The GM’s actual authority

Discussion in 'Sun City General Discussions' started by Larry, Mar 31, 2024.

1. OneDayAtATime

OneDayAtATime Well-Known Member

That meeting is not posted on the RCSC website or the email blast sent out today. Are you speaking out of turn by telling us about this?
    Jean Totten as One Day at a Time

eyesopen and Janet Curry like this.
  2. MikeM

MikeM Member

Sonora Room is in the Grand Center. 70 person max.

eyesopen and Janet Curry like this.
  3. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

I get it and agree, that's how the Articles of Incorporation currently read.

The Articles also say "6 years total, on the Board of Directors ," which means the statement in the bylaws that doesn't count time served as an appointee is in conflict with the Articles!

4. John Fast

John Fast Active Member

Jean, I am not sure what you mean by speaking out of turn. If this is a meeting with both committees present is it not open to members? If not, why not? Just curious what you mean. John

Janet Curry likes this.
  5. John Fast

John Fast Active Member

Tom, I tend to agree with you that the Articles say 6 years total and make no mention of appointments. These are not exactly what I would call model Bylaws. John

6. Larry

Larry Well-Known Member

7. Larry

Larry Well-Known Member

How are people added to the SC Foundation? Is it a closely knit group that pick and choose members as they see fit? I don’t ever remember any information about membership

Janet Curry and eyesopen like this.
  8. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

The Articles need to be amended in at least 4 places.
    1 place refers to a specific Arizona Revised Statute that no longer exists under that number, 2 places refer to specific articles in the bylaws that no longer address thst concern.

An amendment to the Articles of Incorporation should consider allowing those who have served as a Director to serve again after a specific time away. It makes no sense to put a lifetime ban on serving. Very unusual to see that. Most other documents I've seen always allows for a time away.

Enigma and Linduska like this.
  9. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

It's Tom Marone, John.

10. FYI

FYI Well-Known Member

But that's where you run into that nasty "6 years total, on the Board of Directors."

Just for giggles, how are those appointees selected to serve? They are elected by the board!

Linduska, Janet Curry and Enigma like this.
  11. OneDayAtATime

That's a good question, John. The Sun City Update, paper April edition, stated that the Finance and Budget Committee meeting is this Wednesday at 1 pm at Lakeview Recreation Center in the Board room. The email blast received today echoes that. But Dave (Geoffrey de Villehardouin) - who is a member of the Finance and Budget Committee, said this on page 3 of this same thread: "The joint LRP/Budget &Finance meeting is scheduled for this Wednesday the 17th from 2:30-5 at the Great Senoran Room wherever that is located. My guess is Oakmont. This should be interesting." (The room is actually at Grand Recreation Center and is called the Sonoran room - and it has video-taping capability). So now I'm confused. The LRPC meets at 1 at Lakeview and then rushes over to the Grand center for this combined meeting that hasn't been published? Maybe a phone call to the corporate office to confirm either of these meetings is in order. It's not the first time that the information we receive may have changed.
    Board Office 623-561-4620
    Corporate Office 623-561-4600
    Joelyn Dinnella Higgins, Communications Coordinator, at (623) 561-4616.

Jean Totten as One Day at a Time

Janet Curry, Enigma and eyesopen like this.
  12. Happy Hippie

Happy Hippie Active Member

All I know about the foundation is that there is a huge lack of communication. I reluctantly needed to ask for assistance this year and had a number of questions to ask about the application, like who sees the info, why do you need this information, etc. The answer I got from here was Nobody gives even one shit who you are; no one. Unfortunately I fired back and things just exploded from there. I tore up the application. Whether asking for or giving donations trash talk is no way to handle it. I worked for the CPO of Sun Health Foundation for many years. The front line in SC needs training. The offices are usually the first point of contact with a potential buyer or a new homeowner. Between HOA compliance, RCSC card member services, and SCF I have always had an easier time at the DMV or USPS. The emails I have from them are mind boggling. In prep for my move to SCW I have called several offices and actually got help. People running this place are NOT seeing what I see, or listening to what I hear.

Josie Petersen

Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
    Janet Curry and OneDayAtATime like this.
  13. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

Defines a term as one year with no reference to term limits!! “They may serve more than one term,” forever??

BYLAWS OF THE SUN CITY FOUNDATION
    ARTICLE V. BOARD OF DIRECTORS

SECTION 3. ELECTION AND TENURE: At its January meeting the Board of Directors of RCSC shall elect new Directors of this Corporation to fill vacancies on the Foundation Board of Directors. Directors shall serve for a one (1) year term, unless said Director resigns or is removed from office as provided in Section 4 of this Article. Directors may serve more than one (1) term. See Article VI - OFFICERS - Section 2.(it’s section 1 on document)
    SECTION 1. OFFICERS: The officers of the Corporation shall be a president, a vice-president, a secretary and a treasurer, each of whom shall be elected by its Board of Directors from its membership. The president and vice-president shall be Directors who are currently on the RCSC Board of Directors

Article VI - ELECTION AND TERM OF OFFICE:
    The officers of the Corporation shall be elected annually for one (1) term by the Board of Directors at the January annual meeting of the Board of Directors. See Article V, Section 3 - Election and Tenure.(above)

Found this of interest because they are not inclined to even welcome member observers to non confidential part of their monthly meetings, let alone appoint to a committee to assist! EO

ARTICLE VII. COMMITTEES
    SECTION 1: APPOINTMENT OF COMMITTEES: The Board of Directors, by resolution adopted by majority vote of the Directors present at any meeting at which a quorum is present, may appoint any committee to assist the Board in carrying out its functions.
    SECTION 2: COMMITTEES:
    (a): Any committee appointed by the Board, per Section 1 of this Article, may
    include non-directors, but shall include at least one (1) Director. The chairman of the committee.

(TMI? Sorry. EO)

Bylaws https://f2f286.a2cdn1.secureserver....SC-Foundation-Corporate-Bylaws-F-10-12-20.pdf

More about the Foundation:
    https://www.suncityfoundation.org/

Janet Curry likes this.
  14. Linda McIntyre

Linda McIntyre Well-Known Member

Currently the majority of the Foundation Board is required by its Articles of Incorportation to be made up of a majority of current or past RCSC Board members. It is organized as a supporting organization of RCSC. However, other members may be appointed. It "appears" there are no term limits, or they are not adhered to, and they are currently free to choose their members.

Janet Curry likes this.
  15. OneDayAtATime

:(

Janet Curry likes this.
  16. Larry

Larry Well-Known Member

Janet Curry likes this.
  17. Larry

Larry Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.

Linda McIntyre likes this.
  18. Linda McIntyre

Linda McIntyre Well-Known Member

Larry - it seems like perpetuity is an option.

eyesopen likes this.
  19. Janet Curry

Janet Curry Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
    Linda McIntyre and eyesopen like this.
  20. eyesopen

eyesopen Well-Known Member

An option that needs to be reviewed!

Linda McIntyre and Janet Curry like this.