Keep the Momentum rolling…..

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by OneDayAtATime, Sep 21, 2021.

1. OneDayAtATime

OneDayAtATime Well-Known Member

FRONT PAGE NEWS and a picture in the Sun City Independent followed by an excellent article by Rusty Bradshaw and well-written Letters to the Editor. Could we ask for anything better? Even the residents who don’t have the internet and/or computers have a chance to know what’s been happening right under their noses.

But – we don’t stop now!!

PREPARE for Thursday, September 30 at 9 a.m. at the Sundial Recreation Center.

Wear blue!

*No raised voices
    *Be polite
    *No shouting
    *No profanity
    *No signs

The agenda should be posted and blast emailed today. If the two motions that were present on the September 13th agenda are still there, you know the drill….

*Sign up to speak on the MOTIONS before the meeting starts on the sign-up sheet located inside the auditorium. The word is the Board plans to abolish the Annual Meeting this year (heard from a pretty reliable source). They claim because the year is 3/4ths over, the budget spent, there would be no reason to have the meeting. WRONG!!

*Speak freely about ANYTHING when Member Comments open. You can ask a question; you can make a statement. It doesn’t have to be long; a simple “I don’t feel that you are representing me and my fellow citizens any longer.” Now is the time to be heard on what matters to you.

We need a Village! We need to be heard!!

3cavkings, Poison_Ivy and eyesopen like this.
  2. OneDayAtATime

So.....where's the agenda for the 30th? I thought 10 days before meeting was a requirement.

3. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

It's "at least 7 days" for regular meetings.

OneDayAtATime likes this.
  4. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

Karen at the Recreation Centers office, Phone: 623-561-4600, hold or press zero, said the September 30th RCSC Board of Directors Meeting IS STILL SCHEDULED. I asked why the agenda is not available yet. She said the requirement is seven days before the meeting.

KAREN IS WRONG!!
    “With respect to amendments to the Bylaws, notice of any proposed amendment shall be posted in RCSC Facilities and/or on the RCSC website (www.suncityaz.org) at least ten (10) days prior to a Membership meeting at which these changes shall be considered.”

https://suncityaz.org/corporate-bylaws/

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  5. SCR

SCR Active Member

Unless there is an email blast stating the above, it is just a rumor.

In any case I would imagine that the meeting has been cancelled in hopes that the Karen dismissal will be forgotten by next year.

When was the meeting scheduled for? If it was October, then the meeting for the future should be moved up by several months and before the BOD retires for the summer.

This would just be another deliberate move by the BOD to eliminate all MEMBER questions or comments.

The BOD is definitely walking on eggshells and have resorted to rent-a-cops at every meeting.

The hastily scheduled meeting on September 20 was a move by the board to make you believe they they are transparent and want to hear from members.
    The fact is that the BOD had this on the agenda for the September 13th meeting. They therefore had 7 days to prepare for the 20th meeting and to learn all they could about the 4 million expenditure for a maintenance shed. At the 20th meeting, the BOD played DUMB and said they knew nothing. My guess is that they did do their research and decided to push this agenda through. Bringing it before the members was nothing more than an attempt to show they are transparent.

6. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

Take a deep breath EO. The language is confusing to many folks, i know i had to look twice earlier this month. Clearly two different meetings; one is the "membership meeting," held once a year (used to be quarterly). The other is the "board meeting," held 10 months out of the year. While it makes no sense, the board meeting has a 7 day requirement, the membership meeting has a 10 day requirement. Don't ask me to explain the logic, i can't.

As far as anyone forgetting Karen, maybe they will, maybe they won't. What we know is a boatload of people are still gone. What we think we know is their plan to hold off this years membership meeting till next year. My guess is they will act as if they are not going to have it and with 10 days notice prior to Oct 18th (the day it was on the director's calendar), tell us it is scheduled in hopes we can't collect 1000 or more proxy votes. If the shit is still hitting the fan, they may in fact just say we aren't having the meeting.

There has never been a question they figure they can wait us out. I posted the comment regarding the resident who asked my opinion regarding starting a recall position on the president and saw nary a comment. Really? While it would be challenging, it is not impossible. It would take a coordinated effort but it could be done. The process is slow and arduous and by the time the vote came, there could well be a new president on the board and an entirely different makeup. Who knows?

The point is, stuff is happening that has never happened before in this community. If you think they are not concerned or worried, think again. This is just the beginning.

3cavkings likes this.
  7. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Member

On the Facebook group a letter from the pres to someone stated "We usually have the annual meeting in February so that our members can see the budget for the year and can give their input. We couldn’t this year due to Covid. To do the meeting now would mean we are presenting a budget to our members that has already been spent and therefore, not giving our members any say. We are planning on the meeting in February of 2022."

So are you saying they may try and trick us AGAIN and hold the meeting in Oct so we, the membership can't obtain proxies etc?

8. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

I don't think that is what she was saying P_I. I think her claim is/was because we normally have the meeting in February and that by having it on Oct 18, it wouldn't make any sense because the budget year is nearly over and nothing to see. For some odd reason the gm thinks the one membership meeting we are supposed to have per year is to review the budget. I guess when you haven't had one since 2009 you forget the membership meeting is for (wait for it) whatever the membership sees as important to them. Looking at the juiced up numbers she produces is an exercise she takes great comfort in but most members eye's glaze over.

One way or the other, October of this year, or January or February of next year, or both, the membership has the right to collect proxies and introduce changes. That is until that take those rights away as well.

9. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Gee, you mean we can't or don't talk about anything else except the budget??? Crazy!

You're right Bill, this is OUR meeting and there are many items that need to be addressed...and the budget isn't necessarily one because they have been approving it since 2009 without any input from the Members!!!

Just one more violation of the bylaws:

ARTICLE IV – MEMBERSHIP MEETINGS
    SECTION 1: ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING

An annual meeting of the Members shall be held each year. (emphases added)

It doesn't say "may," "should," or "could" or whether it's an option....it say's "SHALL"!

eyesopen and Poison_Ivy like this.
  10. OneDayAtATime

But, FYI, if the Board introduces the motion to change all instances of "shall" to "may" in our bylaws AND if they do so on Thursday, the 30th, AND it passes AND they have the second reading of the motion on Monday, Oct. 11th and it passes AND they waive the third reading, they can proceed either at that same meeting or the next (Thur. Oct. 28th)then make a motion to not have a meeting this year since it's 3/4th over and the money has already been spent.

11. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

You won't get an argument out of me One Day. You're right; once the motion passes, whether they do it in 1, 2 or 3 readings it becomes the new amended bylaw and takes effect immediately.

I believe the board has many reasons to change the wording because all the reasons would benefit them and none of reasons are for the good of the Members! Just one more way for the board to make the Members irrelevant!

OneDayAtATime likes this.