Having Trouble Meeting People? Check Out These West Valley/Sun Cities Social Groups

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by GirafeLady, Aug 11, 2013.

1. GirafeLady

GirafeLady New Member

I recently joined some Meetup Groups (www.Meetup.com) in the West Valley. By attending the planned activities (known as Meetups) I've not only made some wonderful new friendships, but also discovered all kinds of new places to share a meal, see a movie, listen to live music, volunteer, and much more! The following are just a handful of the hundreds of social and special-interest Meetup Groups available within 15-20 miles of Sun City, Sun City West, Sun City Grand, and Sun City Festival (I've included links to their webpages):

SUN CITY WOMEN'S NEW FRIENDS GROUP (http://www.meetup.com/Sun-City-New-Friends-Group/) -Senior women 65+ who want to make new friends and enjoy life together … music events, the theater, travel, lunch/dinner, bunco players, movies … positive, social-minded, friendly women would want to participate in this group.

WEST VALLEY MOVIE GROUP (http://www.meetup.com/WestValleyMoviegroup/) - Get together once or twice a month to discuss the latest movies at a local restaurant after the movie. This is a fun group; people talk about whatever they want: movies, events, the economy, real estate, jobs, games, whatever. Come and have fun!

WEST VALLEY ACTIVITIES GROUP (http://www.meetup.com/friends-206/) Do you enjoy socializing with friends and exploring new venues across the Valley? Our group will host events for everyone (we are not specifically a singles group nor a couples group) mostly in the West Valley, but also throughout the Metropolitan Phoenix area. Activities may include dining out, hiking, festivals, sporting events, wine tasting, movies, card games, and other special events.

39 AND HOLDING (http://www.meetup.com/singles-928/) A down-to-earth bunch of Baby Boomer singles (plus couples who have met in the group), who pride themselves in being friendly and welcoming. In addition to socializing, this group also does a lot of volunteering, including St. Mary's Food Bank. In February, they collect prom dresses for teenage girls; in July, it's school supplies for needy families; and in October; blankets for homeless people.

Check 'em out and have some fun!! 8~)

P.S. When you go someplace cooler for the summer, search Meetup.com for groups in those areas, as well!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  2. archer

archer New Member

Does the RCSC run any kind of social groups where people can meet other Sun City residents, no necessarily involving a theme, or activity.....simply social?

3. Anita Mae

Anita Mae Member

Check The Sun City Views - - comes out once a month in the Free Sun City Independent Paper. -- or check the Sun City paper for an entire list of clubs. There are so many nice clubs in Sun City -- social as well as active. Can always meet new friends !
    One never gets bored living in Sun City -- - - Sun City has so much to offer !

4. GirafeLady

GirafeLady New Member

Although I've been a full-time Sun City, AZ resident these past 5+ years, I am not a homeowner; and even though my landlord has to pay the annual "assessment" that produces the Rec Cards for this house, I am not allowed to use them! So, for me to participate in RCSC social groups, activites or anything, for that matter, I would have to shell out 200-some dollars and buy an RCSC membership! I just don't have that kind of income, and it's why I've chosen to join a few of these Meetup Groups, where the only cost to me is my meal, or my movie ticket, or admission to some other venue. More importantly (to me, anyway), I'm meeting and interacting with people of all ages, not just other seniors … and there are no membership fees!

So, if, like me, you're not an RCSC Cardholder—and even if you are—why not broaden your horizons and check out the interesting activty and special interest groups available to you on Meetup.com … and don't forget, when you go back East or Up North somewhere, look for ones in those areas, as well. I doubt you will regret it! :drunk:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013