Board Candidates...

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by BPearson, Oct 2, 2021.

1. BPearson

BPearson Well-Known Member

We've all been curious about the number of candidates for the four open seats. I'm not sure what they are waiting for in releasing that information. 8 candidates turned in their packets, no i am not one of them. I have zero interest sitting in the room fighting with people.

Anyway, now it may well be pared down to 7, before the election even begins. Lori Ellingson (not sure on the spelling) may not be able to attend a meeting next week. In the election packet it says quite plainly it is a Must Attend. I have no idea if they have required it in the past as strictly as they are this year, so i won't lambast anyone. I just don't know.

If you watched the meeting the other day, Lori was quite vocal and pretty spot on about her points for being on the board. It would be sad to lose her before the process even begins. Hopefully she can adjust her scheduled commitments and attend the meeting on the 6th.

Having served for 3 years on the board and taking on more than my share of duties, i was always fascinated by how some of those serving seemed to get preferential treatment, especially around golf days. What the hell, we all know life isn't always fair.

2. OneDayAtATime

OneDayAtATime Active Member

Hey, Bill, where do you get your "inside" information?!! How do you already know how many candidates?!! ;)
    When do they announce the candidates?

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  3. BPearson

I know a several of the candidates who contacted me when they first were notified (yesterday), some wondering why i didn't run? Since the initial email was sent Lori sent me a text where she told them she had a problem on the 6th and they said, too bad. She agreed to come before or after to make it work and again they said, too bad.

Additional thought: I am a harmless old man and people love to talk to me.

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  4. OneDayAtATime

They are just out of control! Wouldn't you think that they have waited to schedule a "must attend" meeting after finding out who was running and what their schedule was??!! That's too "nice." And they keep talking about Respect!!

Not sure about the harmless part!! You keep throwing fodder in these posts for me to ask questions about!! :p

Michael Wendel, eyesopen and BPearson like this.
  5. Say What

Say What Active Member

BILL we need you to run. This is the most important election in the history of Sun City! Please for the sake of everyone who agrees with me on this! Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

3cavkings likes this.
  6. BPearson

Too late Say What. I elected not to turn in a packet. There are obviously people who want to serve on the board, at this point in my life, i don't. Part of my reasoning is selfish, the rest is the community has to get involved. The exiting gm had a vision, it most assuredly wasn't mine. In fact, i was 100% going in the other direction. Once she is gone, perhaps the new gm will be more interested in returning to our roots. Sadly, he is off to a rocky start.

The good news is this McAdam fiasco awoke the community, at least a little bit. The idea we (those of us belonging to the TOSC community) can become an external pressure is intriguing to me. Still sorting through whether to do it on this site or building our own sort of Welcome To Sun City AZ site is fascinating. TOSC is up and running but too splintered for any real targeted effort. Lots of options and it won't be my choice alone. Others are interested. Stay tuned.

eyesopen likes this.
  7. BPearson

Now i hear there were only 7 candidates and that will be weeded down to 6 as they flush Lori for not attending a must attend meeting.

8. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Here's your candidates:

Karen McAdam, Alan Lenefsky, Stella Van Ness, Frank Thorwald, Kat Fimmel, Candy Ruggiero, and John Nowakowski

9. Say What

Say What Active Member

Van Ness retread POS The woman finds it necessary every time there is a vote to be dramatic in her yay and nay. JOKE! Runs around rec centers like she owns them and rude to members.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  10. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

Friend informed me a couple of weeks ago about this potential candidate & was provided this information:

Frank Thorwald

Frank Thorwald

Public Interest Representative

Frank Thorwald is managing Member of The Thorwald Group LLC. He is also the Chairman of the Arizona Oil and Gas Commission and a member of the Governor’s Regulatory Review Council. Frank served 3 Governors of Arizona on the Council on Workforce Policy; Transportation Vision 21 Task Force and the Commerce and Economic Development Commission.

Much more:

https://grrc.az.gov/atlargemember2

11. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

Pretty impressive guy, but it appears he's still actively managing his Group? And with all his other affiliations I wonder if he can devote the proper amount of hours to the RCSC to fulfill his obligations and responsibilities?

12. eyesopen

Will be addressed during Candidate Forums, I’m sure.

