Concrete countertops

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Fiona, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Fiona

Fiona New Member

When we remodeled our little shack here in S.C we did our own concrete countertops and they are wonderful. The entire kitchen countertop only cost us $500 for forms and material. Be happy to offer some insight.

2. bmac007

bmac007 Member

WOW!! That's cheap!! So you bought the concrete and did it yourself? How did you stabilize the concrete so it doesn't move? Do you use something like liquid Nails?

3. Fiona

Fiona New Member

Hi bmac!

We formed the countertops and then poured the concrete, troweled then waited for it to set up a bit then troweled again. The forms we used were pretty beefy to hold the concrete in place. I will try and dig up some photos and post them...if I can figure out how to post photos hahah. We love the look of concrete and used a med grey colorant by Davis colors. We used a penetrating sealer to seal them. It was far cheaper than the quotes we got from the Phoenix contractor who does countertops.

4. Sulley007

Sulley007 New Member

So is the finish smooth and shiny? I guess low maintenance! To insert a picture click on the icon that is the 3rd from the right.

5. Fiona

Fiona New Member

Ok. I will find the photos and give it a shot. We used a matt/low gloss sealer and they have been holding up well with my messy cooking. We will reseal them this summer then put a beeswax on.

6. Fiona

Fiona New Member

DSCF0905.jpg DSCF0908.jpg

I hope this worked. Here is the concrete countertop in our kitchen.

7. Fiona

Fiona New Member

DSCF0906.jpg

We added a small coffee bar and the shelf around the kitchen is also made of concrete.

8. Sulley007

Sulley007 New Member

Those counter tops look great! Better than I was imagining they might even. How often do you have to seal these?

9. Fiona

Fiona New Member

We plan on sealing them soon and if you want to use a wax that works as well. Probably with heavy use, every year but with light cooking every other year would be fine. Glad you like them. The most important part of the process was to make sure our forms were level, and very secure. The mix was not as wet as some sugesst but it worked out fine. Davis Concrete Colors have so many different stains it makes you dizzy so we went with a med grey.

10. bmac007

bmac007 Member

So COOL!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

It really helps to see them when you click on the pictures as they blow up!!

11. moyakelly

moyakelly New Member

Concrete countertop are easy to build and inexpensive. I think if we use concrete vibrator while pouring concrete in counter top frame then it will work even better.
    We also choose color of countertop as per our convenience like we can use matching colors with kitchen cabinets, kitchen walls, etc.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  12. LAPPY50

LAPPY50 Super Moderator

Wow, I am really impressed...They really look great! I think I like them better than Granite. You have a very airy, sun-filled kitchen to boot!!! We are going to redo our primary residence this summer and will check this out for sure. Thanks for posting the pics. My wife will like this for sure!

Have a great week, Fiona!

13. CopperLady

CopperLady New Member

I love the look of concrete. Can you tint it any color ?

14. Fiona

Fiona New Member

Thank you Lappy.

Copperlady...yes you can use a colorant and Davis Concrete colors are my favorite. Colors for every taste, even plum. Their tans are also very nice. I think they will send you a sample box if you ask for one. Home Depot and Lowes also have some stains and colorants as well.

15. bmac007

bmac007 Member

moyakelly, Can you post a picture of them? Would love to see them and how they turned out?

16. Fiona

Fiona New Member

Moyakelly...please post your countertops and anyone else that has done a little remodel. I love looking at concrete lol.

17. JohnCarter

JohnCarter New Member

I don't have any experience with laminate counter tops from IKEA, but can't imagine trying to peel standard laminate off particle board. If the laminate is stuck well, I wouldn't attempt to remove it.

18. Ken

Ken Administrator

Thanks JohnCarter... I was thinking same thing... If that laminate is stuck I wouldn't mess with it.. would you try an adhesive remover?