Pesticides--What alternatives are available to poisons

Discussion in 'Non Sun City Related Discussions' started by suncityjack, Jul 6, 2013.

1. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

Hopefully this thread can become a resource for those wishing to find alternatives for using poisons to control pests.
    I hope people will post preventative/exclusionary strategies as well as how to deal with the unwelcome creatures once they have already made an appearance.

2. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

I understand that some cats eat cockroaches & other bugs.
    So, get a cat, but then you have to deal with fleas.

Life is just a vicious circle!

3. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Google "safe way to eliminate house bugs".
    There are many, many suggestions.

4. suncityjack

You made me laugh pegmih--I nicknamed my dog "Renfield" after that poor soul that Dracula controlled by feeding him spiders and flies and promised bigger and better things one day. My dog can snap up a fly so fast she then looks baffled since I think she forgot she already ate it!

5. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

Pegmih - - Cats also take care of the scorpions - -they have that night vision - -(similar to a black light) when a scorpion is near -- cats can see them - - oh, my -- and of course the cat - - being the predator -- will go for the scorpion - probably play with it - -etc... cats are immune to scorpion bites, also.
    I use dish-wash soap mixed with water to get rid of spider mites and other nasty little pests on my shrubs...use the mix in a sprayer that attaches to an outside water hose...works great. BEES also dislike a heavy mix of DAWN and/or citrus scented dish soap mixed with water . - -
    Moth Balls can also deter critters....I had critters trying to get under my enclosed porch -- I put several moth balls into the weep-holes of porch and like magic - - critters - do not care for the moth ball fragrance - - I wonder why ??? ha-ha
    A mix of vinegar with peroxide will pretty much kill any little critter/insect/ant.....
    but the bug kill -- AMDRO works thee BEST when it comes to those horrid fire ants....and one does want to rid their area of those ants !

6. suncityjack

Anita Mae--Sounds good. What proportions for the soap combos? I've bought an insecticidal soap that is environmentally friendly and all, but always thought the detergent aspect of a dishwashing soap might be too harsh, but maybe not if the proportions are right....

7. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

Suncityjack - - when I spray a solution of dish soap with water to use to spray on my Oleanders - - I never measure - - because Oleanders are so hardy - -they will not die or even wilt with a solution that will kill the little red mites their leaves acquire sometimes in the early Spring or summer...
    The Dawn I used to kill this little group of bees coming out from underground under one of my oleanders - I just took a bucket and - again - did not really measure - - just poured a strong solution (mix of soap & water) on the bush.
    However...to answer you "What proportion" - -the rule of thumb is a 1/10 on the detergent...

8. AnMay2013

AnMay2013 New Member

Diatomaceous earth is ground up coral. The bugs get it into their systems and it cuts them up from the inside. It works ONLY on cold blooded living beings. It does NOT hurt pets. It is the stuff used in swimming pool filters. You can get it on-line and probably somewhere here locally. We purchased it in Mesa and New Mexico the last two times...there will be somewhere closer. google it!

9. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

AnMay2013

I believe this is what you are speaking of -- I googled it - - Home Depot sells it for $8.95 Sounds like a good product.

PRODUCT OVERVIEW

The Safer 4 lb. Diatomaceous Earth Ant and Crawling Insect Killer is an organic solution for banishing pesky bugs. Diatomaceous earth is effective in killing ants and other crawling insects including earwigs, cockroaches and silverfish. It is ready to use directly from the bag. The odorless dust kills the insects by dehydration or ingestion as they walk over the powder.

•Diatomaceous earth dust kills ants by dehydration or ingestion
    •Treats up to 250 sq. ft.
    •Powder is ready to use directly from the container
    •Odorless to avoid a sharp insecticide smell
    •Chemically inert to help protect the environment
    •Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) listed
    •Note: Product may vary by store.
    •MFG Model # : 51702