More teachable moments...

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Oct 6, 2017.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Still waiting for something from SCHOA on my dispute> Go figure eh?

2. BPearson

The wheels are in motion all right emily. I got my ever so polite go screw yourself letter from SCHOA. Seems the executive director ran to the board and quickly insulated her business partner Tru Builder (who did a remodel at her house by the way) with a two strike clause. Of course i had a lengthy meeting with a contractor who had used Tru Builder in 2015 and had the same issues. There was no paperwork because SCHOA said don't fill any out, we'll get you some money back and the thing was dropped.

I am out $5000 because of Tru Builder and the crap work he did, but SCHOA will still keep getting his yearly fee and table rent.

Congrats guys, the organization that a couple of us saved from extinction is now stabbing residents in the back. I defy any of the board members to step up and justify this one, or how about the executive director, if you can stop drooling over your business partners.

3. BPearson

Word of mouth from neighbors and friends will always be your best option. I guess the board forgets the time and energy we put into rebuilding SCHOA. While the vendor program was a nice add-on to what their core role was, we never saw it as anything more than that. Here's the reality: If you are willing to pay them the fees and provide them with "references" (said with a smirk), you get on the list. Unfortunately it has become a money-maker for them. Add on the revenue from the two events where they sell tables at Sun Dial and it's all just cash flow.

What was the line from Jerry McGuire..."Show me the money.

4. BPearson

Gotta stay vigilant and keep those trash post from taking over the board. Dang.

5. JimPowell

JimPowell New Member

Bill, as you know I rarely post on this site, however, since my integrity has been questioned I feel I must respond. I hope when you keep talking about when “you” rebuilt SCHOA you were including my wife and I. If memory serves me correctly my wife was on the Membership Committee and I was on the Transportation Committee which is now Roads & Safety. I can also state that SCHOA is much better off financially than we were when you were on the Board but I can hardly say we are swimming in money.

As far as your problem with the vendor referal program, I was not aware of this until just recently. I will not comment until I have more information.

I have always believed the primary mission of SCHOA is to enforce the CC&Rs and I will continue to work towards that going forward.

6. BPearson

Thanks for jumping on board Jim, it was always a we when it was rebuilt. It started with Gary Ben and I but several people quickly got on joined in, including you and Julie. I have been told in the past day the board was unaware of what is going on, but i will tell you the executive director told me point blank when this issue came up she went to the board and you all passed a policy that for a business partner to be tossed from the program there needed to be "two unresolved complaints." I found that odd because i know most of you personally and you would never allow a resident to get screwed by a vendor and sit idly by. I went to SCHOA because it was the one place i was confident would take this seriously. Yet as i have talking with Carole it has become clear i was going to be dumped with no resolution. I questioned the board's integrity based on what i was told by the executive director. Obviously that wasn't the case.

7. BPearson

Jim: Just to verify what i have been saying, here is a paragraph from an email i received on 10/06/17: "As I shared yesterday, it was the decision of the Board when I addressed business partners and complaints that a business partner would be removed from the program if there were two unresolved complaints. As we’ve discussed this will maintain the credibility of the program which is mandatory."

Hope that helps clear up why i felt the way i did.

8. BPearson

And just for the record Jim, you said this: "I hope when you keep talking about when “you” rebuilt SCHOA." I went back across the articles i have written on the SCHOA rebuild and i see nowhere where I took credit for it...it was always "we."

9. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

Are they shutting this board down in March?

10. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

Sounds like it may be time for Maricopa County Smalls Claims Court. You will fall short a bit because the limit is $3500 but it is worth the effort. We did the whole BBB claims procedure for a car that qualified under the Lemon Law. It was another "teachable" ordeal we hope to not experience again. Have the other dissatisfied customers you've spoken to filed written complaints with SCHOA, BBB or to the ROC? They could be a valuable resource if filing a claim.

11. GCotten

GCotten Member

In regards to SCHOA and the contractor issue I find it difficult to understand why a "second unresolved issue" is the magic number. If the SCHOA Board is in existence for the members and residents of Sun City then why isn't the FIRST unresolved issue sufficient? What has happened to the fiduciary duties or is there in fact no duty imposed upon the board to look out for it's members. It seems like that "boards" in general take on the aire of "being fair" to all parties because they learn that they can not please everyone......so the default position is to be "fair". Unfortunately relying on that comfortable default position the board members are actually "harming" it's member ship. Remember in this case we are not talking about the concept of fairness between members but solely between a member and a vendor who basically has no standing with SCHOA.
    This is not intended to be a "pick on SCHOA" posting because the issues are the same with the RCSC Board. I know that all board members want to do the 'right thing" all the time but sometimes they just "get lost" on the very simple things. A visit to the concept of what is right for the member needs to be re-visited often.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  12. BPearson

Couldn't agree more Gary and in the past 24 hours there's been several folks who have made me question where this "policy" came from? Seems it may not have been the board at all based on what i am hearing. Tuseday's board meeting will be very interesting.

13. BPearson

Gary nailed it E and knowing board members are reading this I look for a healthy discussion at the board meeting on Tuesday.

14. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

Even if they did want to give the vendor a second chance, they should at least let members know that there has been one unresolved issue. Why let a second member get taken unaware?

15. BPearson

Plenty of vendors in the program, no reason to give him another chance to beat someone else IMHO.

16. BPearson

Great to finally have this moving forward. Stay tuned for some answers next week as this finally comes to closure.

17. BPearson

Hopefully anyone reading these threads will get the picture when it comes to remodeling their homes Be careful when hiring contractors.

18. BPearson

Truly, the best method for finding contractors is word of mouth from neighbors and friends.

19. BPearson

Besides word of mouth, Sun City residents are pretty good about showing people the kind of work a contractor does. Stay vigilant.