Best Golf Car on the market?

Discussion in 'All about Golf Carts and things' started by supersox, Sep 1, 2015.

1. supersox

supersox New Member

I have heard lots of different opinions on who makes the best golf car. I see that some will say club car and Ez go are the best , but the more research I do, the more I start to understand that those companies make golf carts for golf courses. Are those considered safe to be driven on the street? I wouldn't feel safe driving a rental vehicle from a golf course on the street, so why would I feel good about buying a golf cart from someone like that? I have also heard that the range on the electric golf carts are very minimal. Especially if I want to increase the speed since higher speed should theoretically use more power. Anyone have a thought on this? The prices are attractive on some of the ez go and club cars, but I am unsure if they are the right fit for driving on the street based on safety and comfort. I know a lot of folks like gas, but it is hard to find gas vehicles. One place said they are not being manufactured as much as they use to which can lead to higher prices for vehicles and parts/maintenance. I also know a lot of courses around me don't event allow gas.

What are your thoughts???

2. Mullet

Mullet Member

I was hoping you would have gotten some expert replies by now, supersox. I've been doing Internet research lately because I'll soon be in the market.

It looks like most of the traditional golf car manufacturers are now making cars suitable for both the golf course and neighborhood streets. As expected, those with dual purpose, command a higher price. There are also some EV makes (ie GEM) that are units more traditionally used as neighborhood or shuttle vehicles but that can also double as golf cars. These seem to be built up a little more and perhaps are a tad safer on the streets. They are also less handy on the golf course due to access and accessories. I've seen thirty to sixty mile ranges advertised, speeds generally top out at twenty to twenty-five mph.

Gas cars are still really available and cost considerably less. They have lots of power and have a greater range. The tradeoffs being the need for gas, the fumes and the maintenance needs an internal combustion engine requires. They are also somewhat louder.

If you're in SuN City in a couple weeks, you might see me test driving golf carts. I'll be the one with the smile on my face and the bugs in my teeth. :welcoming:

3. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

I think the safety of the golf cart is 90% dependent on the driver's awareness on the streets of Sun City. We have a 1987 Yamaha gas engine with seat belts that are ALWAYS used. I feel as safe in the cart as I would on a bicycle. We give cars a wide berth and are careful to always signal lane changes. You're right about the noise and fumes but ours is only used on a rare occasion and no longer for golf. Insurance is only $75 a year, put gas in a couple times a year and we've had no mechanical problems in the 15 years we've owned it.

4. Mullet

Mullet Member

Good points by aggie on the safety. Defensive driving will serve one well as the golf cart driver will always come out on the bad end of an accident. Regarding maintenance, an electric will require minimal battery upkeep but you will need an expensive battery replacement after a few years. With gas, it may run forever without a major expense.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  5. aggie

aggie Well-Known Member

I think it is also true that many of the newer developments won't allow gas carts at all. Not sure if it's just on their golf courses but in the neighborhoods also. The Original Sun City has no restrictions and I've seen atvs, custom carts and even a motorized loveseat!

6. Mullet

Mullet Member

Too much. Now, a motorized recliner and I'm in.

7. J_and_V

J_and_V Member

Mullet - Let us know how the test drives go. I'll be looking for something in a couple of months.

Vanetta

8. J_and_V

J_and_V Member

Hey Mullet - have you been able to do any test drives yet?

9. Mullet

Mullet Member

Not yet, Vanetta. Probably still a couple weeks out. My teeth remain bug free.

10. clamundson

clamundson New Member

All:

This is a very interesting post. I could easily ask the same question in the Auto Industry. What is the best automobile on the market? I think it entirely depends on how you use the vehicle. Are you looking for a sports cars? A hybrid? An SUV? It gets more down to the solution orientation a vehicle is designed for. I have over 4 years of factory experience in this industry, and the biggest disconnect we find is the education and information floating around in the community. If anyone would like, then I'd be happy to provide as much information as possible to help come up with the best solution for your lifestyle. My number is 952-270-2580 and my name is Caleb. Best of luck on your vehicle evaluations!

11. J_and_V

J_and_V Member

Hey Caleb....Thanks for signing up and weighing in on this issue.

I think it's a bit different with golf car(t)s, particularly in the context of this site - I doubt anyone is looking for a tricked out - stretch, 4 wheel drive, mudder that sips gas and relies heavily on battery power. But I could be terribly wrong and if I am, I hope I see this particular vehicle cruising the streets of Sun City.

Also different is the amount of information available. I can go into any grocery store, listen to any tv/radio show, type in a broad search parameter, and find information on cars/vans/SUV's and/or hybrids and start doing comparisons. Also different is most of already know the rules of the road where cars are concerned, and we trust that the car makers and government are in agreement on what cars meet or exceed the minimum requirements set before allowing a car on the road (ok, the VW snafu doesn't apply)

Full disclosure, I have spent more time focused on buying the house and coordinating the move than I have on golf car(t) research. I have done a bit of online research, most is outdated or heavily weighted toward what the particular owner or author is trying to sell.

So, if you have any comparable info on golf car(t)s as I can get on auto's, please share the link.

12. 3rdGen

3rdGen Member

When I first moved here I just had to have a Golf cart, My Grandma and most
    of here buds all had Yamaha's and that is what I ended up getting.

A High speed axle is a must ;)

I never had any issues or surprises :)

13. Mullet

Mullet Member

PhotoPictureResizer_151213_1913303-800x450.jpg

This was our choice.

14. J_and_V

J_and_V Member

Excellent choice....

On our trip in November we test drove the EZGo golf cart and the 2Five, we will be placing our order soon.

15. Riley

Riley New Member

Club Car Gas clearly the best golf cart by far.

16. Cynthia

Cynthia Well-Known Member

17. Mullet

Mullet Member

Thanks, Cynthia. :cool: