Museums

Discussion in 'Non Sun City Related Discussions' started by Ad Poster, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Ad Poster

Ad Poster Administrator

Want to apologize in deleting this thread started by Peg... We were trying to fix something and ended up deleting them... We were able to copy and paste them into one post (this one) and you can see all below and responses... You can continue replying to these.. again sorry for this.... Admin

The Phoenix Art Museum has exhibitions from the four corners of the world.

Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote
    07-03-2013, 06:09 PM #2
    pegmih
    Museums

Here are a few interesting museums:

The Phoenix Art Museum has exhibitions from the four corners of the world.
    http://www.phxart.org/exhibition/current

The HeardMuseum in Phoenix is the leading museum of Native art and culture in the country.
    http://heard.org

The Phippen Museum in Prescott is a Center for American Western Art.
    http://www.phippenartmuseum.org

07-03-2013, 06:40 PM #3
    suncityjack

The West Valley Art Museum is located in the
    Peoria City Hall Art Gallery at 8401 W Monroe Street.
    Gallery Hours - Mon/Tues/Wed 10 am—4 pm ~ Thurs noon - 6 pm
    623-972-0635 www.wvam.org
    And you can walk around the grounds to see some interesting sculpture, xeriscape garden, water features, etc.

07-03-2013, 09:27 PM #4
    Emily Litella

We greatly enjoyed the Mesa Air Force Museum.

http://www.azcaf.org/

Also, the Musical Instruments Museum was unique and amazing.

http://mim.org/

07-03-2013, 09:34 PM #5
    Cynthia

Interesting that the Phoenix Art Museum does not have a single membership. It's either a student or couple rate. boo.

07-03-2013, 09:37 PM #6
    Cynthia

I just saw the James Turrell exhibit at Los Angeles Museum of Modern Art. You might know he purchase an extinct crater in the desert in AZ, near Flagstaff I think, about 30 years ago and has been building the exhibit since then. He thought he would finish long ago but now he won't say when. Look up Roden Crater if you are interested

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  2. AnMay2013

AnMay2013 New Member

Heard Museum is free every Sunday in July. We love the MIM (Musical Instrument Museum) in Scottsdale and it is worth the pricey price!!

3. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

Did you hear that in August, Paraguay’s Recycled Orchestra will make its US debut at MIM. Members of the orchestra will join guests for a Family Day celebration packed with fun and inspirational activities that share their stories, passion, and music. On August 10, the public is invited to take part in museum encounters, craft activities, a musical instrument drive, self-guided tours, and a formal exhibit dedication—all included with paid museum admission. I googled that orchestra and their story is so impressive....

4. suncityjack

ASU Art Museum, Nelson Fine Arts Center, always has free admission and for most people, takes about an hour to see. It's by the ceramics building which also has lots to see I'm told (I called them and had a nice chat) and is good to park at rather than the meters. The summer hrs are Tues.-Sat. 11-5 until end of Aug. when they start increasing hours on Tues. from 11-8. Call to make sure. 480.965.2787 and they are located at Mill Ave. and Tenth St. Tempe. asuartmuseum.asu.edu/

5. suncityjack

6. suncityjack

Finally made it to the Musical Instrument Museum yesterday. Wow. Four hours wasn't nearly enough. Pricey too, so hopefully sites like Amazon local or Deal Chicken can offer twofer deals. Same for their Cafe Allegro, but understand that when they are using local produce and creating everything with such care, you're gonna pay for it, and it does help both the museum and the providers of the local flour, produce, etc. The atmosphere for the cafe was very pleasant. So clean and looking out over a well-landscaped area with water features. You order at the counter and they bring the food to you, so at least you save on tips except for what you may want to leave in the jar. You can eat there without a museum admission, but they don't advertise this well. They only serve 11-2.
    MIM.org is the museum's website, but the museum's regular site doesn't do it justice--this photographer gives quite a tour. I'm just sending this introductory link so you can see the architecture. I really like the water feature and the restaurant looks out on it.

http://bdavidcathell.com/LAHP/Archives/2011/LAHP_110131/Life_After_HP_110131.htm

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  7. archer

archer New Member

I agree the Musical Instrument Museum is expensive, but well worth it for anyone whose passion is music....and so much fun. I could spend the whole day just in the room where you can try different instruments.

8. suncityjack

Anyone ever been to Sun City's little angel museum--guess it's more of a collection, but still pretty neat.

9. archer

archer New Member

I never heard of the little angel museum....what is it? where is it? and is it good for grand kids (I am always looking for fun stuff to do with them when they visit)

10. suncityjack

It's really just a room with display cases all around chocked full of angels that someone collected and donated. It's fun to see and whenever Unity Week or an open house brings us to St. Clement of Rome church on Del Webb, always enjoy it and spot something new. I called today and was told they are open on Weds. from 8:30-11, enter through Parish Hall, but always best to check by calling them: 623-974-5867.
    Another interesting spot in Sun City is the garden with plants from the Bible. Have you been there?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013