one day will happen.

15. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

And then they, the Lesko people, have to ask permission to use the names and don't these folks wonder "Why me?" And yes I watched the controversial parts of the meeting and it appeared to me that nothing was cut.
    When folks at the mic asked questions, unless they were obviously rhetorical, they would get an answer, sometimes somewhat mumbled. 'We will consider this at our next meeting" is a common reply.

16. BPearson

The other thing they say is if there is a question, they will get back to them with an answer. That's why they ask name and number; well that and making sure you are a card holder and not sneaking in without a card or worse yet, one of those dreaded privilege card holders.

Mary Ann and carptrash like this.
  17. Cynthia

I guess I’m not paying close enough attention so I miss it. Do they get back to the asking person only or mention it at the next meeting?

18. BPearson

I have avoided the issue, simply because there are arguments that cut both ways. Maricopa County is our government body, so aligning with them has some validity. That said, the RCSC has little to gain from the mention, while SCHOA leans on them for far more services. Debbie as our house of representatives could make a difference, as a senator, far less so. I will accept at face value the argument the folks at the RCSC didn't know they had used their titles, but as carp pointed out, just having their names didn't mean much, titles were far more important. It will be curious to see if the SCHOA staff and board ask Debbie to remove the titles or if they could care less.

On the other hand i have to disagree with E: Seeing some of our board members in Lesko cheer leading outfits could in fact scar me for life.

19. carptrash

carptrash Active Member

Usually they deal with it at the meeting, I don't know if they get back to folks after the meeting.

But think off all the fun comparing scars?

20. BruceW

BruceW Active Member

So I watched the video and have a question.
    One guy got up to the mic frothing at the mouth being rude and crude about board endorsements on Lesko’s web site.
    He went on about elected officials endorsing a particular candidate and such... he totally lost control and in my view made a fool of himself. Just my opinion, but the guy was wrong with his tirade, he was rude and crude and could have approached it in a different way.

IMHO Elected officials do this kind of thing all the time, company owners do it, actors do it, etc., it is common practice. I don't agree with that kind of activity and would not want my name on someones web site even if I agreed with their platform. I support who I want to support and it is no ones business but my own.

The guy said that the board was supporting someone that would hurt the community. I have not followed the local AZ politics so know little about either candidate. All I know is that one is a career politician and the other has zero experience in politics, neither point has any bearing on what kind of job they will do. I agree with some of what each of them say they support.

On to my question... Without getting into the left or right philosophy or saying "because she supports Trump", can someone explain why Lesko could hurt Sun City residents?

A serious question from someone that doesn't live there yet and would like to know what those that do live there think.