13. eyesopen

suncityjack likes this.
  14. suncityjack

suncityjack Active Member

Here's the list as sent out by RCSC and the term info etc.:
    RCSC Announces Candidates Running in 2021 Elections

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The Recreation Centers of Sun City Board of Directors and the Elections Committee is pleased to announce the names of the candidates who will be on the ballot in this year’s election:
    • Kat Fimmel
    • Karen McAdam
    • Alan Lenefsky
    • Frank Thorwald
    • John Nowakowski
    • Candy Ruggiero
    • Stella Van Ness
    Candidates are vying for four RCSC Board of Directors positions this election - three 3-year positions and one 2-year position. The directors whose terms on the Board expire at the end of the year are Treasurer Sheila Rooney and Directors Rich Hoffer, Dan Schroeder and Gene Westemeier. The top three candidates with the most votes will serve 3-year terms and the fourth vote-getter will serve a 2-year term. All candidates must receive a minimum of 100 votes in order to win a seat on the Board. Should there not be four eligible winners, the Board will appoint another Member to complete the term(s) which remain unfilled.

RCSC Cardholders will have the opportunity to meet the candidates and hear their stance on the issues at two Candidate Forums on Monday, November 1 from 2 to 4pm and Wednesday, November 3 from 6 to 8pm. Both Forums will be held in the Sundial Auditorium. Candidates will be available to meet and greet attendees starting 30 minutes prior the start of each session and light refreshments will be offered. There will also be the opportunity to view video recordings of these sessions on the RCSC YouTube channel for those unable or uncomfortable attending in person.

Other opportunities to meet and speak with the candidates include at upcoming Board Meetings (if candidate is able to attend) on October 11, 28, November 8, 18 and December 6. All Board Meetings begin at 9am in the Sundial Auditorium.

Candidate biographies will be available at the Corporate/Board Office at Lakeview Center, in upcoming editions of the SunViews newsletter and via the RCSC Web Portal once online voting begins on Monday, November 8, 2021 at 8am.

While RCSC Members are encouraged to sign up and use the RCSC Web Portal to cast their ballots, they will also be able to vote in-person on Election Day (Tuesday, December 14) from 8am to 4pm in the Lakeview Social Hall #2 should that be their preference.

Lastly, absentee ballots may be requested by contacting the Corporate Office at 623-561-4600 beginning on November 8; the last day to request an absentee ballot be mailed is Friday, December 3. Members also have the option of picking up an absentee ballot at the Corporate Office during this period, but all absentee ballots must be received no later than December 14.

Those elected to serve on the Board will be sworn in at the Board Meeting on Thursday, December 16, 2021 in the Sundial Auditorium.

15. OneDayAtATime

The recent release from RCSC - RCSC Announces Candidates Running in 2021 Elections - states that you can meet and greet them on Monday, November 1, and Wednesday, November 3, and that they may be available at Board meetings to meet and speak with.

But nowhere did I see them announce that these Meet and Greets were also going to be OUR (as members in good standing) opportunity to ASK QUESTIONS of each and every one of them! Multiple questions! Multiple times!! In checking back on the RCSC website, YouTube, All Videos, you can still watch the two sessions that were held last year. You can observe members asking questions. I'm sure it was an oversight on their part, and if one of them is reading TOSC, they may add the correction/verbiage.

IN THE MEANTIME - Watch those videos! Write down your questions! Attend one of the sessions! Living in Sun City can't just be all fun and games; this is our privilege. We hate to see those privileges taken away!!

16. eyesopen

This is what I’ve heard:

Our opportunity to ask questions of the candidates will be on Monday, November 1 @ 2 p.m. at Sundial with a social beginning 1/2-hour prior. The second forum will be on Wednesday, November 3 @ 6 p.m. at Sundial with a social starting at 5:30 p.m.

Watch past candidates and board meetings, scroll down to locate all that are available.

RCSC YouTube Video Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdLy0Uy9sKWCJNLz37tn5ug

17. OneDayAtATime

Yes, EO, I "heard" that also; but it's not worded like that in the release. Nowhere do I read that we are allowed to ask questions. Meet and Greet and/or Meet and speak are not "ask questions."

18. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

That's exactly what the 2 candidate forums are all about. You can show up early and actually meet the candidates, then when the forum starts, (half-hour later), you can ask them questions.

eyesopen likes this.
  19. OneDayAtATime

FYI - Yes, I know that, and you know that. But there are a lot of new residents here in Sun City who might not read between the words Meet and Greet and assume that there will be a time period for questions.

carptrash and eyesopen like this.
  20. SCR

SCR Active Member

Is there a time limit of any kind in the candidate forums?