Hummingbird

Discussion in 'Pets' started by pegmih, Jun 13, 2015.

1. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Here is a picture of Humming Bird nest on an outside hanger.
    Click on picture to enlarge.

Look very close at top to see the bird sitting on nest.

How long before eggs hatch?

Hbird2best.jpg

2. HenryN

HenryN New Member

Hello, pegmih: How fortunate you are to have one so close where you can watch things unfold! I think you're looking at between two to three weeks before you have new and very tiny hummingbirds in your nest. Hummingbirds are a passion of mine and they keep me busy feeding them here in the Midwest. Last year I went through nearly 80 pounds of sugar during the months of April through early October by which time they've migrated south for the winter. The 6 months they're here I pretty much work for them! Do you see lots of hummingbirds in the Sun City area and are they with you year-round? Neat picture!

3. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Yes, there are lots of hummingbirds in Sun City.
    Don't know if they are here year round.
    Someone will surely reply with answer.

Glad you liked the picture. I had to take many in order to get a good one.
    Still, it is rather difficult to really see the hummingbird.

Does Mama kick the little ones out or do they just fly away?

4. HenryN

HenryN New Member

A good pair of birding binoculars would be a big help to you as things progress. Once the little guys hatch they should be in the nest for around three weeks and will grow rapidly during that period. They'll fledge when they're ready and you will probably see them as they check things out around your patio. Having a feeder close by will greatly increase your chances of seeing them out and about. Interesting thing about hummingbirds is how fast the chicks grow and that they're virtually full sized by the time they leave the nest...which stretches to accommodate them! Hummingbirds are pretty amazing!

5. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

Thank you.
    I will be keeping my feeder full.

6. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

7. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

I've been watching hummingbird nest on a live webcam for several years. This is hummer is sitting on two eggs now and has about 1 more week until they hatch. She comes and goes from the nest to feed. When they hatch you can watch the chicks grow. http://www.bellahummingbird.com/

8. HenryN

HenryN New Member

pegmih: How are things going with your hummingbird nest? I hope you've had an opportunity to see chicks and that all is well. You mentioned Sierra Vista in an earlier post. We've been down there; it is an amazing place for hummingbird viewing and well worth the trip. The sabo organization is very helpful and full of great information. If you've never seen a banding demonstration I hope you will have the opportunity to do so at some point.

9. pegmih

pegmih Well-Known Member

On June 21, the mama hummingbird was there feeding her 2 little ones.
    I remember the day exactly because my son took pictures.
    The next day they were gone and haven't seen them since.

Now my question is. Should I remove the nest or save it for another time?

10. Cynthia

It's illegal to remove it without a rehab licence. You cant keep feathers or even dead body of migrating birds. Not supposed to touch anything. That law was passed in the early 1900s because so many birds were made extinct for their feathers for hats. They could no longer use the excuse that they had found a dead bird and used the feathers. Many bird nests are used or reused by other birds but not hummers, although sometimes they will pick the nest material to make a new one. It will just fall apart on its own.

11. HenryN

HenryN New Member

If I were in your position, and, sadly, I've never had that chance, I'd leave it where it is and see what happens next year. I don't think I'm wrong in saying there is a good chance your hummingbird will return. Here in the Midwest where I am now seeing lots of activity around my feeders, I am convinced most of it is from returning customers and that many have had nests in nearby trees. I do believe they return to the same places for nesting from one year to the next. I know my numbers have increased over the years and I think making the feeders available consistently has helped with that. Glad to hear you got to see them before they got away!

12. Cynthia

Gray and white could be a mockingbird. They can be aggressive. I see them chasing crows away, which are much bigger.