Mercy, we made the big time in book form...

Discussion in 'Talk of Books' started by BPearson, Aug 4, 2015.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

I've posted before I'm a big J A Jance fan. Absolutely loved her Beaumont series and enjoy reading her other two: Sherriff Brady and her limited Ali Reynolds works. The last two take place in Arizona while the other one is located in Seattle.

She has stopped by the Sun City library and signed books on a couple of occasions but haven't had an opportunity yet to meet her. The next time she comes, I hope to do just that.

I just finished her Brady "novel of suspense;" Remains of Innocence. It was another good read, but what got me was the Novella in the back of the book called "The Old Blue Line." This 74 page short story on her current husband Butch Dixon features several Sun City residents who help keep Butch from going to jail. It's a fun read and Butch's grandmother had moved to Sun City year's back.

Very cool to see us finally make the big time in print.

2. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Doesn't she also go by another name?

3. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

I had never heard that peg, but you sent me scurrying to her website which got me to read her "About Me" page.

I truly enjoy her writing and I guess it was no surprise I loved her candor when I read this clip about her:
    My ambitions to become a writer were frustrated in college and later, first because the professor who taught creative writing at the University of Arizona in those days thought girls "ought to be teachers or nurses" rather than writers. After he refused me admission to the program, I did the next best thing: I married a man who was allowed in the program that was closed to me. My first husband imitated Faulkner and Hemingway primarily by drinking too much and writing too little. Despite the fact that he was allowed in the creative writing program, he never had anything published either prior to or after his death from chronic alcoholism at age forty-two. That didn’t keep him from telling me, however, that there would be only one writer in our family, and he was it.

Thank goodness times have changed. Imagine a professor telling a young woman these days to go be a nurse or a teacher rather than pursue her passion for writing.